News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on February 08, 2020, 04:56:10 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson On AliExpress: Oenux New Savage Jurassic Carnotaurus T-Rex Action Figures Soft Vinyl PVC Dinosaur Animals World Model Collection Toy Kid Gift
The link is broken and redirects back to this page.

I have seen this same bootleg sold on Ebay. It's pretty terrible, though considering it's a sculpt converted to soft vinyl that was never meant for that material it's an interesting adaptation...

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 08, 2020, 05:57:37 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson On AliExpress: Oenux New Savage Jurassic Carnotaurus T-Rex Action Figures Soft Vinyl PVC Dinosaur Animals World Model Collection Toy Kid Gift
The link is broken and redirects back to this page.

I have seen this same bootleg sold on Ebay. It's pretty terrible, though considering it's a sculpt converted to soft vinyl that was never meant for that material it's an interesting adaptation...

Fixed the link.

Doug Watson

Thanks avatar_Loon @Loon I have reported it to Safari Ltd, unfortunately since China doesn't respect copyright law there isn't much that can be done but I like to let Safari know when I find out about any knock offs. I love how they say their "products" have been tested by "the Most stringent testing departments in China for toys" Yah sure I'll trust the word of a company that steals products from other companies.

DragonRider02

Speaking of Safari KO's. There's a dinosaur magazine in my Country, with each issue focused on diffrent species. It also always comes with some chinasaur figure, so I never paid attention to it, until now. Some time ago I came across issue about Archaeopteryx. I was really curious about how the figure is gonna look like, since I have never seen a 'chinasaur' Archaeopteryx.
Turns out it came with knock-off of Safari Archaeopteryx.  :-X

The issue about Carcharodontosaurus also came with Safari KO.
Sorry for bad photos, but it's difficult to take better ones since the magazine is wrapped in foil. The Carcha issue had a preview of the upcoming one on the back, it's gonna be about Microraptor. There was no photo of the toy but I am pretty sure it's also gonna be Safari bootleg. I haven't seen it realesed yet though. I think there was also issue with KO CollectA Ankylosaurus.

SidB

They're following in the footsteps of Salvat, the Spanish company whose magazine issues of the 1990's were accompanied by knock-offs of Battat, Carnegie, Schleich, etc. figures. These Salvats are often considered collectibles - some are reviewed on the DTB. Maybe some of these new knock-offs will become collectible objects too, someday. Weird things sometimes come to pass.

Shonisaurus

I honestly did not buy Salvat's collection replicas sincerely seemed like imitation figures of other brands and now they are highly valued figures in the vintage toy dinosaur market, perhaps the figure that interested me most was that of the therizinosaurus based on the famous safari therizinosaurus of "Dinosaurs of China", although sincerely returning to go out in the kiosks would not buy those figures although they are very well made and I know that it is an unpopular opinion among DTF members. I would only buy the therizinosaurus together. I have a nephew who did buy these figures.

CityRaptor

Well, I rather buy the originals. Salvat should be called salvia if you ask me.  It's bizarre how certain knock-offs can become so expensive, given that they are still shoddy knock-offs.

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 08, 2020, 09:16:40 PM
China doesn't respect copyright law.
ยด

Obviously for those individuals: Copyright = Right to Copy.

You got every right to be angry!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ravonium

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 09, 2020, 02:16:57 PM
Well, I rather buy the originals. Salvat should be called salvia if you ask me.  It's bizarre how certain knock-offs can become so expensive, given that they are still shoddy knock-offs.

I would ask whether you had misspelt 'saliva', but considering what the word in question actually describes, both are perfectly appropriate ways to mock Salvat's name  ;)

stargatedalek

Salvat deserves some credit for at least re-posing and in some cases re-purposing sculpts as different similar animals. It's still not good practice but it's leagues ahead of "JURASSIC WORLD PARK BEST DINO TOYS KIDS DINOSAUR TOY" like we see nowadays.

Doug Watson

Quote from: DragonRider02 on February 09, 2020, 01:32:06 AM
Speaking of Safari KO's. There's a dinosaur magazine in my Country, with each issue focused on diffrent species. It also always comes with some chinasaur figure, so I never paid attention to it, until now. Some time ago I came across issue about Archaeopteryx. I was really curious about how the figure is gonna look like, since I have never seen a 'chinasaur' Archaeopteryx.
Sorry for bad photos, but it's difficult to take better ones since the magazine is wrapped in foil. The Carcha issue had a preview of the upcoming one on the back, it's gonna be about Microraptor. There was no photo of the toy but I am pretty sure it's also gonna be Safari bootleg. I haven't seen it realesed yet though. I think there was also issue with KO CollectA Ankylosaurus.

Thank you avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02 for posting these images, I have reported them to Safari Ltd. Please post the images of the Microraptor when it comes out if you can, especially if it is a Safari Ltd copy.

SidB

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 09, 2020, 03:35:03 PM
Salvat deserves some credit for at least re-posing and in some cases re-purposing sculpts as different similar animals. It's still not good practice but it's leagues ahead of "JURASSIC WORLD PARK BEST DINO TOYS KIDS DINOSAUR TOY" like we see nowadays.
Yes, the actuality is that on occasion, knock-offs do improve on the original, at least in some respects. For example, a couple of years ago I ordered, on eBay, what I thought was a Schleich red rex, but it turned to be a KO. The up side was that its forearms were properly supinated, not pronated like the original.

DragonRider02

I have actually bought that chinasaur T. Rex that I posted Ebay link to earlier. It is similar to the Dinosaurs in the Wild Rex but it's actually diffrent sculpt. I even like it more than the original! The figure is really small though, slightly smaller than standard CollectA feathered tyrannosaurus. I feel like for the price I paid it should be bigger. Also, the lower jaw is a Little too short and looks weird when closed.
But for a chinasaur it's really solid. The teeth are really sharp and paint isn't terrible either (aside of the pink from mouth bleeding onto the cheek on mine, but I don't care. I bought it for a repaint anyway). Actually I'd Say this is the most accurate T. Rex in. My Collection!

I have already finished repainting it and will post photos in my art thread later.

Takama

Quote from: DragonRider02 on February 09, 2020, 01:32:06 AM

this reminds me of the Salvet Dinosaurs Released in the 1990s. a Collection of dinosaurs released individualy along with magazines that were All Knock offs of Popular dinosaur Toys at the time (Correct me if im wrong guys).

DragonRider02

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I haven't seen the Microraptor anywhere, I don't know Why. I had to miss it somehow, but I have no idea how it happened :P but I have seen two other issue, both with Safari KOs. One is Coelophysis and one downsized diplodocus. Each issue also comes with dinosaur stickers (they're also probably stolen or plagiarised) and the Coelophysis even comes with sticker of the Safari figure.

Doug Watson

Quote from: DragonRider02 on February 26, 2020, 04:17:54 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I haven't seen the Microraptor anywhere, I don't know Why. I had to miss it somehow, but I have no idea how it happened :P but I have seen two other issue, both with Safari KOs. One is Coelophysis and one downsized diplodocus. Each issue also comes with dinosaur stickers (they're also probably stolen or plagiarised) and the Coelophysis even comes with sticker of the Safari figure.

Thank you avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02, I'll pass these on to Safari Ltd. The Diplodocus looks more like an "inspired by" rather than a direct copy from a mould, sad either way.

Takama

Nanmus Highend JP Rip off Replicas have Cheaply made Knockoffs now

stargatedalek

And yet you almost never see KO's of recent CollectA or Wild Safari figures...

You make JP clones you're kind of asking to get bootlegs.

SidB

True, their curb appeal is high. Same with Papo, also heavily copied, particularly the running rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: