News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

That's certainly good news. Heaven knows I'm sick and tired of seeing just Schleich everywhere.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: suspsy on April 01, 2015, 10:19:43 PM
That's certainly good news. Heaven knows I'm sick and tired of seeing just Schleich everywhere.

Tell me about it! Every shop I go to here in Bonnie Scotland has nothing but!  :'(
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Zelan

My personal observation has been that the selection for Canadian customers has been steadily dwindling. The last time there was a decent range of dino figures to choose from was when the original battats were still available. Most of the time now I have to order from the US if I want anything. There are some Papo and a handful of Schleich and Safari figures in some stores and I have never seen a CollectA anywhere. The Battat Terra line only became available shortly before Target announced they were leaving anyway.

suspsy

I actually found a selection of CollectA at the Indian River Reptile Zoo just outside Peterborough, ON.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

laticauda

Quote from: Zelan on April 01, 2015, 11:15:43 PM
The Battat Terra line only became available shortly before Target announced they were leaving anyway.

Bad timing!  I think I have seen a store in Toronto selling Schleich, but I think that was it.  I feel like there should be at least one shop in Niagara Falls ON. or Niagara on the Lake, that sell some. 

Daspletodave

As a Canadian I've bought nearly all of my dinosaurs online. The only ones I could purchase locally were the Invicta series and the Safari Dinos of China a long long time ago. The only Canadian online shop was Toyosaurus (now extinct) where I was able to get the entire Favorite collection (the original 2004 series) and a few others.
I did get the four Battat Terra dinos from my local Target, that shut its doors for the final time today.
But that's Canada for you - buy it in the USA or shop online, cause you can't find it here (and if you do you'll pay double the American price).

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 30, 2015, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on March 30, 2015, 02:44:05 PM
Got a question for Doug (couldn't find a recent Safari Topic that would be more relevant) - If Safari gave you the choice, what prehistoric animals do you most want to sculpt?

Well these days they have been giving me my choice and since we try to keep our upcoming pieces under wraps until they are officially revealed I can't really comment much. I do like doing the horned and armoured dinosaurs as you may have guessed but really I enjoy doing any dinosaur, I am living a childhood dream. In fact when I was playing with my Marx dinos back in the 60s I never dared to dream that I might be making dinosaurs for other kids some day.
I can say one thing now that the Carnegie agreement is over Safari is now able to produce prehistoric mammals again. It was a clause in the old contract that Carnegie invoked that killed my old prehistoric mammals line and prevented us from doing more. In the recent negotiations Carnegie even wanted Safari ltd to stop producing their own line of Wild Safari Dinosaurs and that was one of the final straws that ended the agreement. I am not promising mammals for 2016 or 2017 but at least now we have the option.

I'm happy to hear that option has opened up again! I know you're pretty busy in terms of new sculpts, but do you expect Safari to at least start re-issuing the models they recently discontinued? I managed to snag an Andrewsarchus before they were gone, but sadly never got around to nabbing an Ambelodon before they became unobtainable. I'd also enjoy the Arsinotherium and Giant Ground Sloth. I'm a 1:40 scale nerd, and Safari is the only company I know that produced any prehistoric mammals close to that range.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on April 06, 2015, 05:11:02 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on March 30, 2015, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on March 30, 2015, 02:44:05 PM
Got a question for Doug (couldn't find a recent Safari Topic that would be more relevant) - If Safari gave you the choice, what prehistoric animals do you most want to sculpt?

Well these days they have been giving me my choice and since we try to keep our upcoming pieces under wraps until they are officially revealed I can't really comment much. I do like doing the horned and armoured dinosaurs as you may have guessed but really I enjoy doing any dinosaur, I am living a childhood dream. In fact when I was playing with my Marx dinos back in the 60s I never dared to dream that I might be making dinosaurs for other kids some day.
I can say one thing now that the Carnegie agreement is over Safari is now able to produce prehistoric mammals again. It was a clause in the old contract that Carnegie invoked that killed my old prehistoric mammals line and prevented us from doing more. In the recent negotiations Carnegie even wanted Safari ltd to stop producing their own line of Wild Safari Dinosaurs and that was one of the final straws that ended the agreement. I am not promising mammals for 2016 or 2017 but at least now we have the option.

I'm happy to hear that option has opened up again! I know you're pretty busy in terms of new sculpts, but do you expect Safari to at least start re-issuing the models they recently discontinued? I managed to snag an Andrewsarchus before they were gone, but sadly never got around to nabbing an Ambelodon before they became unobtainable. I'd also enjoy the Arsinotherium and Giant Ground Sloth. I'm a 1:40 scale nerd, and Safari is the only company I know that produced any prehistoric mammals close to that range.

Speaking of which, I wonder if now that the Carnegie contract is over, Safari would be able to produce their own range of 1:40 scale figures, or at least do some more small-sized scale figures? Was this option previously closed, or are all the WS figures mainly the same size/not to scale because it allows better detail?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Doug Watson

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on April 06, 2015, 05:11:02 AM

I haven't heard anything about reissuing those pieces but that is a suggestion that could be made on Safari Ltd Facebook page, don't dredge up any of the negative Carnegie discussion just ask if they would be open to reissuing them. The more fans that suggest that kind of thing the more clout it has.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 06, 2015, 12:12:43 PM
Speaking of which, I wonder if now that the Carnegie contract is over, Safari would be able to produce their own range of 1:40 scale figures, or at least do some more small-sized scale figures? Was this option previously closed, or are all the WS figures mainly the same size/not to scale because it allows better detail?

I don't think there was ever a restriction on scale. The size of the WS pieces was determined by Safari ltd.

Daspletodave

Hi Doug. Personally I like the size of the current WS pieces. Nothing too big and nothing too small. I like the fact that the sauropods (Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus) are similar in size to each other, and ditto for the various ceratopsians that you've done.
What I personally do not like is when similar species (ie Edmontosaurus and Gryposaurus) are vastly different in size. If you can keep similar species roughly the same size that would be great.
I think the issue of scale is fading fast with collectors. Even the companies that purported to stick to a standard scale showed a high degree of variability with their figures.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 06, 2015, 03:20:30 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 06, 2015, 12:12:43 PM

I don't think there was ever a restriction on scale. The size of the WS pieces was determined by Safari ltd.
That's interesting, I was curious about what determined the scale of the WS pieces, which I asked about earlier in this thread:
Quote from: Sim on December 30, 2014, 09:47:56 PM
I've been wondering, what determines which scale you sculpt a Wild Safari figure in?  Do you try to keep consistent scales between the figures you sculpt, e.g. one scale for smaller animals, another scale for bigger animals?
Since it wasn't answered I thought you might've forgotten about it, or... that you didn't want to say!  Hehe! ;)

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 06, 2015, 03:42:34 PM
I think the issue of scale is fading fast with collectors.
From what I've seen, there are people on here that are interested in having figures that are to scale with each other, and other people on here who like having figures that aren't to scale with each other.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 06, 2015, 03:42:34 PM
Hi Doug. Personally I like the size of the current WS pieces. Nothing too big and nothing too small. I like the fact that the sauropods (Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus) are similar in size to each other, and ditto for the various ceratopsians that you've done.
What I personally do not like is when similar species (ie Edmontosaurus and Gryposaurus) are vastly different in size. If you can keep similar species roughly the same size that would be great.
I think the issue of scale is fading fast with collectors. Even the companies that purported to stick to a standard scale showed a high degree of variability with their figures.

Daspletodave & Sim I usually try to scale groups of dinosaurs in similar scales like sauropods to sauropods, horned dinos to horned dinos etc but sometimes it is difficult because of huge size discrepancies. I also suggest scaling similar sized species in the same scale. The really small species are very difficult. I did not do the Edmontosaurus so I had no say in that one. For the Gryposaurus I scaled it to my T rex using the estimated length of 42 feet for G. monumentensis. Don't forget the bulk of our sales are to kids and a lot of what goes in to it is giving them value for their money.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 06, 2015, 04:14:55 PM
Don't forget the bulk of our sales are to kids and a lot of what goes in to it is giving them value for their money.

No! You've got to be kidding me? Kids? Get out of town!? You mean these toys are for children? I thought this was about us? What is the world coming to?   :)) :)) JK
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Scale doesn't much matter to me. I generally like figures of a size around 6" and up...most of the time that's 1:40 or so.

Takama

Scale is not an issue with me, its the Variety of species that i like.

Doug, can you please convince Safari to make more small species like the Archeopteryx.

Concavenator

Quote from: Takama on April 06, 2015, 06:15:36 PM

Doug, can you please convince Safari to make more small species like the Archeopteryx.
Oh yes please.I really enjoy your Archie Doug.Can't wait to get it  :)

Yutyrannus

A correctly colored Microraptor, perhaps?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 06, 2015, 06:38:53 PM

Not sure if that would work, as it would be too similar to the Archeopteryx.  How about a New Dilong ,Cuadipteyrx, and Citipati (animals that were once a Exclusive part of the Carnegie Collection)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on April 06, 2015, 06:44:45 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 06, 2015, 06:38:53 PM

Not sure if that would work, as it would be too similar to the Archeopteryx.  How about a New Dilong ,Cuadipteyrx, and Citipati (animals that were once a Exclusive part of the Carnegie Collection)

Anzu ?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: