News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovu

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 07, 2016, 10:58:31 PM
Especially that god awful paint app!

See, personally, I think that's my biggest issue with CollectA. They have a lot of redeeming qualities - they tackle obscure species and keep up with the latest trends in paleontology. The paint application tends to be relatively poor however, and, unfortunately, unlike Safari or Battat, the sculpts, (while good) are just not at a level that can compensate for a poor paint job. If they just worked on the quality of the sculpting, they'd be close to unbeatable.

Just my two cents. Don't mean anything negative by it. 

suspsy

To each their own. I truly feel that CollectA's most recent figures, especially the T. rex, the Spinosaurus, and definitely all the prehistoric mammals, easily match Safari's and exceed Battat's in terms of sculpting.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kovu

Exactly. Different strokes for different folks.  ^-^

laticauda

Quote from: Kovu on January 08, 2016, 02:26:46 AM
Exactly. Different strokes for different folks.  ^-^
That is the beauty of collecting.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Kovu on January 07, 2016, 11:11:13 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 07, 2016, 10:58:31 PM
Especially that god awful paint app!

See, personally, I think that's my biggest issue with CollectA. They have a lot of redeeming qualities - they tackle obscure species and keep up with the latest trends in paleontology. The paint application tends to be relatively poor however, and, unfortunately, unlike Safari or Battat, the sculpts, (while good) are just not at a level that can compensate for a poor paint job. If they just worked on the quality of the sculpting, they'd be close to unbeatable.

Just my two cents. Don't mean anything negative by it.

I'll take your two cents and raise you four!  I agree with you!

sauroid

excellent sculpts are ruined by really badly conceived/sloppy/crappy paint apps. sadly this is just so common among the big brands.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Which toys have these poor paint apps you keep speaking of? It's fine to personally dislike the colour schemes on say, the T. rex or the Spinosaurus trio, but they don't have poorly applied paint. Same goes for all of the mammal figures.

Well, at least mine don't. As Sauroid noted, factory error is all too common. I remember refusing to buy the 1996 Carnegie T. rex back in the day because all the ones in the store had lopsided eyes.

Dobber

Here is a teaser of the Rex. I don't want to show too much as there are still lot's of detailing to do. The look is based on Bearded Vultures.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Viking Spawn

Oooh, I likey so far!   :o

Jetoar

Really beutifyul custom  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 08, 2015, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: Dinobot on November 08, 2015, 04:55:01 PM
A quick question regarding the deluxe Collecta Spinosaurus fig: How close is it to 1:40 scale?
It's accurate for 1:40 if you use the smallest estimate for Spinosaurus (12.6 metres). For anything larger, it's too small. Estimates for the size of Spino range from 12 to 18 metres.

I've been pooling resources for my Spinosaurus build, I think the Deluxe is slightly larger, at 1:40 the skull is bigger than 6' by a few inches. The back of the skull works out to almost 30" wide. I think it should be closer to 20".  But then all CollectAs seem to be thicker overall.

MLMjp

Quote from: Dobber on January 08, 2016, 06:10:40 PM
Here is a teaser of the Rex. I don't want to show too much as there are still lot's of detailing to do. The look is based on Bearded Vultures.

Chris

If they had made the feathers of the neck T.rex like you instead of giving it that mohawk. I will probably had already bought the figure(Although it still has a base ::)) but with that little retool you made a great looking figure a touch that it really needed. Fantastic work Dobber!
If only I could make customized figures like you and the others I would have already bought the rex and did something similar to it.

Federreptil

Quote from: Dobber on January 08, 2016, 06:10:40 PM

Chris

This hairstyle retooling is a big improovement and the basic color scheme looks very promising. So can't wait to see the final glory.

AcroSauroTaurus

Dobber, do you plan on putting a touch of color on the head or neck? or is it supposed to be a female?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Sim

You've done really amazing work on that CollectA Tyrannosaurus, Dobber!  To me it already looks so much better without its original colour scheme and the feather mohawk.

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 24, 2016, 05:29:57 AM
Dobber, do you plan on putting a touch of color on the head or neck? or is it supposed to be a female?

In some birds, like cassowaries, females are more colourful than males...

Dobber

Thanks everyone! Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been working on this, the Spino, and 4 Star Wars X-Wings all at once! :o

There is lots of Progress to show on the Rex, I may even finish it today  8) I'll try and take some pictures of it and the Spino for you.

Chris

Viking Spawn

Looking forward to the finished T-Rex!

Dobber

I'm not happy with how the pictures came out, but here are a couple that are ok. I'll take more this afternoon when I get home from work.

Chris

alexeratops

Amazing! I love the colors (or should I say shades?) all over its body, especially the little flecks of black on the back of its head.
like a bantha!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: