News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

In my case,things are a little better as far as what brands are available in stores around me (Baltimore,D.C. area).Now it's not so exclusively Schleich anymore.Safari Ltd. has popped up again in Michaels' and A.C. Moore craft stores and of course Battat in near Target stores. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on December 30, 2014, 09:47:56 PM
The internet searches I've done keep showing that no Pachyrhinosaurus skin has been found.  Did you mean you used Pachyrhinosaurus skin for when you sculpted the WS Pachyrhinosaurus, or did I misunderstand? 

You are correct Sim no Pachyrhinosaurus skin impressions have been found to my knowledge either. I miss spoke or miss typed I got my horned dinos mixed up, maybe I have done too many. Three patches of Nasutoceratops skin impressions where found from the area of the humerus and scapula. They were similar in shape to the impressions of the smaller scales from Chasmosaurus so I based the overall skin on a combination of the two. The rest of the information concerning the method for scaling of the scales was correct as far as the Nasutoceratops was concerned. For Pachyrhinosaurus I used Chasmosaurus skin for reference, sorry for the confusion.  I also used the paper The Facial Integument of Centrosaurine Ceratopsids: Morphological and Histological Correlates of Novel Skin Structures for facial ornamentation. The rest of my Pachy reference came from several papers by Currie, Langston Jr, Tanke, Fiorillo & Tykoski. If you are interested in Pachyrhinosaurus the monograph A New Horned Dinosaur from an Upper Cretaceous Bone Bed in Alberta Hardcover – Jan 2008 by P.J. Currie (Author), W. Langston (Author), D.H. Tanke (Author) is very good if you can find a reasonably priced copy, I got mine through Amazon.ca and a secondary seller for $42.07 CDN.

amargasaurus cazaui

Hey , Doug is there a way to give the complete citation for the paper about facial integument including the author etc? It would be most useful for some other work I am pursuing, thanks
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 31, 2014, 01:37:58 PM
Hey , Doug is there a way to give the complete citation for the paper about facial integument including the author etc? It would be most useful for some other work I am pursuing, thanks

Here is an online link to the paper
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/ar.20985/asset/20985_ftp.pdf;jsessionid=2B6198434A5DF2B27A5E7AA661BBFAE2.f04t04?v=1&t=i4cs9sxz&s=5d66a38c21037e6fce1d161e6b5ec031861b6d08

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 31, 2014, 02:14:56 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 31, 2014, 01:37:58 PM

Here is an online link to the paper
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/ar.20985/asset/20985_ftp.pdf;jsessionid=2B6198434A5DF2B27A5E7AA661BBFAE2.f04t04?v=1&t=i4cs9sxz&s=5d66a38c21037e6fce1d161e6b5ec031861b6d08
Apparently they are a bit proprietary about their files, i got this message.
You don't have permission to access /store/10.1002/ar.20985/asset/20985_ftp.pdf on this server.I appreciate the effort though, it sure would be nice to read it
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 31, 2014, 02:48:46 PM
Apparently they are a bit proprietary about their files, i got this message.
You don't have permission to access /store/10.1002/ar.20985/asset/20985_ftp.pdf on this server.I appreciate the effort though, it sure would be nice to read it

Well that sucks here is the full citation. Let me know if you still can't get access.

The Facial Integument of Centrosaurine Ceratopsids: Morphological and Histological Correlates of Novel Skin Structures
TOBIN L. HIERONYMUS,1,2* LAWRENCE M. WITMER,1 DARREN H. TANKE,3 AND PHILIP J. CURRIE4
1Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, Ohionumbers: NSF IBN-0343744, IOB-0517257; Grant sponsors: Jurassic Foundationpi, Ohio University.
DOI 10.1002/ar.20985
Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley. *Correspondence to: Tobin L. Hieronymus, Department of com).
Anatomy and Neurobiology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and Pharmacy, Rootstown, OH 44272. Fax: 330 325-5916. E-mail: [email protected]
VC   2009 WILEY-LISS, INC.
THE ANATOMICAL RECORD 292:1370–1396 (2009)

amargasaurus cazaui

Will feed it into wikipaleo and should have it within a day, now that I have the entire citation, thanks Doug.

amargasaurus cazaui

Got it now, thanks Doug. Will dive into this after i get some rest.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 31, 2014, 12:39:07 PM
You are correct Sim no Pachyrhinosaurus skin impressions have been found to my knowledge either. I miss spoke or miss typed I got my horned dinos mixed up, maybe I have done too many. Three patches of Nasutoceratops skin impressions where found from the area of the humerus and scapula. They were similar in shape to the impressions of the smaller scales from Chasmosaurus so I based the overall skin on a combination of the two. The rest of the information concerning the method for scaling of the scales was correct as far as the Nasutoceratops was concerned. For Pachyrhinosaurus I used Chasmosaurus skin for reference, sorry for the confusion.  I also used the paper The Facial Integument of Centrosaurine Ceratopsids: Morphological and Histological Correlates of Novel Skin Structures for facial ornamentation. The rest of my Pachy reference came from several papers by Currie, Langston Jr, Tanke, Fiorillo & Tykoski. If you are interested in Pachyrhinosaurus the monograph A New Horned Dinosaur from an Upper Cretaceous Bone Bed in Alberta Hardcover – Jan 2008 by P.J. Currie (Author), W. Langston (Author), D.H. Tanke (Author) is very good if you can find a reasonably priced copy, I got mine through Amazon.ca and a secondary seller for $42.07 CDN.
Thanks Doug.  I think I've got it now, you said Pachyrhinosaurus when you meant Nasutoceratops, and Nasutoceratops when you meant Pachyrhinosaurus?  Hehe, it can happen!

The discussion about the Wild Safari Edmontosaurus' retirement earlier in this thread got me wondering about the reason for the retirement.  Maybe it was partly due to its hands being incorrect?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on January 01, 2015, 05:17:07 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on December 31, 2014, 12:39:07 PM
Thanks Doug.  I think I've got it now, you said Pachyrhinosaurus when you meant Nasutoceratops, and Nasutoceratops when you meant Pachyrhinosaurus?  Hehe, it can happen!

The discussion about the Wild Safari Edmontosaurus' retirement earlier in this thread got me wondering about the reason for the retirement.  Maybe it was partly due to its hands being incorrect?

Here's hoping it's because we're going to get a new one..maybe from Carnegie next year? I'd love a good detailed Edmontosaurus/Anatotitan/whatever Trachodon/Anatosaurus is being called nowadays... ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 31, 2014, 03:44:27 PM
Got it now, thanks Doug. Will dive into this after i get some rest.

Great!

Doug Watson

Thanks Doug. 

I didn't do that one so I can honestly say I don't know why it is being retired.

Concavenator

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 01, 2015, 07:42:43 PM
Thanks Doug. 

I didn't do that one so I can honestly say I don't know why it is being retired.
I think because of the discovery of a crest on that dinosaur.And I personally didn't like that model,so I'm not sad with these news.
@Doug Did you sculpt the Guanlong?   ???

Doug Watson

postsaurischian

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 01, 2015, 08:04:35 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 01, 2015, 08:02:19 PM

Nope

Your luck ;D!
I'm still pretty disappointed by that one. Mainly because it means that Safari won't be doing another one for years :(.

Concavenator

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 01, 2015, 08:18:55 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on January 01, 2015, 08:04:35 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 01, 2015, 08:02:19 PM

Nope

Your luck ;D!
I'm still pretty disappointed by that one. Mainly because it means that Safari won't be doing another one for years :(.
I was thinking something similar too.It wasn't my cup of tea  :P And Guanlong is a very interesting species,which is the worst thing about that model.The difference of quality between the Guanlong and the Yutyrannus is brutal.I guess that was the sculptor that made the Megalodon,too .

amargasaurus cazaui

Just opened a new box of figures that came in the mail today. I was able to get both the Sauropelta, and the Nasutoceratops that I believe were done by Doug. I consider these two of the better dinosaur models I have been fortunate to purchase in the last few years. I offer that if this were a few years ago, noone would have blinked at the idea these were part of the Battat line or Carnegie, given the quality of the sculpt. Both are gorgeous models and delighted to have gotten them both, thanks Doug

Daspletodave

Received my Sauropelta, Yutyrannus and Nasutoceratops today. Really impressed by all three, but especially the Sauropelta. It's in a darker color than the pics on page 1 of this thread. It's one of the best armored dinosaur models ever!

EmperorDinobot

Nasutoceratops and Sauropelta are must haves.

Velociraptor, while tripod, is neat.

Carnegie is on its way out. It makes me extremely sad to say this, but one new dinosaur per year means we'll be lucky to get one next year. I haven't gotten any new Carns since the Spinosaurus. It's really a shame.

Concavenator

Safari has done a fantastic job this year.Really fantastic,I like all of their pieces,but the Yutyrannus is just wonderful.I thought Safari wasn't going to  do one.At least not when I saw there wasn't one in either 2013's and 2014's lineup.I was amazed when saw one was coming up.Although it's indeed a pity it wasn't released earlier.Huh,well I'll still be buying it on another time,which I hope and think will be soon!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: