You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

Went to one of my local Targets to see if they had them and they had the Rex, the Acro, and some of the older ones from last year. I must say, in person, the Rex is very impressive. The paint application is not at all thick like the Cryo's and the sculpt is very nice. They had two of each of the Rex and Acro on the shelf @$9.99. My younger brother, who is on the forum (as Tapejara1122) purchased a Rex and on the way home, I started regretting not getting the second Rex. :( 
I'll be going back and getting a Rex for sure. Hope the other Targets around here or work have them available.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Dobber

Great news, I decided to call my Target as a few of you all did and they were very helpful.  They pulled them from the back and will hold them for me, so I can pick them up tomorrow morning. Fantastic!  :D

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Gwangi on August 08, 2015, 12:59:51 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on August 08, 2015, 12:38:25 AM
Bah, despite having the WS Acro and preordering REBOR's Hercules, I kinda want this guy too!  I like the color scheme a lot even if I think the skull is a bit elongated.  But urgh, no Targets anywhere nearby and Battat's website said no stores within 100 miles of me are going to be carrying anything, so BLAH!

I'm sure it's only a matter of time until these guys can be found nationwide. By this time next year we'll be tired of seeing them in our local Targets and be excited about whatever they plan to release next. It's totally worth getting and I actually just posted my review for it on the blog, check it out!

As a fan of Acrocanthosaurus have you looked into the Kaiyodo Dinotales model? I think you would like it.
Be nice, but I don't have a Target anywhere near me lol.

And yes, I own that little guy!  For a small figure, it's pretty good!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dobber

Does anyone know if the softer plastic that the Rex and Acro are made of will take a repaint well or will it take a particular type of paint. I mainly use Acrylics, but if the plastic is not conducive to it I won't bother getting an extra one.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Takama

The New website now has a Email.

I asked them about rather or not ALL of the MOS models will be a part of the Terra Series, and im awaiting there response.    Personally, i think it would work, and the Dippy can be displayed in a box Sideways on a shelf.

Sim

I can't think of a reason why all of the re-issues wouldn't be able to be part of the Terra line.

Whatever they reply to you could always change.  When I called Battat earlier this year and asked them if they would release any new dinosaurs this year, they told me 2 were going to be released.  So far, at least 5 have been released (Cerato, Carno, Amarga, Tyranno, Acro)!  So that situation changed!

Judging by how things are going, I'm going to guess all the re-issues will become part of the Terra line.

I might be mistaken, but from what I've seen in photos of Target's Battat shelves it looks like they would be able to fit the Diplodocus standing upright/vertically.  It seems to me that it would work better for Target that way as they can just line them up one behind the other.  If they put them on their side that would take up A LOT of shelf space.  They would either be forced to have more of them to fill up the shelf, or have to put the Diplodocus behind smaller figures to prevent blocking access to the smaller figures.  I also think these figures would be best off being displayed on a shelf in the position they're designed to stand in so the least amount of pressure is put on them.

Takama

If they do release them all for the Terra line, i hope they will let Dan make more Larger Sauropods like Brontosaurus (Not Apatosaurus, we have enough of those, though i wont mind if they did BOTH). but I imagine the Dippy could be alone for a while.

I wonder if all Of the Dinosaurs will be sold at target at the same time as they come along.  The end-cap seems pretty limited in terms of space. I originally thought that the First four from last year were being retired to make room for new ones, but the Website seems to show otherwise

Dinomike

Quote from: Jetoar on August 08, 2015, 02:05:57 AM
It is a pitty that this products dont arrive to Europe  :-\.

Tell me about it! I emailedDan at Dan's Dinosaurs and he told me he will have these in stock. That's our only chance!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Concavenator

Meso-Cenozoic

Takama -- The end-cap at my Target has lots of space. They only seem to get a couple of each at the most of any new ones and the older ones don't seem to be replaced much. There's even tons of room in the bins below where they store the extant animals. They're all obviously selling well enough, because it's getting more and more empty every time I go back. My Target just seems to be slow at reordering them. I don't think it's a restocking issue because every time they check their scanner to see if there's anymore anywhere in the store, front or back, no others ever show up. So I don't get why they aren't ordering more than just a couple at a time.

BTW, Takama, can you post a link to the website you're referring to? When I looked up the Battat website, I only find toys on there for very young children. Hmm.

As far as room for the Dippy, they could easily stand them up on the top shelf. But with kids always looking through these, it would be a long fall down to the floor! :P That's the problem Walmart is having with their Schleich figures. They put all the larger figures on the top shelf of their display. And inevitably every time I'm there, I see a couple of them on the floor with something chipped or broken off. >:(

Tapejara1122

I noticed when I went that they had three different types of figures, the first being the small, which you cant really see in the picture but was $5.99, the second was the medium which were $7.99, (these may be the carno, amarga, and the cerato) and large which were $9.99. So maybe the Targets are waiting for the stock to lower a bit before putting out the 3 mediums.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Takama

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 08, 2015, 06:23:44 AM

BTW, Takama, can you post a link to the website you're referring to? When I looked up the Battat website, I only find toys on there for very young children. Hmm.

As far as room for the Dippy, they could easily stand them up on the top shelf. But with kids always looking through these, it would be a long fall down to the floor! :P That's the problem Walmart is having with their Schleich figures. They put all the larger figures on the top shelf of their display. And inevitably every time I'm there, I see a couple of them on the floor with something chipped or broken off. >:(

Theres a Separate Website for The Terra Series

http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs

pylraster

The soft plastic is bit of a letdown, but I really love the sculpt. Would like to recast that Acro if I get one, for personal display though.

Patrx

Well, I picked up my Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus yesterday! The Acro is nice - I didn't have that genus in my collection, and it's a sufficient representation. The rex, on the other hand, is fantastic! I'd never seen it in person and was surprised by how big it is. The details are sharp and the paint looks great. It's basically the perfect example of a 90s-style Tyrannosaurus. So far, mine can stand on its own, without leaning on the tail. But, I doubt that will last long, and it seems far more apt to pitch forward than back, making the tail support kinda pointless.

Tapejara1122

Quote from: Patrx on August 08, 2015, 06:20:35 PM
Well, I picked up my Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus yesterday! The Acro is nice - I didn't have that genus in my collection, and it's a sufficient representation. The rex, on the other hand, is fantastic! I'd never seen it in person and was surprised by how big it is. The details are sharp and the paint looks great. It's basically the perfect example of a 90s-style Tyrannosaurus. So far, mine can stand on its own, without leaning on the tail. But, I doubt that will last long, and it seems far more apt to pitch forward than back, making the tail support kinda pointless.

At first, I didnt understand why people liked the battat t-rex instead of the papo one, but I saw it in person and said "Wow, this is why people like it." I never expected it to be that good! So I just had to pick it up. The standing issue is a shame though...

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Sim

Quote from: Takama on August 08, 2015, 05:19:27 AM
If they do release them all for the Terra line, i hope they will let Dan make more Larger Sauropods like Brontosaurus (Not Apatosaurus, we have enough of those, though i wont mind if they did BOTH). but I imagine the Dippy could be alone for a while.

Is it known which Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus figures are one or the other though?  It might be some Apato figures are Bronto and vice versa.

pylraster

That kink in the tail ... Is that from the packaging's ties?

pylraster

Will Battat consider using a stiffer plastic though? I hope that the feedback here reaches them so they can do something about the balance issues of the models. Such a shame because these are still some of the best dino figures ever made.

Patrx

Quote from: pylraster on August 08, 2015, 07:57:24 PM
That kink in the tail ... Is that from the packaging's ties?

I'm afraid so, yes. It is a little bit distracting.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: