News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Patrx

While we're all just throwing out suggestions for maniraptorans - how about Deinonychus? Or! Maybe you could be one of the first to portray the new look for Utahraptor. Whatever exactly that is, and whenever that gets published...

Takama

More Dromaeosaurs period!    Schelich releases the same blasted species every year in different pose and colors, but i suggested to them that they can name it something similar. For instance, they have a New Giganotosaurus coming out while they already have one in there line to begin with. I suggested to them that they name it a Mapusaurus, and the kids wont know the difference sine they think releasing the same blasted species would make them more money.

Of course SChelich dose not give a crap about its collectors, but What im getting at for Safari is that they Should make Bunch of Different Drameosaurs, that are different species, and the kids can buy them all to make a pack of Raptors. They wont know the difference between them, and Collectors get a variety. Same thing should apply to Sauropods.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Takama on April 06, 2015, 07:08:47 PM
More Dromaeosaurs period!    Schelich releases the same blasted species every year in different pose and colors, but i suggested to them that they can name it something similar. For instance, they have a New Giganotosaurus coming out while they already have one in there line to begin with. I suggested to them that they name it a Mapusaurus, and the kids wont know the difference sine they think releasing the same blasted species would make them more money.

Of course SChelich dose not give a crap about its collectors, but What im getting at for Safari is that they Should make Bunch of Different Drameosaurs, that are different species, and the kids can buy them all to make a pack of Raptors. They wont know the difference between them, and Collectors get a variety. Same thing should apply to Sauropods.

This is very true, but I personally also like to have multiple individuals of a species. Easy enough with Tyrannosaurus, but we simply don't know if they were social animals or not. Not so easy with something like Olorotitan. I think mine is lonely lol! But seriously, it means I can simulate a natural group of animals, rather than a mixture of species that may be separated both geographically and temporally. And this isn't just an adult thing - as a kid my herd of plastic Parasaurolophus was very important! ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

John

Quote from: Patrx on April 06, 2015, 07:02:29 PM
While we're all just throwing out suggestions for maniraptorans - how about Deinonychus? Or! Maybe you could be one of the first to portray the new look for Utahraptor. Whatever exactly that is, and whenever that gets published...
Yes,Deinonychus would be nice to see!
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

DC

My best guess is that Safari now feels more comfortable doing Wild Safari versions of some the old Carnegie.  They tended to avoid releasing competing versions.  I really liked the 1/40 scale but I think retailers prefer the smaller Wild Safari scale.  I do a lot of gaming, like Saurian Safari, and Wild Safari is much easier to game with.  I hope Safari will do a small theropod toob.  I would like to see a a Good luck mini raptor, coelophysis or compy.  Given that all the companies are releasing small sets that is where I am looking for my small dromesaurs.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Anchiornis would be cool. This little troodontid has the unique distinction of being the most completely known of perhaps any dinosaur! Not only do we have a complete covering of feathers, but we also know roughly what its color patterns looked like! How wild is that? Every kids book I ever grew up with made it a point to say "we'll never know what color dinosaurs were..."

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 25, 2015, 05:34:04 AM
Anchiornis would be cool. This little troodontid has the unique distinction of being the most completely known of perhaps any dinosaur! Not only do we have a complete covering of feathers, but we also know roughly what its color patterns looked like! How wild is that? Every kids book I ever grew up with made it a point to say "we'll never know what color dinosaurs were..."
We have nearly complete feather coverings for several dinosaurs, mostly from China, and for some of them we also know the coloring. We only have however, one dinosaur in all the world..that we can assign the integument, the precise scale patterning , size and distribution.....and if you accept the color study that was done, even the coloring, (make note, Thomas Holz has stated the color study done for this dinosaur IS highly suspect but refused to clarify the comment) that is also not feathered....psittacosaurus of course !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 25, 2015, 07:51:24 AM
We have nearly complete feather coverings for several dinosaurs, mostly from China, and for some of them we also know the coloring. We only have however, one dinosaur in all the world..that we can assign the integument, the precise scale patterning , size and distribution.....and if you accept the color study that was done, even the coloring, (make note, Thomas Holz has stated the color study done for this dinosaur IS highly suspect but refused to clarify the comment) that is also not feathered....psittacosaurus of course !!!

What?!? I haven't ever heard about the scale patterns and coloration (even if they are suspect)! Where can I read about this?
(I do know that Psittacosaurus is well known enough that we've been able to identify over a dozen species within the one genus alone! I think the actual number is close to 18, but I'm not sure...)

joossa

What month of the year does Safari reveal its new upcoming models? I could check back, but am wondering if anyone knows off-hand if they have been consistent in their reveal dates? I know the models are often available just as the new year starts, right?
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

John

Quote from: joossa on August 25, 2015, 08:17:30 PM
What month of the year does Safari reveal its new upcoming models? I could check back, but am wondering if anyone knows off-hand if they have been consistent in their reveal dates? I know the models are often available just as the new year starts, right?
There were some early leaks in September the last few years,but officially,it's usually around October.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 25, 2015, 04:27:14 PM

What?!? I haven't ever heard about the scale patterns and coloration (even if they are suspect)! Where can I read about this?
(I do know that Psittacosaurus is well known enough that we've been able to identify over a dozen species within the one genus alone! I think the actual number is close to 18, but I'm not sure...)
If you are good at reading science papers I can email you the paper regarding the psittacosaurus if you wish, just message me.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

What?!? I haven't ever heard about the scale patterns and coloration (even if they are suspect)!

If I recall correctly, the paper was considered dubious partly because of the involvement of Theagarten Lingham-Soliar, a notorious BANDit. While Pisttacosaurus isn't even a theropod, there is some prattle in the paper's abstract about Sinosauropteryx' feathers being "collagen". Oy.  ::)

Even so, nobody else has taken a guess as to the coloration of Psittacosaurus, so any attempt at a hypothesis on the matter is interesting. I myself based a paintup of Aaron Doyle's Shapeways model on it.

stargatedalek

While I'd be skeptical to take the word of said author(s) at face value, this Psittacosaurus fossil is one of those exceptional finds where any amateur can look closely at the remains and grasp the general idea of what the experts are interpreting. I'd be cautious of saying we know the colours of Psittacosaurus, but the patterns are there written in stone.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 25, 2015, 10:55:08 PM

If you are good at reading science papers I can email you the paper regarding the psittacosaurus if you wish, just message me.

Sure thing! I actually already have the original paper from 2002 that first described bristles in Psittacosaurus, if you don't have it and want to swap!

amargasaurus cazaui

I believe I already have the other paper somewhere but am glad to share the one you are missing as well for you, if you could just provide me an email address where to send it. It is also authored by the same man as did the first one...I for my own part, see some evidence within the paper for suggesting the colors proposed are in fact accurate based on various factors tied into this animals demise and preserveration. I do wish to again state Mr. Holz had stated he felt the color study done was highly suspect however.

Concavenator

Quote from: joossa on August 25, 2015, 08:17:30 PM
The 2016 models haven't been announced yet;though I guess they will pretty soon.Safari does announce their new releases in September.And it's almost September.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but does anybody know approximately what scale the Safari Sauropelta is? Preferably someone who has the actual model, since listed product dimensions are sometimes a little off.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 16, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but does anybody know approximately what scale the Safari Sauropelta is? Preferably someone who has the actual model, since listed product dimensions are sometimes a little off.

The model is a little less than 20 cm long measured from the nose to the tail along the spine, and the animal was in the neighborhood of 5 m, so it comes out to around 1:25. Hope that helps!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

joossa

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 16, 2015, 09:48:41 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 16, 2015, 09:27:27 PM

The model is a little less than 20 cm long measured from the nose to the tail along the spine, and the animal was in the neighborhood of 5 m, so it comes out to around 1:25. Hope that helps!

Argh! Are you serious!? Mind blown again.
Guess I have to train myself to stop the 1:40 assumption.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: