News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Well, at least the head isn't part of a pose that makes the model look like it's trying to scare someone, which is what the Papo Baryonyx looks like to me.

The fact that they could put the known species of Spinosaurus on the image, as well as the name of the palaeontologist who first described Spinosaurus, yet they called a knock-off Carnotaurus Torosaurus raises quite a lot of questions.

stargatedalek

Toro and Carno can both mean bull, the error likely lies in translation.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 30, 2017, 10:41:02 PM

Actually 'carno' means meat. Carnotaurus, means, 'meat-eating bull'.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 01, 2017, 12:36:42 AM

Gah! How did I manage to goof that up! Thanks as always.

Loon

I'm surprised they've already made a model based on Jack Horner's newest theory, where Torosaurus(an adolescent form of the juvenile triceratops) lost its nasal horn, frill, and beak, shrunk its larger horns, and arms, and became bipedal! Truly, a company that pays attention to paleontological accuracy!

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 01, 2017, 12:46:57 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 01, 2017, 12:36:42 AM

Gah! How did I manage to goof that up! Thanks as always.

haha, no worries. Actually getting back to the discussion at hand, it's probably just a misprint. Maybe they have a Torosaurus in their line, too, and the name just got transferred over. If you have seen my review on ATF of the Wing Mau set of six crabs (Aqua Museum), I point out that the long armed soldier crab's paperwork has the scientific name of one of the fiddler crabs in the same set. Probably just an editorial error

Although, Loon's comment above had me literally laughing out loud!

Simon

Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 30, 2017, 10:20:35 PM
Whoa!  That Spinosaurus is one bootleg I certainly wouldn't mind owning!  :o

Well...technically I wouldn't call it a "pure bootleg" ... more like a "kitbashed bootleg" incorporating parts of the Papo Spino and Bary (Its clearly a new sculpt that is inspired by the two Papo toys mentioned above, its not an exact copy of either one.)

And, if I may, (inferior quality production issues aside), its a better overall figure than either the Papo Spino or the Papo Bary!

Simon

Quote from: yankeetrex on November 30, 2017, 01:59:42 PM
And the Star of the bunch.....

I nominate whoever sculpted/kitbashed this figure as the "Paleo-toy Artist of The Year".  The vibe I'm getting is THAT GOOD.  The color scheme itself just ROCKS.  I know its not anatomically accurate, but man oh man, as a dinosaur toy figure its just about !$%&@! PERFECT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Meh, it would have been cool back in 2008. But since the Ibrahim paper, it's now just an outdated reconstruction, relegated to the same dustbin as the Allosaurus headed Spinosaurus of years past. I don't see the reason for the fuss.  It's not retro enough for me to be nostalgic about either.

Shonisaurus

Honestly for a person who is not a collector those Knock-off figures deceive the buyer. Many of them are very well made.

The bad thing will be the material in which many of these figures are made, unfortunately, toxic and that can even cause skin diseases

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

IrritatorRaji

Came across these rubber knock offs with some... interesting names.

I'm guessing their names are a play on the meanings of their real names (with the exceptions of the Parasaurolophus and "Stegosaurus" cub) which I find weird because, in that same listing, they've got dinosaurs with normal(ish) names.

( ^ I will never not read that one as "the name's Rex... Tyrannosaurus Rex" )

sauroid

"Confuse the Dragon", "Stegosaurus cub" LMAO
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

They are uniformly awful, I've seen these and a lot more on ebay, the only one I would ever consider getting is the Apatosaurus IF and only IF someone "plussed it up" to twice its present size.

Faelrin

Those names gave me a good laugh, especially "carnivorous cattle dragon". I kind of like that bootleg Papo figure. However I'll keep holding out for a while until Papo possibly does a repaint in warm colors.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

Hahahaha!  @IrritatorRaji beat me to it.

I saw those items being sold in a toy store here... was laughing to myself when I read "confuse the dragon" on the box for the apatosaurus.

Neither the parents (who were buying for screaming children) nor the sales crew seemed aware that these were knock offs.  I can't blame them, considering the price point (around 8USD for the smallest item).

Ravonium

"Confuse the Dragon" is the best name anyone has thought of for a dinosaur toy.

Also gotta love how there are multiple castes of T-rex, There's regular T-rex, then there's Squatting Tyrannosaurus Rex, then there's Rex Tyrannosaurus Rex, then Emperor T-rex and the highest caste of all (in my opinion): Stegosaurus Cub

Syndicate Bias

I'm very aware of knock offs and I hate it. I know a guy on YouTube that does review vids of the knock offs he buys because his viewers like it. Guys a jerk but I did bid on a papo rex except it was a used one from some guy so I'll find out if it's real or not. The pics showed me it was and it was on a desk as he stated his desk so we will see. I have a papo rex already so I bought this one to see what I get. It was only 5 dollars but the seller had 100% reviews so I'll update once I inspect it. Should be arriving tomorrow

Syndicate Bias

It was an authentic one but idk how eBay works on pictures and actually not selling what was pictures as a form of deceiving marketing. So unless it looks like so getting other than the pic it should be good to go I hate knock offs lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: