News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I agree with tyrantqueen giganotosaurus the release is only a matter of time. Already exists in companies like Schleich Bullyland and also there (as they have canceled the production in Carnegie).

Papo discarding at least in the coming year as I understand rumors are not unfounded, and that company is Collecta pulls no qualms in making figures in quantity (and fortunately in ever increasing quality).

As for Safari I understand that they must do one giganotosaurus time, if not in this 2016 will be in the next.

John

Quote from: suspsy on May 30, 2015, 04:49:03 AM
Also, screw Apatosaurus. I want CollectA to make a Brontosaurus.
Why only get one or the other? Why not get both Apatosaurus louisae AND Brontosaurus excelsus (if the new paper separating many sauropods including those two holds up to scrutiny that is). :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: John on May 30, 2015, 08:31:44 PM
Why only get one or the other? Why not get both Apatosaurus louisae AND Brontosaurus excelsus (if the new paper separating many sauropods including those two holds up to scrutiny that is). :)

Every paper ever published agree those two are separate, the new one just says excelsus is "different enough" to be in its own genus. What would  be nice would be if companies stopped pretending genus=species, then we might already have figures of both Apatosaurus louisae and Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus excelsus, which do and always have looked different.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

John

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 30, 2015, 08:34:04 PM
Quote from: John on May 30, 2015, 08:31:44 PM

Every paper ever published agree those two are separate, the new one just says excelsus is "different enough" to be in its own genus. What would  be nice would be if companies stopped pretending genus=species, then we might already have figures of both Apatosaurus louisae and Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus excelsus, which do and always have looked different.
Actually,I meant the genus,as in is it Apatosaurus excelsus or Brontosaurus excelsus.I just posted without actually making that clear...
And as far as toy companies go,in addition to the point you make,it would also be nice if "what the public expects dinosaurs to look like" didn't trump any attempts at scientific accuracy...*cough Papo cough* :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

Quote from: John on May 30, 2015, 08:45:38 PM
And as far as toy companies go,in addition to the point you make,it would also be nice if "what the public expects dinosaurs to look like" didn't trump any attempts at scientific accuracy...*cough Papo cough* :)
I agree.  I find it extremely sad and boring that there are people which restore prehistoric animals as "what the public expects them to look like".  This approach misinforms and misleads people of all ages and it doesn't encourage people to learn new things.  The real animals are always more interesting than versions of them deliberately altered to what a person wants them to look like, anyway.  I decided not to say anything in the thread about the interview with Papo's sculptor but this is how I feel about it, and why I probably won't ever be interested in anything Papo makes.  I think Rebor, Schleich and JP/JW are also using this approach but I've also noticed quite a few new members on this forum who have posted about their products which also have this approach.  It's so disappointing!  And not even the Jurassic Park franchise calls their pterosaurs "pterodactyls"!  It seems nonsensical to deliberately copy the mistakes of others, but this is exactly what's happening when inaccuracies in prehistoric animal reconstructions are deliberately copied (in most cases copying JP)!

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on May 30, 2015, 09:52:37 PM
I agree.  I find it extremely sad and boring that there are people which restore prehistoric animals as "what the public expects them to look like".  This approach misinforms and misleads people of all ages and it doesn't encourage people to learn new things.  The real animals are always more interesting than versions of them deliberately altered to what a person wants them to look like, anyway.  I decided not to say anything in the thread about the interview with Papo's sculptor but this is how I feel about it, and why I probably won't ever be interested in anything Papo makes.  I think Rebor, Schleich and JP/JW are also using this approach but I've also noticed quite a few new members on this forum who have posted about their products which also have this approach.  It's so disappointing!  And not even the Jurassic Park franchise calls their pterosaurs "pterodactyls"!  It seems nonsensical to deliberately copy the mistakes of others, but this is exactly what's happening when inaccuracies in prehistoric animal reconstructions are deliberately copied (in most cases copying JP)!

I third this sentiment. I enjoy Papo models because they're so beautifully sculpted and have a real attitude about them, but I'm pretty selective about which ones I buy. I've passed on the Velociraptor, the Oviraptor, the Spinosaurus, the Brachiosaurus, and the sea monsters because their inaccuracies are too much for me to look past. And I'm utterly uninterested in anything REBOR has to offer. To me, REBOR is just Papo with a much bigger price tag.

CollectA, by contrast, is my favourite line because they're so willing and eager to keep up on the latest discoveries and theories. The upcoming Feathered T. rex and the three Spinosaurus figures may not be 100% supported by science just yet, but they're so unusual and wonderful and new and refreshing. I'd rather my dinosaur figures be taking too many steps forward than too many steps back.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on May 30, 2015, 10:00:45 PM

I third this sentiment. I enjoy Papo models because they're so beautifully sculpted and have a real attitude about them, but I'm pretty selective about which ones I buy. I've passed on the Velociraptor, the Oviraptor, the Spinosaurus, the Brachiosaurus, and the sea monsters because their inaccuracies are too much for me to look past. And I'm utterly uninterested in anything REBOR has to offer. To me, REBOR is just Papo with a much bigger price tag.

CollectA, by contrast, is my favourite line because they're so willing and eager to keep up on the latest discoveries and theories. The upcoming Feathered T. rex and the three Spinosaurus figures may not be 100% supported by science just yet, but they're so unusual and wonderful and new and refreshing. I'd rather my dinosaur figures be taking too many steps forward than too many steps back.

I agree with you suspsy Collecta Dinosaurs are doing quantitative and qualitative pesazr of their inaccuracies that any toy can not save progress.
Moreover their treatment of staff and company executives Collecta are to take positive note, they are friendly and always attentive to the client, taking into account that have tens of thousands of them scattered throughout the world.

You forgot Safari is also a very great company.

As regards Papo figures there are well finished and some not even have many own motion picture inaccuracies.

Moreover Rebor is still new on the scene, and although in the past have disrespected and I know members of the forum should give them a chance.

suspsy

Oh yes, Safari is fantastic as well, but certain of their models tend to be more conservative than CollectA's. Doug Watson has stated in the past that he wouldn't put feathers on T. Rex or any other theropod unless it was backed up by fossil evidence. And I respect that philosophy.

tanystropheus

I agree.  I find it extremely sad and boring that there are people which restore prehistoric animals as "what the public expects them to look like".  This approach misinforms and misleads people of all ages and it doesn't encourage people to learn new things.  The real animals are always more interesting than versions of them deliberately altered to what a person wants them to look like, anyway.  I decided not to say anything in the thread about the interview with Papo's sculptor but this is how I feel about it, and why I probably won't ever be interested in anything Papo makes.

I guess it may be a matter of principle for you, but even when you consider the artistic liberties (coupled with 'what the public expects...' and scientific deliberations), Papo products still end up being more accurate than 85% of all mass market toy lines. Consider the Tupuxuara, it is quite accurate barring pycnofibers (also missing in the high-end Sideshow interpretation). The Papo Apatosaurus was recently reviewed at dinotoyblog, and the verdict seems to suggest that it is reasonably accurate. Regarding the 2016 release of the Papo Baronyx , is it even possible to make an inaccurate representation considering that there are currently a lack of pop-cultural references of the Baronyx?

The vast majority of collectors that refuse to touch Papo products due to issues concerning accuracies, spend countless hours on ebay hunting down all manners of retro dinosaurs and playmobil dinosaurs, despite their philosophical purist position regarding scientific accuracies. 90% of the products they collect are incidentally less accurate than Papo and Rebor. I would imagine that there is an element of cognitive dissonance that appears to be somewhat entrenched.

John

Yes,I have to give credit to CollectA where it's due.They certainly aren't afraid of going completely against the grain when it comes to reconstructions,even when it concerns something as famous as Tyrannosaurus rex.
I can say they may not always be taking a few too many steps forward,for instance there is still a good chance that Spinosaurus aegyptiacus actually did have the odd body proportions shown in the newest reconstructions,internet rage against it or not! After all,weird dinosaurs are not out of the question.Just look at Yi qi:)

tanystropheus

If CollectA can get the proportions of the skull correct (with respect to ceratopsians and theropods) and finesse the paint apps, I would gladly consider them as a possible favorite line. Also, it would be nice if CollectA made some deluxe sauropods.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 30, 2015, 11:03:27 PM
Regarding the 2016 release of the Papo Baronyx , is it even possible to make an inaccurate representation considering that there is currently a lack of pop-cultural references of the Baronyx?
Unfortunately it's possible.  Looking at Baryonyx toys, the Carnegie and first JP ones have a head that's too short, the second JP one looks like a terrible Baryonyx/Ceratosaurus hybrid: http://dinotoyblog.com/2012/03/12/baryonyx-jurassic-park-the-lost-world-by-hasbro/, the Toyway one's head is nothing like a Baryonyx's head(!), and the Schleich one is so inaccurate it's laughable.  As for Baryonyx in pop culture, would Rudy the Baryonyx be an example of this?

I really like Baryonyx, it's really cool and interesting (and it's from the UK too, like me), I'd really like to see a great up-to-date figure of it!  If Papo's is, then I will probably buy it.  I'm open to the possibility of wanting something from Papo in the future, I just think it's unlikely as I'm put off by the frequent and often apparently deliberate inaccuracies in their prehistoric figures, and their tendancy to be more like fictional creatures than real animals.  It's also one thing to be inspired by art and another to basically copy it without permission, Papo seems to have done the latter for many of their prehistoric figures.  This too I don't like.  If Papo's Baryonyx doesn't suffer from any of these things and I like how it looks, I'll buy it! :)

The vast majority of collectors that refuse to touch Papo products due to issues concerning accuracies, spend countless hours on ebay hunting down all manners of retro dinosaurs and playmobil dinosaurs, despite their philosophical purist position regarding scientific accuracies. 90% of the products they collect are incidentally less accurate than Papo and Rebor. I would imagine that there is an element of cognitive dissonance that appears to be somewhat entrenched.
Hehe, how do you know these quite specific details about other people?  I hope you're not thinking I'm like you described, because I'm not.  I'm not interested in getting any Playmobil figures, and I'm not going to go hunting on ebay for retro figures - that's not what I'm like at all! :))  Not that there's anything wrong with "hunting down all manners of retro dinosaurs and playmobil dinosaurs" though.  I think how individual people feel and what they like and dislike isn't as simple as what you're suggesting.

ITdactyl

I still want a big version of that apatosaurus... even with Collecta's flag-like color scheme. 

I wonder how big what size these "minis" will be though, and if I'll be able to use some of them as 1/72 figures.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on May 31, 2015, 01:25:22 AM
Regarding the 2016 release of the Papo Baronyx , is it even possible to make an inaccurate representation considering that there is currently a lack of pop-cultural references of the Baronyx?
Unfortunately it's possible.  Looking at Baryonyx toys, the Carnegie and first JP ones have a head that's too short, the second JP one looks like a terrible Baryonyx/Ceratosaurus hybrid: http://dinotoyblog.com/2012/03/12/baryonyx-jurassic-park-the-lost-world-by-hasbro/, the Toyway one's head is nothing like a Baryonyx's head(!), and the Schleich one is so inaccurate it's laughable.  As for Baryonyx in pop culture, would Rudy the Baryonyx be an example of this?

I really like Baryonyx, it's really cool and interesting (and it's from the UK too, like me), I'd really like to see a great up-to-date figure of it!  If Papo's is, then I will probably buy it.  I'm open to the possibility of wanting something from Papo in the future, I just think it's unlikely as I'm put off by the frequent and often apparently deliberate inaccuracies in their prehistoric figures, and their tendancy to be more like fictional creatures than real animals.  It's also one thing to be inspired by art and another to basically copy it without permission, Papo seems to have done the latter for many of their prehistoric figures.  This too I don't like.  If Papo's Baryonyx doesn't suffer from any of these things and I like how it looks, I'll buy it! :)

Hehe, how do you know these quite specific details about other people?  I hope you're not thinking I'm like you described, because I'm not.  I'm not interested in getting any Playmobil figures, and I'm not going to go hunting on ebay for retro figures - that's not what I'm like at all! :))  Not that there's anything wrong with "hunting down all manners of retro dinosaurs and playmobil dinosaurs" though.  I think how individual people feel and what they like and dislike isn't as simple as what you're suggesting.

Haha, you make a valid point. I don't believe that you've demonstrated compartmentalized or black and white thinking.
Glad to know that you are also looking forward to the Baronyx! I completely forgot about Rudy  :))
Assuming JW doesn't cause too much damage, I anticipate that Papo will be moving away from film references.
The sculptor, Mr. Seo, seems to be inspired by naturalistic depictions, and he stated in the interview that he agonizes over the compromises that he has to make. He also attempts to make dinosaurs using the skeletal reconstructions as a basis but it's unfortunate that Papo also takes into consideration the overall public perception.  Based on the interview, it seems that the sculptor scrutinized the similarities/differences of the Giga (with respect to the T-rex) before having it submitted for approval. As far as Papo's future products are concerned, I'm hoping that their obscure species will appear (reasonably) accurate due to a lack of pop cultural references.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: John on May 30, 2015, 11:07:29 PM

Yes,I have to give credit to CollectA where it's due.They certainly aren't afraid of going completely against the grain when it comes to reconstructions,even when it concerns something as famous as Tyrannosaurus rex.
I can say they may not always be taking a few too many steps forward,for instance there is still a good chance that Spinosaurus aegyptiacus actually did have the odd body proportions shown in the newest reconstructions,internet rage against it or not! After all,weird dinosaurs are not out of the question.Just look at Yi qi:)

Speaking of odd proportions, Ibrahim just announced the discovery of more bones at the fossil site. Coincidentally, Serano recently posted a pic on Facebook of himself holding a huge femur with the femoral head at something like a 110 degree angle to the shaft!! I think we might have our first sprawling theropod...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Where is this photo? Do you have a link?

MiniZoo

Quick hello.. Guidraco, Acrocanthosaurus, Temnodontosaurus, Smilodon & Daeodon are now available through MiniZoo
http://www.minizoo.com.au/categories/Collecta/Prehistoric/

Feathered Trex is due early July and Spinosaurus (three versions) are due August.

$USD is killing $AUD right now so it may be worth checking our prices even with shipping from Down Under!

Not on this topic but REBOR Yutyrannus also now back in stock.

John

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 04, 2015, 01:18:18 PM
Speaking of odd proportions, Ibrahim just announced the discovery of more bones at the fossil site. Coincidentally, Serano recently posted a pic on Facebook of himself holding a huge femur with the femoral head at something like a 110 degree angle to the shaft!! I think we might have our first sprawling theropod...
That's interesting to know.Thanks for the information!  :))

Quote from: MiniZoo on June 11, 2015, 08:35:14 AM
Quick hello.. Guidraco, Acrocanthosaurus, Temnodontosaurus, Smilodon & Daeodon are now available through MiniZoo
http://www.minizoo.com.au/categories/Collecta/Prehistoric/

Feathered Trex is due early July and Spinosaurus (three versions) are due August.

$USD is killing $AUD right now so it may be worth checking our prices even with shipping from Down Under!

Not on this topic but REBOR Yutyrannus also now back in stock.

Thanks for letting us know.I just had to get the birthing Temnodontosaurus platyodon. ;D
It also looks like the Moropus is out now too. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: