News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Quote from: masakira on January 13, 2016, 08:48:38 PM
Has anyone seen the 'Megasaurus Saurophagenax'?

The sculpt is very similar to the Papo Allosaurus, but as an interesting turn, the new papo baryonyx looks to have drawn inspiration from the same model.
It's one of my favourite figures, actually!  :) :) :-[ ;)
That reminds me, there's a company called "Mighty Megasaurs" that knocks off Megasaurs dinosaurs and copies papo and JP sculpts" Here is some"

Sim

Quote from: Dilopho on January 13, 2016, 08:54:06 PM
That reminds me, there's a company called "Mighty Megasaurs" that knocks off Megasaurs dinosaurs and copies papo and JP sculpts" Here is some"

That Triceratops is a knock-off of one of CollectA's Triceratops.

CityRaptor

The Raptor is based on the Jurassic Park Velociraptor made by Kenner, the T.rex seems to be based on the Junior T.rex but bulked up. And finally the Spino is based on the TLW Spino.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

LophoLeeVT

papo trex is actually nice model.....but......
look at what they did to him now.....
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Silvanusaurus

The sculpt is very similar to the Papo Allosaurus, but as an interesting turn, the new papo baryonyx looks to have drawn inspiration from the same model.

Yes, I bought one a while ago... it's clearly heavily influenced by the Papo allosaurus, though it is atleast a unique sculpt and not just a recast. They seem perfect as the basis for customising, as they're very easy to slice up, dismember and re-assemble... >:D

Saurox

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 16, 2016, 07:15:02 PM

Yes, I bought one a while ago... it's clearly heavily influenced by the Papo allosaurus, though it is atleast a unique sculpt and not just a recast. They seem perfect as the basis for customising, as they're very easy to slice up, dismember and re-assemble... >:D

Haha, if only I had the skill for that.  :)

Viking Spawn

HOLY MOLY!  Now THAT fits as a "Bootleg" in every way, shape, or form!  Right down to the foot stand! 

Looks like a lot of Rebor's fine detailing is still present too.  They definitely were able to recast the mold.  Even the paint app is very close! 

CityRaptor

Looks like one of the "better" bootlegs. I think it brings out that thing having a JP Rex head even more than the original.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Viking Spawn

Since this is coming out of China, I wonder if it is possible a mold was stolen and replicated?  This is definitely one of the better knock offs!  Thoughts?

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 22, 2016, 08:19:28 AM
Since this is coming out of China, I wonder if it is possible a mold was stolen and replicated?  This is definitely one of the better knock offs!  Thoughts?

I much preferred the previous Rebor Tyrannosaurus knock-off posted in this thread.  ;)  I don't find anything appealing about this new one.

yankeetrex

Quote from: Sim on January 22, 2016, 02:16:43 PM

I much preferred the previous Rebor Tyrannosaurus knock-off posted in this thread.  ;)  I don't find anything appealing about this new one.

Then you must not like the Original Rebor Rex, because this is an exact copy,haha

sauroid

well, i think that is exactly his point.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Quote from: yankeetrex on January 22, 2016, 03:35:37 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 22, 2016, 02:16:43 PM

Then you must not like the Original Rebor Rex, because this is an exact copy,haha

Quote from: sauroid on January 22, 2016, 04:06:38 PM
well, i think that is exactly his point.

I don't like the Rebor Tyrannosaurus, and this new knock-off shares a lot of things I dislike with the original figure.  In my previous post I was just expressing my opinion on this knock-off in response to Viking Spawn's post, though.

Viking Spawn

The only thing I like more about the previous knock off is that the figure stands on its own two feet.  Had this NEW knock off been done the same way, I'd be VERY tempted to buy one!  (Forgive me, my thoughts are impure.)

Sim

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 22, 2016, 05:08:04 PM
The only thing I like more about the previous knock off is that the figure stands on its own two feet.  Had this NEW knock off been done the same way, I'd be VERY tempted to buy one!  (Forgive me, my thoughts are unpure.)

Hehe! :))  I'm not sure if Rebor ever fixed it, but in the Rebor Tyrannosaurus thread it was concluded the Rebor Tyrannosaurus is cross-eyed.  That knock-off that could stand on its own also had the pupil correctly in the centre of the eye, which is how it would have been in real life due to the sclerotic ring holding it in the centre with only a little wiggle room.

Viking Spawn

joossa

Quote from: yankeetrex on January 22, 2016, 05:37:26 AM
If you thought the previous version weve seen of the Rebor King Rex was a knockoff......check this out.....wow

That is impressive. Then again... the Chinese do make pretty good Marvel Legends and SH Figuarts rip offs. Still though...
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dilopho

Because if it has the Collecta logo in the picture, it MUST be an official Collecta model!  ;) ;) ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: