News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 20, 2020, 12:55:02 PM
A great shame.  The re-release and release of Battat dinosaurs was a big thing as I began collecting models a few years back.  I was so disappointed when it became clear some would never see the light of day.  Especially that Pentaceratops.
I DO talk as if there were no glimmer of hope, I know, but it is possible that they may release it someday. Battat is nothing if not unpredictable, IMO.

Bokisaurus

Amazing group! It really is a shame they never got produced.
But who knows, these figures have risen from the dead once, they may do so again in the future.
I'm glad you did this project, it really drives home the point of "what could have been " with this line.

SidB

B @Bokisaurus , it took a while to get them all painted, the cost was reasonable, and I anticipated adding them to my collection as a memorial to what Dan created and what might have been, but what I most wanted to do was post them here for the community to enjoy and reminisce about.

Plus, there's one more to come -very soon.

Shonisaurus

S @SidB Could it be the tyrannosaurus rex? It is one of my favorite dinosaurs of the Battat brand. In fact I have the three old versions of that unrepeatable tyrannosaurus.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 20, 2020, 06:40:43 PM
S @SidB Could it be the tyrannosaurus rex? It is one of my favorite dinosaurs of the Battat brand. In fact I have the three old versions of that unrepeatable tyrannosaurus.
Well, no, actually on the other side of the measure size-wise. I didn't include any of Dan's repaints that WERE re-issued, and of course, that would be the Tyrannosaurus rex, Ceratosaurus, Amargasaurus, Parasaurolophus, Eupocephalus, Carnotaurus, Stegosaurus, and Acrocanthosaurus. As you no doubt know, the Utahraptor and Gallimimus were not scheduled, due to the possibility of a major re-sculpt and that only leaves ...

SidB

The last one, the Pachycephalosaurus, still one of the best made, despite the 1990's style pronation of the wrists. Again, the paint scheme enhances what was a fine sculpt.

This brings the show to an end and I'm really glad to have been able to share this with you, since Dan wasn't here to be able to shepherd the eight that didn't make it to market from the 1990's collection (I exclude the famous and iconic Diplodocus, which hasn't yet made it into my collection). Neither are the minis, all of which I have, except for the T-rex, since none of these were planned for re-issue.

Shonisaurus

That chocolate brown color combined with beige brown has resulted in a very good repainting of the pachycephalosaurus that is much more realistic than the original version. Nice repainting.

Faelrin

S @SidB Your repaints of all of these in Dan's proposed color schemes for the reproductions that sadly never came to be, are absolutely wonderful.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Quote from: Faelrin on April 20, 2020, 11:10:08 PM
S @SidB Your repaints of all of these in Dan's proposed color schemes for the reproductions that sadly never came to be, are absolutely wonderful.
Very glad that you found them a positive experience, after all, apart from being beautiful, they are a part of the DTF/DTB heritage, as Dan was a member along with all of us. It's good to have that personal connection.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 20, 2020, 08:31:09 PM
That chocolate brown color combined with beige brown has resulted in a very good repainting of the pachycephalosaurus that is much more realistic than the original version. Nice repainting.
Thanks. Too bad there aren't any more, but I guess that makes this limited run all the more poignant, I suppose.

Flaffy

Lovely repaints, really shows what potential this line could've had.
Such a damn shame a lot of these were unreleased. I would've gladly sacrificed the Stegosaurus and Ceratosaurus for things like the Pachycephalosaurus, Triceratops and Ouranosaurus. (along with all the new sculpts as well)

I still don't understand why Battat decided to make the entire line Target-exclusive. At this point, Target has screwed up two dinosaur lines I care about:
Terra by Battat
Jurassic World Legacy Collection

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on April 21, 2020, 03:57:07 AM
Lovely repaints, really shows what potential this line could've had.
Such a damn shame a lot of these were unreleased. I would've gladly sacrificed the Stegosaurus and Ceratosaurus for things like the Pachycephalosaurus, Triceratops and Ouranosaurus. (along with all the new sculpts as well)

I still don't understand why Battat decided to make the entire line Target-exclusive. At this point, Target has screwed up two dinosaur lines I care about:
Terra by Battat
Jurassic World Legacy Collection
Yeah, the Target decision was a mixed bag, as apparently is Battat itself. Target's investment and subsequent gross mismanagement of its stores in Canada was a billion dollar fiasco. On the other side of the equation, Battat has both pleased and disappointed its customers. Yet both continue on - they must be doing more that is right than wrong. Better to have gotten what we presently have than nothing at all, don't you think. Sometimes the thought occurs to me that the element of disappointment gives a certain depth and emotive value to the  whole Battat experience. Kind of "skin in the game." Then, certainly there's the sadness of Dan's untimely passing. Definitely makes the figures more than mere plastic collectibles, I think.

ceratopsian

Thank you so much for sharing these repaints with us, S @SidB.  It has been a huge pleasure seeing them.

For me, my absolute favourite is the Maiasaura.  I love the look so much that although I don't expect ever to have a spare Battat lying around, I would consider having an artist use the scheme on a similar animal more readily available.  Something to think about post-lockdown!  Then the Ouranosaurus and Triceratops tie for second place - both are amazing but a bit like comparing apples and oranges, so I decided not to split them!

Again, thank you.  It was an inspired idea you came up with.  And a lovely tribute to Dan.

austrosaurus

Wait, the Terra line was Target exclusive in America??? They were in a few stores here in Australia, but never Target.

Bokisaurus

Wonderful, what an impressive group!
Thanks for giving us all a chance to see these visions come to life!
Dan will be proud.😃

I just have to say this about Battat and Target- as frustrating and heartbreaking it is that the line didn't continue, we really really should be more appreciative that it even happened in the first place.
The line got suspended not because the company didn't want to, the support and demand unfortunately  simply wasn't there to continue the investment.

Somewhere in this long thread Dan told us how this revival happened, it's really an amazing story.
Cheers!😃

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: SidB on April 16, 2020, 02:06:15 AM

I say seven, because I simply don't have the $500 Canadian to afford, after currency exchange and shipping, to acquire the eighth, the Diplodocus. Of course, I'd need two, one for conversion, and that simply won't happen.

The Diplodocus (and I suppose the Acrocanthosaurus as well) seemed like the "same-iest" of the repaints anyway, so even if you did get your hands on one by some act of God, I wouldn't feel pressured to repaint it.

Quote from: SidB on April 19, 2020, 08:32:15 PM
The original Battat Ouranosaurus remains unequaled IMO by any other company's one, not that there are a lot of them around, of course. I especially like its paint scheme (see the DTB review). So, this re-paint of Dan's below, had a high bar to leap over. What do you think, is it superior?

If it's not too blasphemous to say, the original Ouranosaurus was always my least favorite paint scheme, despite being one of my most coveted sculpts. The polka dot pattern always seemed kinda silly to me, so I think LaRusso's new pattern, as demonstrated by your repaint, would've been far superior.

SidB

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on April 22, 2020, 03:30:53 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 16, 2020, 02:06:15 AM

I say seven, because I simply don't have the $500 Canadian to afford, after currency exchange and shipping, to acquire the eighth, the Diplodocus. Of course, I'd need two, one for conversion, and that simply won't happen.

The Diplodocus (and I suppose the Acrocanthosaurus as well) seemed like the "same-iest" of the repaints anyway, so even if you did get your hands on one by some act of God, I wouldn't feel pressured to repaint it.

Quote from: SidB on April 19, 2020, 08:32:15 PM
The original Battat Ouranosaurus remains unequaled IMO by any other company's one, not that there are a lot of them around, of course. I especially like its paint scheme (see the DTB review). So, this re-paint of Dan's below, had a high bar to leap over. What do you think, is it superior?

If it's not too blasphemous to say, the original Ouranosaurus was always my least favorite paint scheme, despite being one of my most coveted sculpts. The polka dot pattern always seemed kinda silly to me, so I think LaRusso's new pattern, as demonstrated by your repaint, would've been far superior.
True, the Diplodocus, Acrocanthosaurus as well as the Euplocephalus too, don't represent radical departures from the original, more incremental  change actually. As such, they'd still be of interest to me, as  a"true believer" in Dan's work, as repaints. But I agree, they would be of less value to those whose interest is more casual.

I still like the colors on the original Ouranosaurus ( also the new one too), but as you know, each to his own. There is the question of realism and that's a convoluted one. I'll say this about the new scheme though. It kind of reminds me of the dazzle pattern on World War One warships - looks weird until you realize that zebras have something similar to confuse the hunter's eyes. The new paint job would work in this fashion, I guess.

Halichoeres

S @SidB Thanks for sharing the fruits of this endeavor. They're a wistful glimpse at what might have been. The Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus in particular turned out great.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2020, 04:45:54 PM
S @SidB Thanks for sharing the fruits of this endeavor. They're a wistful glimpse at what might have been. The Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus in particular turned out great.
So glad that you enjoyed them and to have had the opportunity to share this with the members. A real privilege for me.

CityRaptor

Any UK members please check the Battat Acrocanthosaurus on Amazon. Got a rather negative review for a stupid reason there.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: