News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Can anyone show me pictures of the Mighty Megasaur Spinosaurus?

I like that company. Even though they are almost all "mix and matched" parts from different dinosaur figures- for example, the Dilophosaurus has papo running rex legs and original, yet well-sculpted head.

They sent me the Dilophosaurus for free because I sent a little review of their Velociraptor mini to them after I got it for Christmas. Good people. I asked if a Mosasaurus was possible since JW ones are too hard to find and they said it would be too hard to make a waterproof toy but that's not what I meant! Haha.

I was the first in the world to own one! Felt really cool! It was at the same time that I won the Protocast contests, I was like...
woah! I've never won ANYTHING before! Now two dinosaurs! Amazing!

Silvanusaurus

Are 'Mighty Megasaurs' and plain old 'Megasaurs' made by the same company?

CityRaptor

Probably.

First one, based on The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Second one, based on Jurassic World

Possible Indominus and red Schleich T.rex bootlegs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLadJnxsmWQ

More bootlegs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA2TW5hlsTs

That reviewer seems to have tons of them...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dilopho

No, i am friends  on line with her. They are repaints. The indominus is a repaint. The rexes are official colour variations. Sorry for wierd reply here i am on a tablet and not used to flat keybosrd screen thing.

Dilopho

Okay, I'm back on a computer now so I can give you a proper answer.
SuperFunReviews repainted her Indominus rex figure because it can change colour. She does a lot of dinosaur battles. The green and red one in that video was the "original" repaint, but since she uses a greenscreen, it was kind of...messing up a little bit? So she repainted it blue!

As for the schleichs, those are real colour schemes and real models!

She only buys proper models.

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 23, 2016, 09:57:37 AM
Are 'Mighty Megasaurs' and plain old 'Megasaurs' made by the same company?

No. Megasaurs are by HGL. Mighty Megasaurs are by Dragon-I.
Dragon-I tend to do the "main" dinosaurs only. Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Triceratops, Dilophosaurus and Pteranodon. They also do dragons. They usually always have a gimmick or action feature.
HGL's Megasaurs are just regular figures. A lot of them are the origin of chinasaurs, such as the humped Megalosaurus. They used to be something different in the 90s I think.
They tend to have more original sculpts.
Here's some examples:
MIGHTY MEGASAURS

MEGASAURS

CityRaptor

Quote from: Dilopho on October 23, 2016, 10:33:47 AM
No, i am friends  on line with her. They are repaints. The indominus is a repaint. The rexes are official colour variations. Sorry for wierd reply here i am on a tablet and not used to flat keybosrd screen thing.

Ah, repaints. Thought they were "high quality" bootlegs. So she has the golden T.rex, too?
Oh no

Dilopho

Yes.

If you want some more examples of MIGHTY Megasaurs copying...

It is clearly based on Blue. Maybe not copied directly from the mold but they clearly took a lot of influence. Better action feature though. Legs kicking make much more sense for a Velociraptor.

Silvanusaurus

Oh, that's interesting. I had previously assumed because of the shared 'Megasaur' name that they were both lines from the same origin. HGL's Megasaurs certainly strike me as the more interesting. Thanks for the info Dilopho.

BlueKrono

Pertinent article. Shows not only the damage knock-offs sellers can do to the originator of a product but also Amazon's policy on the matter:

http://www.aol.com/article/finance/2016/10/25/counterfeiters-on-amazon-are-putting-this-company-in-jeopardy/21591460/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CarnegieCollector

Wal-mart has just recently started selling schleich knock-offs....yes, schleich is the high-quality dinosaur brand they sell, yet they are selling bootlegs of them.

The brand seems to be a wal-mart exclusive called "adventure wheels". There are 3 sets, each one comes with a "Hunter dude", weapons and tools (like pickaxes), a truck, a trailer, and of course, a knock off schleich.
They are:
Triceratops
T-Rex
Gigantotosaurus

They look exactly like schleich, only they are somewhat smaller, have slightly different colors, and have a big gaudy button on their side that, when pressed, emits that stock dinosaur roar everyone is familiar with. It goes something like this, and is very high pitched: EHHHHHHaaaaaerrrrr. Then it repeats 3 times.

Quite amusing.  :)

https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Wheels-Dinosaur-Explorer-Playset/dp/B015UTEN8A

And no, they are not that expensive in store.
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

stargatedalek

I can top Walmart selling Schleich and bootlegs, Animal Planet has started licensing Chap Mei bootlegs.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 03, 2016, 12:28:29 AM
I can top Walmart selling Schleich and bootlegs, Animal Planet has started licensing Chap Mei bootlegs.

Holy gosh wow mackerel, that's crazy! Isn't  Chap Mei owned by animal planet? If so, that is even more crazy.

I saw some chap Mei knock offs at Grocery Outlet a week or so ago.
They were packaged in an oversized box (that looked pretty cool though), and each one had a plastic tree, a ceratosaurus that looked OK, a parasaurolophus (made from that same mold we see everywhere), and a...*sigh*..."raptor". It didn't have a sickle claw. It didn't have feathers. It had a strange head. It looked like a megalosaurus... Also, despite being rubbery plastic with no articulation, they had enormous screw holes. All over the place.
Any-who, the piece of resistance, was the chap Mei rip offs that seemed to be the main part of the set. It was the Spinosaurus, the Utahraptor, and a Jurassic park 3 Triceratops knock off.
They were slightly smaller, had very very dull coloration, and made stock dinosaur sounds (and they all sounded the same).

They cost as much as offical chap Mei toys (which are much better).

Oh yeah, and they were officially licensed...
Guess who...

Smithsonian.

Yes, you read that right. Smithonian. Chap Mei molds are NOT museum quality. They make great toys or Jurassic park style dinosaurs, but they are not museum quality.

Archinto

Id say one of my most hated knockoffs are the imitation Lego dinosaurs. It makes it difficult to find the real thing there are so many fakes out there.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

CityRaptor

Oh no

Flaffy

Found some knockoff figures of the AAA prehistoric mammals. On TaoBao.

sauroid

those are really bad copies of the classic AAAs. the synthetoceras looks particularly horrible.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 11, 2016, 02:38:42 AM
Found some knockoff figures of the AAA prehistoric mammals. On TaoBao.

The entelodont seems to be aware he is a knock off. He seems ashamed.

docronnie

It's now hard to determine on Ebay if they're selling the real thing or the fake ones. It is reallly much better if you could see and hold the item.  But then again, not all of us have this opportunity.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

CityRaptor

Yep, that is exactly how it happened in the movie.

Found by "The Dinosaur Man" and posted on JPToysforum.
Oh no

Lanthanotus

Oh my, nice find,.. that raptor looks like a broiler jumping from the grill :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: