News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, October 25, 2014, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Tyrantqueen mentioned in another thread that, according to Prehistoric Times #111, Gregory Wenzel is out of the paleoart business. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

terrorchicken

I think they should release the remaining figures including any new ones Dan was able to complete and then end the line. Then start a new line if they want. Im just worried they will do the opposite of Collecta, hire a less skilled (cheaper)artist and switch from scientifically accurate as possible dinosaurs to chinasaur like monsters.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 19, 2015, 08:57:11 PM
I think they should release the remaining figures including any new ones Dan was able to complete and then end the line. Then start a new line if they want. Im just worried they will do the opposite of Collecta, hire a less skilled (cheaper)artist and switch from scientifically accurate as possible dinosaurs to chinasaur like monsters.
Unless they hired Gregory Wenzel again to sculpt (the chances of which are almost nil) then the new artist would be compared to Dan LoRusso. Those will be hard shoes to fill.

They must choose wisely.

Paleogene Pals

I agree with TQ, the next person is almost always compared to the previous. I've seen it in one of my favorite bands. Of course, Dan really can never be truly replaced. He was one of a kind. RIP

docronnie

So sad to hear about Dan's passing on FB.  Thanks for all your beautiful creations and for your insights here on DTF. We will miss exchanging views and ideas with you. RIP Dan....
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Victoria's Cantina

Do we know if everything he showed in the Battat repaint thread was finalized? It would seem that if so, they should be able to release at least those as well as anything new he did that we might not have yet seen.

Still bummed about his passing. He helped get the word out about my review of the repaint T-Rex. I'd love to at least get whatever he was able to complete for Terra/Battat.

suspsy

They certainly looked finalized. As long as Battat has those prototypes, they can manufacture the toys.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

It may seem a little soon to bring this up, but with Dan's passing, I know a lot of us are worried that the line will degrade into a bunch of half-baked chinasaurs once the current stock is run through: are there any other professional-grade sculptors on the forum not currently officially employed that might be interested in contacting Battat to apply for the job?

Daspletodave

Quote from: Victoria B on September 20, 2015, 08:09:36 AM

Do we know if everything he showed in the Battat repaint thread was finalized? It would seem that if so, they should be able to release at least those as well as anything new he did that we might not have yet seen.

Still bummed about his passing. He helped get the word out about my review of the repaint T-Rex. I'd love to at least get whatever he was able to complete for Terra/Battat.
Dan did a new paint scheme for all of the MOS dinos except the Utahraptor and Gallimimus. He was still waiting to see if Battat would allow him to feather those sculpts.
If I was Battat I would re-issue all the MOS line, including the Utahraptor and Gallimimus. But obviously those scuplts (like the Stegosaurus) would be unchanged.

amargasaurus cazaui

There may be a potential issue with that idea, if you think about it. The series to date has been stated as the Lorusso collection,and he did not sculpt either the Utahraptor or Gallimimus. With the other figures from the series, you could argue that wether he sculpted them or not, they were all painted by him, making them part of the line. I am not so sure you could make that same argument for those two figures if they remain painted as they were before.They would likely need repainted but even then Dan is not able to do them now, so they would hardly be .....part of the Lorusso collection. I would assume Battat still owns the rights to them, and could repaint them, but not sure they would fit in the Lorusso series is all.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: Daspletodave on September 20, 2015, 05:57:32 PM
Dan did a new paint scheme for all of the MOS dinos except the Utahraptor and Gallimimus. He was still waiting to see if Battat would allow him to feather those sculpts.
If I was Battat I would re-issue all the MOS line, including the Utahraptor and Gallimimus. But obviously those scuplts (like the Stegosaurus) would be unchanged.

Some time ago, Dan said Battat told him not to retool the Utahraptor and Gallimimus for the time being.  This is the last thing he told us Battat decided on for the Utahraptor and Gallimimus.  This was some time ago, so I wonder if Dan ended up repainting the Utahraptor and Gallimimus in the end?

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's a thread for the future of the Battat dinosaur line: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3857.0

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 20, 2015, 03:10:05 PM
It may seem a little soon to bring this up, but with Dan's passing, I know a lot of us are worried that the line will degrade into a bunch of half-baked chinasaurs once the current stock is run through: are there any other professional-grade sculptors on the forum not currently officially employed that might be interested in contacting Battat to apply for the job?
Imagine Shane Foulkes or David Krentz sculpting for the line....it'll never happen, but a girl can dream 8)

amargasaurus cazaui

I think Battats history speaks for itself, they are not a company known for choosing weak or   untalented artists.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Has Battat released a statement about Dan's passing?

Quote from: Sim on September 20, 2015, 10:01:02 PM
Some time ago, Dan said Battat told him not to retool the Utahraptor and Gallimimus for the time being.  This is the last thing he told us Battat decided on for the Utahraptor and Gallimimus.  This was some time ago, so I wonder if Dan ended up repainting the Utahraptor and Gallimimus in the end?

I remember that post: that's what I assumed as well. If he did, presumably he just never got around to posting pics. He always did seem to have trouble uploading stuff.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 21, 2015, 01:27:18 AM
I think Battats history speaks for itself, they are not a company known for choosing weak or   untalented artists.

Except for the modern mammals they sell on the same shelf.  :P

Pawnosuchus

I just heard about Dan. The world and the forum will certainly miss him.  RIP Dan.

Gwangi

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 21, 2015, 07:45:12 AM

I was going to point that out myself. The truth is, we don't know who is in charge of Battat currently or the dinosaur line in particular. Perhaps it is only by good fortune that Dan was still willing to sculpt for the line and without him they would have continued on with a sub-par artist? I too like to think that Battat wants to uphold the legacy of their MOS line but that line was a long time ago, we don't know who is calling the shots these days.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on September 21, 2015, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 21, 2015, 07:45:12 AM

I was going to point that out myself. The truth is, we don't know who is in charge of Battat currently or the dinosaur line in particular. Perhaps it is only by good fortune that Dan was still willing to sculpt for the line and without him they would have continued on with a sub-par artist? I too like to think that Battat wants to uphold the legacy of their MOS line but that line was a long time ago, we don't know who is calling the shots these days.
I felt from the things Dan said, that there was a dinosaur line because HE was willing to work with it and move forward. Otherwise I do not think the line would have happened at all.I remember his being so thankful that his old friend had approached him and asked him abut doing this...also somewhat a given the repaints would not likely have happened without his involvement.

DinoLord

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 21, 2015, 01:35:59 PMI felt from the things Dan said, that there was a dinosaur line because HE was willing to work with it and move forward. Otherwise I do not think the line would have happened at all.I remember his being so thankful that his old friend had approached him and asked him abut doing this...also somewhat a given the repaints would not likely have happened without his involvement.

I also got this impression. If this was the case, it's quite touching that even with all his personal struggles Dan was such a big advocate for us.

Quote from: DinoLord on September 21, 2015, 03:10:10 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 21, 2015, 01:35:59 PMI felt from the things Dan said, that there was a dinosaur line because HE was willing to work with it and move forward. Otherwise I do not think the line would have happened at all.I remember his being so thankful that his old friend had approached him and asked him abut doing this...also somewhat a given the repaints would not likely have happened without his involvement.

I also got this impression. If this was the case, it's quite touching that even with all his personal struggles Dan was such a big advocate for us.

I feel the same way. News of his passing throws a bit more light on the last year or so of his work and his interactions with us. I agree with whoever said that he maybe knew he wasn't going to pull through, and so was working as hard as he could through his difficulties to leave something good behind as a parting gift.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: