News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I guess like you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I never got to experience these when I was younger (ditto for the Carnegie Collection figures). I mean I guess I'm so surprised I never encountered any of these (unless I just wasn't allowed to buy any if they had them, but my memory is too foggy), when I went to the Boston Museum of Science on field trips in the 90's when I was a child since these had some connection to it. Either way I wouldn't have any now anyways on account of all my (original) childhood things being long gone from the numerous storage accounts my parents owned that got auctioned off many years ago.

While a sense of nostalgia is what drove me to get back into collecting dinosaur toys (and other prehistoric animals) after the release of Jurassic World, it wasn't at all why I ended up with as many as I have now. Despite seeing these adorning the Target shelves while on the hunt for the newest Jurassic line (despite how subpar it was), I had no proper appreciation for them yet, being ignorant on what they were, and still are. It wasn't until I discovered the blog, and then forum here, and read about people's fondness for these. It made me curious, and some did at least catch my eye even if I passed them up more then once (such as that Parasaurolophus).

The Battat Tyrannosaurus and Parasaurolophus were my first real foray into collecting dinosaur figures that weren't just action figures a few years back (despite being aware of Papo's figures for many years), and now I have obtained most of those in the Terra line. Perhaps some day I will hunt for things like their original Ouranosaurus and Maiasaura too, still the very best of their kind after all these years, unless they finally have a worthy successor (Safari, CollectA, PNSO, etc. Who dares be the first?). I imagine these will adorn my shelves for quite some time, though I'll be frank, I did almost consider storing away some of these, as I did with the many Schleich and Carnegie figures I obtained a few years back in those mixed lots that was alongside the WWD Allosaurus I wanted. However, for now they are safe, and honestly some of them still have absolutely no other competitors for shelf space in my collection for the time being too, such as the Amargasaurus (although I would like to get the Carnegie and PNSO ones) and Cryolophosaurus. There's also the appeal I have for many of these quite frankly, not just for some aesthetic beauty, but that they are also a product of the 90s as I am (as is the case for the WWD figures that I missed out on growing up, but did at least have nostalgia and familiarity for the series they were from). If the time does come for these to ultimately take their leave, I will do my best to make sure at least the two that started it all for me can remain in some way (right alongside the WWD Allosaurus as well).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Battats sit right on the edge of Nostalgia for me. I didn't know about the line itself, but when I was a kid, I had seen photos of some of the models (I recall the T. rex and Carnotaurus) in a Dinosaur magazine issue we had in the house (no idea what the magazine was). I wasn't paying attention to anything except the pictures at the time. I also remember coming across a Ceratosaurus in a store somewhere - and deciding to pass on it. I'm kicking myself for that now.
I think the DTB was the first time I became aware of what Battat was and what they represented in collecting. When the Terra line was announced, I was excited to see these figures return - I dare say the line had become more mythic than nostalgic to me. It still saddens me that we lost Dan LoRusso and that the Battat company has done little with the line since; but I'm grateful for the figures we got, and that they're still selling in at least some retail stores.

SidB

In the very first months  when I first started collecting, and before I'd discovered the DTB, I came across the Euplocephalus in a Value Village thrift store toy bin. That was about 2009, I'd guess. I knew right away that it was something special, especially in comparison with the quality of the other figures that periodically appeared in the bins, surpassing the Carnegies, Safaris, Schleichs and cheaposaurs of various denominations. Only some of the better Invictas could merit comparison, IMO. A year later, and at another location, I found the Ceratosaurus, Maiasaura and Stegosaurus. That started the whole thing for me.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

You find a Maiasaura in an actual shop after 2009? Wow, US is a different world sometimes
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gwangi

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 01, 2021, 12:54:22 AM
Battats sit right on the edge of Nostalgia for me. I didn't know about the line itself, but when I was a kid, I had seen photos of some of the models (I recall the T. rex and Carnotaurus) in a Dinosaur magazine issue we had in the house (no idea what the magazine was). I wasn't paying attention to anything except the pictures at the time. I also remember coming across a Ceratosaurus in a store somewhere - and deciding to pass on it. I'm kicking myself for that now.
I think the DTB was the first time I became aware of what Battat was and what they represented in collecting. When the Terra line was announced, I was excited to see these figures return - I dare say the line had become more mythic than nostalgic to me. It still saddens me that we lost Dan LoRusso and that the Battat company has done little with the line since; but I'm grateful for the figures we got, and that they're still selling in at least some retail stores.

Yup, that's it right there. Well said.

suspsy

I saw Jim Kirkland mention on Facebook earlier this week that he worked with Dan on the unreleased Gastonia. I really, really wish those remaining five new toys would get released. As I noted in the past, Battat could even package them with tacky vehicles or playsets and I'd probably get them.

Well, not the Nasutoceratops since I already have two good toys of that species. Definitely the other four, though!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 01, 2021, 12:10:53 PM
You find a Maiasaura in an actual shop after 2009? Wow, US is a different world sometimes
I don't know currently if Target still has a few of these Re-issued battat's, but they were quite common years ago. I always saw the Parasaurolophus, Tyrannosaurus, and Pachyrhinosaurus. I really regret not buying them when I had the chance. I was not a fan of the battat line to begin with and still not, however they would have been nice to have, possibly if I got one I may have grown a liking to them.

Edit: I don't recall ever seeing Maiasaurua, however it really depends on the Target where to find certain figures. Some never stocked them as well as ones only having the Tyrannosaurus in particular, being the most popular dinosaur sells easily compared to others.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I'd still buy a few of the unreleased figures, although I might pass if they got the Utahraptor treatment with the glowing eyes and ugly joints.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SenSx

So I made my order on Amazon through this page:

https://www.amazon.com/Terra-Battat-Dinosaurs-Dinosaur-Ceratosaurus/dp/B07PFYSV5L

I just wanted the Cryolophosaurus, don't care about the others...
so I bought the 5 set, but I was sent the wrong box, the one with 4 dinos with the Parasaurolophus...did that happen to anyone else ?
Do you know if they still have the set with the Cryo in stock? or are orders prepared by idiots who just send random boxes ?

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 01, 2021, 12:10:53 PM
In Toronto, Canada, actually, but maybe that made the discovery all the more remarkable. I've never seen one since, though I've found a Triceratops, a Styracosaurus, a couple of version three T-Rexes, among others, usually at the pace of one or two a year. The newer Battat Terras are extremely scarce in the thrift store market, with me finding only one each of the Dacentrurus, the Cryolophosaurus and the Nanschiungosaurus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SenSx on May 03, 2021, 11:24:54 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Terra-Battat-Dinosaurs-Dinosaur-Ceratosaurus/dp/B07PFYSV5L

so I bought the 5 set, but I was sent the wrong box, the one with 4 dinos with the Parasaurolophus...did that happen to anyone else ?
Do you know if they still have the set with the Cryo in stock? or are orders prepared by idiots who just send random boxes ?

Same thing happened to me. I think both boxes must have the same item number so warehouse workers can't tell them apart in terms of the system. I returned my order twice and then gave up. I think the other box must simply be out of stock.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SenSx

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 03, 2021, 05:16:08 PM
Quote from: SenSx on May 03, 2021, 11:24:54 AM

Same thing happened to me. I think both boxes must have the same item number so warehouse workers can't tell them apart in terms of the system. I returned my order twice and then gave up. I think the other box must simply be out of stock.

Ok thanks :/
I might try my chance as well...but they should just remove this page from the site...
Any idea where to get the Battat Cryolophosaurus elsewhere ?

Leyster

Quote from: SenSx on May 03, 2021, 05:49:20 PM

I might try my chance as well...but they should just remove this page from the site...
avatar_Loon @Loon just put one for sale
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SenSx

Quote from: Leyster on May 03, 2021, 05:56:01 PM
Quote from: SenSx on May 03, 2021, 05:49:20 PM

avatar_Loon @Loon just put one for sale

Ok thanks, but I'm not living in the US.

EmperorDinobot

I would have loved to see the animals that were not produced. Maybe someday.

FlawedCoil82

Well Meijer has once again put their Terra dinosaurs on Clearance (though not the large, cheap plastic ones that light up).

However, now Kohl's is carrying them!  ???  But at this point I am no longer supporting this line unless Battat even pretends to start acting like they care (which I don't see happening). I just so badly wish a far more competent/interested company could buy the molds from Battat and release them since Battat utterly refuses.

Flaffy

I wonder if the reason why Battat dinosaurs were "unsuccessful" was because they as a company never bothered reaching the international market.

SidB

sauroid

seeing those sad photos make us miss Dan Lorusso even more, his work and dedication. r.i.p.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_FlawedCoil82 @FlawedCoil82 you could see why I was so shocked when I was in a Kohls waiting for the boredom to end, when I then saw the battat cryolophosaurus.  It took me a bit to process it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: