You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Victoria's Cantina

Sounds like my lucky streak with dinosaur collectibles continues. :)

I think perhaps the feet got warped with the ridiculous twist ties they put on it. The ankles and the tail have indents on them from the ties.

joossa

Quote from: Victoria B on September 17, 2015, 02:42:50 AM
I think perhaps the feet got warped with the ridiculous twist ties they put on it. The ankles and the tail have indents on them from the ties.
Same with mine. The plastic is very cheap. Very unfortunate.
Mine stands, but the legs are going off to the side.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Daspletodave

Quote from: Victoria B on September 17, 2015, 02:42:50 AM
Sounds like my lucky streak with dinosaur collectibles continues. :)

Try the hot water/cold water fix.
Here is how I do it - fill your sink with cold water. Now boil a pot of water (pot has to be large enough for the figure you are trying to fix). When the water starts to boil take the pot off the stove and put it beside the sink. Now dip the Carnotaurus into the pot- just the legs (or other part you are trying to fix). Watch carefully - you will actually see the legs soften. Take the figure out of the pot and put it in the sink- with your hands reposition the legs the way you want and hold the figure standing upright on the flattest part of the sink bottom. Hold it that way for about a minute - then remove your hands. If the figure stays standing it is fixed.
I leave the figure standing in the sink that way for about an hour, then take it out and stand him on the counter.
If it doesn't work the first time try again.
Study the figure first to visualize how you need to reshape the legs or tail to get it to stand.
Good luck!

EmperorDinobot

I must regretfully and bitterly inform you all that Artist Dan LoRusso has passed away.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 17, 2015, 11:43:35 PM
I must regretfully and bitterly inform you all that Artist Dan LoRusso has passed away.

What?!? When?!? How did you find this out?

suspsy

So Gregory Wenzel sculpted all of the original Battats, but Dan did the colour schemes for the reissues, correct?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2015, 01:09:40 AM
So Gregory Wenzel sculpted all of the original Battats, but Dan did the colour schemes for the reissues, correct?
No, I'm pretty sure Dan LoRusso sculpted the Diplodocus, Maiasaura, Ceratosaurus, Stegosaurus, Amargasaurus, Dilophosaurus and possibly some others. You can kind of tell from the sculpting style.

By the way, according to issue #111 of Prehistoric Times, Gregory Wenzel does not create paleoart any more.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I remember Dan specifically mentioning which ones were his but I forget which models they were and which thread he mentioned them in. Actually, I think he listed which ones were Wenzel's, but same thing, really.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2015, 01:09:40 AM
Incorrect, here is a link to Dinosaur Studio, Dan's dinosaur site online. You will notice under the credits, item 16. States "BATTAT/BOSTON MUSEUM OF SCIENCE
Line of 1:40th scale dinosaur replicas: Diplodocus carnegii, Stegosaurus ungulatus,Dilophosaurus wetherilli, Edmontonia rugosidens, Amargasaurus cazaui, Ceratosaurus nasicornis, Maiasaura peeblesorum, Euoplocephalus tutus, Carnotaurus sastrei"
The remaining un-named figures were done by Greg Wenzel.
The way Dan said it once before was they just took turns taking a figure from their list, each took a group and did their own figures. Since Greg is no longer into paleo work Dan by default repainted the set for the reissue however.

http://www.dinosaurstudio.com/artistsdl.html#lorussoc
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Thanks for the clarification, TQ and amargasaurus, I appreciate it!

amargasaurus cazaui

Glad I could offer something of use there Suspy, it is a good site and gives you some idea of the things he had done and was working at.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

therizinosaurus

Absolutely sick to my stomach to hear of the passing of Mr. LoRusso. I exchanged some extremely kind messages with him on this forum, he could not have been any nicer with me.

RIP Dan LoRusso

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 17, 2015, 11:43:35 PM

Oh my goodness! I was just thinking of him and how he was doing. I had just exchanged some PMs on Facebook with him not that long ago. But then hadn't heard from him for a little while. Wow! I am truly saddened to hear about this.

I'll have to let the lady know who works in the toy section at my Target. I always see her each time I'm there, and she always seems to be right around the Battat-Terra section. A couple times ago, she had asked me about these dino figures and was surprised they were so inexpensive for their quality and their beautiful little display boxes. So I told her the story of Battats and Dan, and how we all knew and chatted with him on here. I pointed out his signature on one of the boxes, and she was so impressed! She asked if he would be putting out a large line of these. I told her that was the plan, but his health had recently gotten worse. She was truly sorry to hear this and told me to tell him she'll put him in her prayers. I never got to tell him. I think he would of thought it to be pretty cool that he had fan of his work in one of the Target employees who knew nothing about these or dinosaurs, but thought his artwork was really beautiful.

suspsy

What did Dan say was going to be in the next wave of reissues?

Meso-Cenozoic

About the new Terra's, he didn't mention anything to me that had already been talked about on here. We chatted mostly about the reissues and their new paint apps. I also asked him if he was still going to be able to update the Stego. He said he wanted to put back the 4-spiked thagomizer and make the row of plates on his back bigger. But last I spoke with him, he still didn't have the OK yet on that. We talked about his new color choices and patterns and how I liked them. Mostly stuff like that.... mostly about the art of it. When I mentioned above to that Target employee that there was going to be a much bigger line to this series, I was mostly thinking about all the rest of the reissues that were definitely still coming down the pike, and of course the few other new ones we already knew about on here. She didn't know anything about the original Battats, so I had told her to watch out for many more releases from that series.

I know it's definitely not the most important thing to be concerned about right now, but I really do hope everything he worked so hard on to finish gets released at some point. I think he knew his time was limited here. So, he pushed himself through a lot of pain-filled days to complete as much as he could. These beautiful little sculptures will definitely be part of his legacy in the paleoart field. They deserve to be out there in the hands of all the young and old collectors to be appreciated. But hopefully all in good time. Right now my thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Fembrogon

I know a lot of people who are struggling with major health problems right now, so learning that Mr. LoRusso has lost his battle seems particularly depressing.  :'(
If I wasn't committed to buying all of the Terra dinosaurs before, I certainly am now.

JurassicGeek09

To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

JurassicGeek09

I'm curious if anyone's considered contacting Battat and asking why some of the figures are so hopeless when it comes to standing up.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Daspletodave

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: