News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmasaurus

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

Heh sometimes it's nice to get a knockoff so you can have two different (yet same) variations of a figure and makes it look natural ( just my opinion DO NOT go crazy over it)
"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Still better than anything Hasbro launched.

CityRaptor

That looks like the Indominus Rex that came with the Blue Ray Boxset.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 19, 2017, 09:59:27 PM
That looks like the Indominus Rex that came with the Blue Ray Boxset.
That's it all right, but even in this state it's better than anything Hasbro sold for JW :P

CityRaptor

Which probably explains why Hasbro lost the license to Mattel.
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I have no idea what the heck is going on here, but whatever it is, apparently its a limited edition and is 2" in size, and best of all, you can pay for it in installments of £9 a month for 12 months, so it's affordable if you're on a budget:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinosaur-snr-samir-autumn-figure-print-limited-edition-/222618764939?hash=item33d51cc68b:g:RVMAAOSwTCZZc9yr

BlueKrono

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 20, 2017, 07:41:24 PM
I have no idea what the heck is going on here, but whatever it is, apparently its a limited edition and is 2" in size, and best of all, you can pay for it in installments of £9 a month for 12 months, so it's affordable if you're on a budget:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinosaur-snr-samir-autumn-figure-print-limited-edition-/222618764939?hash=item33d51cc68b:g:RVMAAOSwTCZZc9yr

And if you're really into it, get a bunch, he's got 30!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ravonium

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 20, 2017, 07:41:24 PM

When the majority of the items you (the seller) have for sale are the exact same, overpriced, Papo knockoffs, you know that you are dealing with someone who has chosen the wrong job.

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 21, 2017, 03:38:59 AM
And if you're really into it, get a bunch, he's got 30!

Apparently these are each different editions. Here are all the ones I could find:

• Teles edition
  • Doe edition (There is also a "Really Doe" edition)
  • Gold edition
  • Coal edition
  • Blake edition
  • Autumn edition
  • Wolf edition
  • Pitchfork edition
  • Uniform edition
  • Sapphire edition
  • Frosted edition
  • Guen edition
  • Craft edition
  • Blue Orange edition
  • Peach edition
  • Harper edition
  • Epic edition
  • Smoke edition
  • Push edition
  • Gated edition
  • Kick edition
  • Sunrise edition
  • Oak edition
  • Scales edition
  • Granite edition
  • Hope edition
  • Brass edition
  • Haze edition

IrritatorRaji

I'm usually against knock-offs, but I will admit that I have bought a couple to save on cash (since I don't make the best money)

For example, I wanted the Rebor Tenontosaurus carcass for my Papo Acrocanthosaurus, but I didn't want to spend £66 buying both Rebor sets (plus, I hate Rebor's Acrocanthosaurus). So I bought a cheap knock-off on Ebay. Aside from the guts being black and the paint job being a little less in quality, it's actually a pretty decent figure, it was only £8.99 as well.

CityRaptor

Oh no

sauroid

this Papo Carnotaurus bootleg looks so good in red color scheme so i bought it. would look nice standing next to my original Papo Carno.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

IrritatorRaji

Came across this knock off of Schleich's Green Velociraptor and, not gonna lie, I'm really tempted to buy it. I know the paint job is mimicking the JP3 female Velociraptor but this knock off just looks so much better than the original (and it's only $3)

stargatedalek

That looks better in every way.

The paint design is more detailed and the application is better.
The seams are much less visible.
It's only $3 instead of $25 (no that's not a joke, this garbage Schleich raptor retails for $25 in Canada).
I'd be willing to bet it's made of hard plastic and not that disgusting chalky plastic Schleich loves.

Even accounting for the cost of making a sculpt there is no excuse for it having better production quality than the original. Ethics aside it's blatant that this bootleg company has put just as much thought and effort into this product as Schleich put into the original, which is truly pathetic.

Primeval12

I say grab it. It'll make a good addition to your Jurassic Park collection!

Sim

Even knocking off that Schleich "Velociraptor" and giving it a different colour scheme doesn't change how absurd and horrible that figure is.  Its head is obnoxious.  And why is it sticking its middle fingers up?  I had never noticed it before that the Schleich figure that's being knocked off here has the middle fingers raised too.  Maybe the figure's raised middle fingers are a way of showing Schleich's contempt for people when Schleich decided they didn't deserve a better Velociraptor figure than this rubbish.  I'm not going to comment further on how its dewclaws are twisted out behind it to help it stand.  I think this figure is not just one of Schleich's worst dinosaur figures, but one of the worst dinosaur figures ever.

The toe claws on this knock-off look noticeably worse than those on the Schleich figure it's knocking off.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: