News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 31, 2014, 10:44:48 AM
Here are the first revealed prehistoric animal pics (via CollectA on Facebook):

Edit - I've also updated the first post to include these new pictures.

Finally, a Medusaceratops ...I thought I was the only one on the forums looking for that particular ceratopsian. I like the Pliosaurus (the scar marks are a nice touch). I think I will pass on the Nasutoceratops. I'm picking up the WS version, instead. Why are Procon's colors so weird? I wish I knew how to paint..none of the colors (w/ the exception of the marine reptiles) look natural. None.

Edit- Are those parasites feasting on the Pliosaurus? I thought they were scar marks...I'm losing my vision...

Gwangi

The critters on the Pliosaurus appear to be lamprey, a parasitic (some species) jawless fish. Nice touch!

amanda

Quote from: sauroid on October 31, 2014, 01:23:43 PM
oh great, two almost perfect Nasutoceratops for 2015.

Do not forge, there is going to be a Battat Terra Nasutoceratops as well. I'd hang out making any decisions just yet. The whole Medusaceratops just looks...off...to me. The head seems out of proportion to the body, which seems..elongated? I dunno but it bothers me. And somehow I expected the frill to be much more distinctive.

suspsy

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on October 31, 2014, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 31, 2014, 03:33:01 PM
Ugh. Seriously? This makes me hesitant to acquire that figure now. What other CollectA bipeds are prone to this syndrome?

My Saurophaganax is leaning sideways, then Ichtyovenator hands will reach the ground in a matter of days.

Bistahieversor is more stable instead

Ugh. Thank you for that information. Fingers crossed that Acrocanthosaurus and Feathered T. rex are not afflicted by this.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

My thoughts so far:

I like the pliosaur for the most part, but I don't care for the parasites. I find the skull to be a little shrink wrapped also. The rest of the sculpt is really nice. Medusaceratops is okay. I suspect the sculpt is recycled from their Nasutoceratops....not much else to say about that one. Daxiatitan looks good, although it will probably be in a small scale, much like their Argentinosaurus was. The Nasutoceratops is also good. And the Xiongguanlong...probably the weakest of the bunch (imo). I don't care for the sculpting of the teeth in particular.

I like the colour choices here too. Nothing too stark and they're all quite natural looking.

Interesting stuff so far :)

amanda

MM. It does bother me somewhat that the ceratopsian's feet are warped already even on the preview pics....

ItsTwentyBelow

Alright, more news rolling in!

They all look pretty decent. Still not quite the quality feel of Safari, but I will be interested in getting all of these at some point. There is something about their ceratopsians which just cannot hold up when placed next to a Safari ceratopsian.

I think my favorite is the Pliosaurus. Perhaps Dr. A could give an idea of its accuracy? I really love those little parasite touches. That sort of thing, that attention to environmental details, is part of what makes CollectA cool. I really wish we could see a continuation of the prehistoric plants series and small dino families that CollectA has done.

I would have paid money for a 1:40 version of that Daxiatitan, but it still looks great. The Nasutoceratops looks like mostly a recycle of the Xenoceratops sculpt from last year.

Cool stuff, what's next?  8)

Nebuloid

My favourite is the Daxiatitan, contrary to most people it seems. But its a sauropod so I need to have it !

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on October 31, 2014, 04:55:20 PM
Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on October 31, 2014, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 31, 2014, 03:33:01 PM
Ugh. Seriously? This makes me hesitant to acquire that figure now. What other CollectA bipeds are prone to this syndrome?

My Saurophaganax is leaning sideways, then Ichtyovenator hands will reach the ground in a matter of days.

Bistahieversor is more stable instead

Ugh. Thank you for that information. Fingers crossed that Acrocanthosaurus and Feathered T. rex are not afflicted by this.

Those will be in the 1:40 scale though so they should be larger and more rigid like the Carcharodontosaurus. I don't think any of their 1:40 models have this tipping forward issue.

stargatedalek

I think this tipping issue is exclusive to the figures with bases, the kelenken most certainly does not suffer from it

I love the lamprey/hagfish on pliosaurus, nice touch
although those are some pretty huge lamprey

Blade-of-the-Moon

Normally I like the sauropods CollectA does in this style...but this Daxiatitan looks like the previous ones a bit much specifically the Argentinosaurus and the Diplodocus combined.  The ceratopsians will go well with their previous ones..I almost wish they would have added a calf or something else in there. Maybe male/female versions?

Xiongguanlong looks good as does the pliosaur . I can see how the lampreys could be distracting..maybe they could made another leap and made them detachable? Tiny magnets would have done it.

Overall nothing new yet to be wowed over....but they look to be keeping up with the quality they established last year.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 31, 2014, 07:22:58 PM
Overall nothing new yet to be wowed over....but they look to be keeping up with the quality they established last year.

All hope rests with the 1:40 theropods. That's what I can't wait to see! Feathered Tyrannosaurus and an Acrocanthosaurus? Bring it on!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on October 31, 2014, 07:38:43 PM

All hope rests with the 1:40 theropods. That's what I can't wait to see! Feathered Tyrannosaurus and an Acrocanthosaurus? Bring it on!

That might do it.  I hate to be a downer..I just like to see continuing improvements or new ideas.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Hi guys, just want to share with you some information about the releases by the words of Esther from CollectA:

<<Dear Friends and Fans of CollectA,

We are happy to present you the first batch of photos of our January release items. I hope you like them as much as we do.

Feel free to share those pictures with your friends and on your social networks. There are already quite some enquiries coming in through our website asking about the release of the new items.

You may have noticed that we have considerably less novelties for the new year AND we have finally re-considered our stance towards figurines with movable jaws. We had a lot of discussions and had checked with our partners in all the different countries and we got quite a favourable opinion towards movable jaws. As one of our partners had put it "The major concern is the quality. If it's done professionally it should be recognized as added benefit".

Besides that it will possibly less attract the adult collector as more attract our younger fans and it will trigger the sense for play.

Jurassic Park coming with a new release in summer 2015 we again put the heavy focus on prehistoric animals.

More photos will be released by end of next week.>>

So..let's hope that the moving jaws will be made in a nice way!

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 31, 2014, 07:48:44 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 31, 2014, 07:38:43 PM

That might do it.  I hate to be a downer..I just like to see continuing improvements or new ideas.

I agree. CollectA has certainly come a long way but there is still room for improvement. Hopefully they don't slow down on the progress they've made and remain stagnant.

Bokisaurus

:D Yes, more lovely ceratopsians! I really like these group so far. The pliosaur and it's lamprey friends is really cool and something unique, much like their other marine reptile.
Really wish the sauropod was larger, but it's nice, the neck looks more proportion than the razor thin diplo.
My favorite is the nasutoceratops by far, it's just beautiful and really love the colors on it. 2015 is looking up to be the year of nasutoceratops with 3 figures! Looking at both photos side-by-side, they do look nice together.
Oh yeah, by now, those quills on ceratopsians has become a trademark for CollectA it seems. The only other ceratopsians with it are the Kaiyodos.
CAn't wait to see the rest of the group!

suspsy

Lampreys date all the way back to the Devonian, so it's perfectly plausible that pliosaurs were parasitized by them. But yeah, assuming that's a mature Pliosaurus kevani, those are some scary big bloodsuckers. 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

I'm actually more excited about what is not revealed, in particular
Guidraco
Moropus
Temnodontosaurus

I just hope CollectA doesn't go overboard with the candy corn color schemes and obligatory tribal face masks.

Roselaar

I love what I'm seeing so far, these are definitely all on my list for next year. The only one I'm a bit hesitant about is the Daxiatitan, as it is suspiciously similar to Collecta's Argentinosaurus, but with the Diplodocus' paint job slapped on it. A little more creativity here would have been welcome.

I like the Pliosaur best (but I tend to prefer marine reptiles anyway, so that's not surprising). The parasites are a neat detail. :)

Almost all of my Collectasaurs-on-base are sagging. It's especially bad on the Pachycephalosaurus, whose face is now almost touching ground... :-/ This is definitely an issue I would like Collecta to address in future releases, since in this way the bases are not at all a step-up from figures that couldn't stand up straight without them.

John

Very nice,not a bad one in this bunch. :)
I'm still most curious about the Temnodontosaurus. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: