News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Just to let everyone know, the Battat sets on Amazon are now down to under $7 a piece. If you don't own these figures, now's your chance.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Loon on April 28, 2020, 12:00:36 AM
Just to let everyone know, the Battat sets on Amazon are now down to under $7 a piece. If you don't own these figures, now's your chance.

Thanks for the heads up! I still didn't have the repainted Ceratosaurus or Amargasaurus and my Dacentrurus somehow ended up with a broken tail spike, so I just ordered that set.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Kapitaenosavrvs

Thanks. But sadly, Amazon US does not ship outside of the USA anymore. I tried a couple of times, a few weeks/Months ago and also the last Days. I just want the Cryolophosaurus from the new sets.

"This item does not ship to Germany. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally. Learn more
Due to increased demand, we temporarily have reduced product selection available for delivery to your region. We are working to improve selection availability as soon as possible."

It is dirt cheap. :(

...And the Ouranosaurus of course, but yeah.

Loon

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 30, 2020, 07:04:18 PM

Thanks. But sadly, Amazon US does not ship outside of the USA anymore. I tried a couple of times, a few weeks/Months ago and also the last Days. I just want the Cryolophosaurus from the new sets.

"This item does not ship to Germany. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally. Learn more
Due to increased demand, we temporarily have reduced product selection available for delivery to your region. We are working to improve selection availability as soon as possible."

Well, if you need help getting a set, I can send you one.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Loon on April 30, 2020, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 30, 2020, 07:04:18 PM

Well, if you need help getting a set, I can send you one.

Oh Boy, I'll PM you.

FlawedCoil82

So look, I don't think this is a reason to get too excited, but for people in certain Midwest states (Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, etc.) not only has Meijer stores apparently resumed carrying Terra dinosaurs (after previously putting them all on Clearance) but now they have EXPANDED their selection to include the larger size dinosaurs! I assume it is probably just "old stock", but maybe, just maybe, if there was enough demand, they would resume producing the line? I know I was not expecting to see these in a retail store ever again!

SidB

Interesting post, avatar_FlawedCoil82 @FlawedCoil82 , today I was wondering if we had finally seen the last of this line? Maybe the faintest trace of a glimmer of hope here.

Halichoeres

Quick, buy them all! Then maybe they'll release the Europasaurus and Gigantoraptor.

(I know, wishful thinking)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Indigo is now selling this item:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/toys/terra-t-rex-transport-truck/062243412873-item.html?ikwid=battat+terra&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=3#algoliaQueryId=800d966767230f9fc815c24026e6a367

Honestly? If they started selling more vehicles packaged with Europasaurus, Gigantoraptor, and the rest of the unreleased sculpts, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy them. I'd simply give the vehicles to my son or donate them to his daycare provider.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2020, 07:50:10 PM
Indigo is now selling this item:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/toys/terra-t-rex-transport-truck/062243412873-item.html?ikwid=battat+terra&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=3#algoliaQueryId=800d966767230f9fc815c24026e6a367

Honestly? If they started selling more vehicles packaged with Europasaurus, Gigantoraptor, and the rest of the unreleased sculpts, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy them. I'd simply give the vehicles to my son or donate them to his daycare provider.

Same!

Skorpio V.

Do we think a petition might persuade Battat? Just a thought...
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

suspsy

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on March 15, 2021, 01:14:48 AM
Do we think a petition might persuade Battat? Just a thought...
If you peruse the Battat thread and get a sense of the frustration of the members who, historically, have tried to contact Battat in any meaningful way, you will see what avatar_suspsy @suspsy means.

suspsy

To be fair, if you could miraculously present Battat with a petition that had a minimum number of say, 150,000 authentic signatures, then that just might be enough to persuade them to at least seriously consider releasing the rest of Dan LoRusso's sculpts.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2021, 02:38:32 AM
To be fair, if you could miraculously present Battat with a petition that had a minimum number of say, 150,000 authentic signatures, then that just might be enough to persuade them to at least seriously consider releasing the rest of Dan LoRusso's sculpts.

The problem is that this type of thing is no guarantee of sales. Lots of people would sign because "well, it would be nice if they exist, I might buy them someday (probably on the secondary market where Battat makes zero dollars from the sale)." Short of Battat initiating a crowdfunding campaign, voting is not going to do anything.

In my anecdotal experience at stores and reading comments online, the Terra dinosaurs sold very poorly. The same case assortments sat on shelf at all my local Targets for literally years. The vehicle/playset stuff might sell better. Hopefully, it sells well enough that Battat realizes it needs to add more dinosaurs into the line and produce the unreleased sculpts. BUT, as far as I know, the new sculpts have not been tooled yet. I think we would see repaints of the remaining existing molds before we see Europasaurus etc. Tooling is ridiculously expensive, and unless the old molds have been damaged, they should be able to do a couple production runs of those without much effort if they think it's worth the money. Including them in a playset would also be a good opportunity to get out the smaller figures like Gallimimus and Pachycephalosaurus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 15, 2021, 11:20:35 AM

The problem is that this type of thing is no guarantee of sales. Lots of people would sign because "well, it would be nice if they exist, I might buy them someday (probably on the secondary market where Battat makes zero dollars from the sale)." Short of Battat initiating a crowdfunding campaign, voting is not going to do anything.

In my anecdotal experience at stores and reading comments online, the Terra dinosaurs sold very poorly. The same case assortments sat on shelf at all my local Targets for literally years. The vehicle/playset stuff might sell better. Hopefully, it sells well enough that Battat realizes it needs to add more dinosaurs into the line and produce the unreleased sculpts. BUT, as far as I know, the new sculpts have not been tooled yet. I think we would see repaints of the remaining existing molds before we see Europasaurus etc. Tooling is ridiculously expensive, and unless the old molds have been damaged, they should be able to do a couple production runs of those without much effort if they think it's worth the money. Including them in a playset would also be a good opportunity to get out the smaller figures like Gallimimus and Pachycephalosaurus.

Yeah, that's why I said a petition with a minimum number of 150,000 signatures might only persuade Battat to consider further releases as opposed to immediately ordering production. Personally, I don't believe those unreleased sculpts will ever show up on shelves.

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2021, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 15, 2021, 11:20:35 AM

Yeah, that's why I said a petition with a minimum number of 150,000 signatures might only persuade Battat to consider further releases as opposed to immediately ordering production. Personally, I don't believe those unreleased sculpts will ever show up on shelves.

Shoot, I would be thrilled with just Triceratops and Styracosaurus. That's the whole reason why I started collecting these, was to encourage their (what I hoped was "inevitable") releases. I can't believe how Battat has such little interest in releasing the rest. So far they have only released a couple of the "staple" dinosaurs that most kids want (Tyrannosaurus and a questionable Stegosaurus). But the line is missing several other classic dinosaurs that EVERY mainstream toyline needs to release at least one version of. I mean how many kids would find Pachyrhinosaurus more appealing than Triceratops or even Styracosaurus?! Not many, I wager. I think that's why that "Walking With Dinosaurs" film bombed. These modern filmmakers just keep trying so hard to make Pachyrhinosaurus or Jurassic World's Sinoceratops the new Triceratops (it truly makes no sense to me). But regardless, I really wish Battat would either pretend to give a crap about this line or else just sell the molds to another company who will.

On a side note, my local Meijer has gotten in a few new molds they didn't have previously (Parasaurolophus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Euoplocephalus and Stegosaurus). But still nothing that we haven't seen before.

SidB

I was tempted to put this brief comment into the older Battat thread, whose last entry was in 2015, but this current one is maybe appropriate, since its focus is on the Battat Terra line. I noticed that a venerable 1994 version one T-rex just sold on Ebay for all of $66 USD, with 21 bids. That's the lowest, by far , that I've seen one of these go for, and it seemed to be in fine condition.
My point is this: what with the plethora of excellent new sculpts to hit the market over the last several years, it seems to me that the Battat line, so far above all the other mass production lines for a long stretch of its history, has really returned to earth. Sellers appear to be selling Battats at very reasonable (i.e., low prices , comparatively speaking) these days. Gone are the feeding frenzy bidding wars. So, it certainly doesn't appear to be a market that would offer much incentive for Battat to participate in with any new introductions or even the remaining repaints of the older figures. I think that the sun has finally set on a grand epoch.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: SidB on April 19, 2021, 04:32:30 AM
I was tempted to put this brief comment into the older Battat thread, whose last entry was in 2015, but this current one is maybe appropriate, since its focus is on the Battat Terra line. I noticed that a venerable 1994 version one T-rex just sold on Ebay for all of $66 USD, with 21 bids. That's the lowest, by far , that I've seen one of these go for, and it seemed to be in fine condition.
My point is this: what with the plethora of excellent new sculpts to hit the market over the last several years, it seems to me that the Battat line, so far above all the other mass production lines for a long stretch of its history, has really returned to earth. Sellers appear to be selling Battats at very reasonable (i.e., low prices , comparatively speaking) these days. Gone are the feeding frenzy bidding wars. So, it certainly doesn't appear to be a market that would offer much incentive for Battat to participate in with any new introductions or even the remaining repaints of the older figures. I think that the sun has finally set on a grand epoch.

As someone, that was not familiar with the Battat Figures at all in my younger years, because i wasn't collecting prehistoric Figures in this time (Childhood is something different, but i only knew Schleich as a german. There was and is just Schleich in offlinegermany. We all know that by now :-D ), your words fit my thoughts about these Figures. They are great and they have been outstanding in their time. And some of them even work until this very day. Kind of. But as someone that came back to prehistoric Animals as an Adult, it is hard to feel or refeel Nostalgia for these, if i never had them as a Collector in that time or as a Child. I like the Ouranosaurus and a few of other Battat Dinosaurs, but just look what happens to modern Figures in the Internet... To me, with a 2021 Eye, they just look... Ok. And this does not mean, that the sculptwork and research that was done for these back in the day isn't something special. The Quality and Detail and accuracy is on a very high level in modern Figures, but the people are still fighting and fighting.  Also beeing an accurate Figure is not enough to be loved from collectors. If you do not have the Nostalgia, just imagine how the Dilpodocus would get destroyed in Commentsections everywhere, because of the Pose.

It made total sense for the Company to re release the Kids Favorites. Because thats what they are in the End. Toy Dinoaurs for Kids. Toy Dinosaurs from another Time. The Ouranosaurus is the one i really like, but then its just because its one of the better in a small pot of available Ouranosaurfigures, i guess.

This is not ment to hurt the feelings of fans of these figures. I hope i made that clear enough in my Text. But i think so.

Collecta, PNSO, Safari e.g. set a new standard for affordable but outstanding Dinosaurtoys/figures. And this Standard seems to get higher with every year.

SidB

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs , I have to agree with these comments, though I do have strong feelings of nostalgia for the Battats, since they were the gold standard and hard to come by , when I started  seriously collecting dinosaur figure s as an adult. But your comments are right - CollectA, Safari and PNSO have surpassed them as mass collectables. Not to forget Eofauna and Vitae (arguably) also. Nestled into your post is an interesting thought - the iconic "holy grail" of collectables, the Battat Diplodocus, would likely come under heavy criticism and even derision from some for its POSE, if it was newly issued today. Wow, how times are changing and have changed!

This awareness may be shared by the Battat company, and along with possibly sluggish sales of the Battat Terra line and the re-paints, may account for the apparently early termination of the Terras, other than the cheap electronic spins.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: