News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, October 25, 2014, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

Keep fighting the good fight and stay strong. Take care.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Meso-Cenozoic

So sorry to here about your setback, Dan. Keep up the positive attitude and concentrate on your health first.

deanm

Was wondering if Target is timing the  release of the new Battat (and repaints) with Jurassic world film release? Essentially piggy-backing on dinosaur interest being at a high point. Thoughts/comments?

Simon

Quote from: deanm on June 07, 2015, 07:18:39 PM
Was wondering if Target is timing the  release of the new Battat (and repaints) with Jurassic world film release? Essentially piggy-backing on dinosaur interest being at a high point. Thoughts/comments?

I think that would be giving them too much credit.  That is what they SHOULD be doing, but somehow I doubt that anyone there cares about the connection.  Battat/Terra is just a little drop in the bucket of their toy inventory I fear ...

Gwangi

Agreed, and they're already carrying JW toys so that will no doubt allow them to piggyback off the movie as is. That said, Barnes & Nobel now has Schleich dinosaurs displayed next to their Jurassic World display. No doubt increasing their dino merchandise for the movie.

suspsy

I'm actually travelling to Vermont next weekend. It would be nice to come across the Gigantoraptor at Target, but I'm not getting my hopes up. A shame Target had to completely botch its Canadian market.

Which other figures are going to be released this year? The Pentaceratops, the Gastonia, and the Europasaurus?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on June 08, 2015, 12:15:59 AM
I'm actually travelling to Vermont next weekend. It would be nice to come across the Gigantoraptor at Target, but I'm not getting my hopes up. A shame Target had to completely botch its Canadian market.

Which other figures are going to be released this year? The Pentaceratops, the Gastonia, and the Europasaurus?

I was in Target a week ago, nothing new in the Battat section. Maybe by the time the movie premiers that will change? Hopefully. I feel fairly certain we won't see them till autumn.

laticauda

Quote from: Gwangi on June 08, 2015, 02:45:59 AM

I was in Target a week ago, nothing new in the Battat section. Maybe by the time the movie premiers that will change? Hopefully. I feel fairly certain we won't see them till autumn.
The Battat section in all the Targets by me are placed at the end of the asile hidden on the inside, by the puzzles and games.  It doesn't look like they are trying to capitalize off of JW or have even thought it would be a good idea to market the two.  Meanwhile Barnes and Nobles is making a killing off of selling Schleich next to the JW stuff.  The Schleich toy has been flying off of their display stands.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: laticauda on June 08, 2015, 02:32:14 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 08, 2015, 02:45:59 AM

The Battat section in all the Targets by me are placed at the end of the asile hidden on the inside, by the puzzles and games.  It doesn't look like they are trying to capitalize off of JW or have even thought it would be a good idea to market the two.  Meanwhile Barnes and Nobles is making a killing off of selling Schleich next to the JW stuff.  The Schleich toy has been flying off of their display stands.
I had pointed this out previously but it seems to be lost in the shuffle. These dinosaurs are a Target exclusive. They place ALL exclusives on end caps..meaning the end shelf of aisles to feature them prominently. The extra thought to place them close to Jurassic world figures etc, just is not likely, given the strategy they use for Target exclusives.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

In case anybody on this thread is unaware, the first set of re-issues from the original line are out! Target seems to be trying to liquidate the current stock of 4 before putting them on the shelves, but look for Carnotaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Amargasaurus at your local stores in the coming weeks! See Blade-of-the-Moon's post here if you're the disbelieving type: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2529.340

You can apparently use this site to check availability at your local stores. http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker You just need to enter the UPC codes for each model:  the amarga is 062243290983, carno is 062243291317, cerato is 062243290907 . If you don't see them on the shelves, you should take those numbers into the store with you, and an employee should be able to check if they have them in the back.

Takama

FRont page is missing images

Europasaurus

Gastonia

Gigantoraptor

Majungasaurus

Nasutoceratops

Pentaceratops

Plateosaurus

Yutyrannus

joossa

Wow, if only the Gastonia had a more realistic paint job, I would be in love with it.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Takama

What? Bright colors dont do it for you?    I like to see it as a Warning to predators to stay away.

Paleona

Thanks for posting the pics!  That Nasutoceratops in particular looks really lovely to me.  But is it just me, or does the Pentaceratops' body look too small?  Maybe it's just because the frill is so large.  :D

I'm curious to see what the Yutyrannus looks like, too!

suspsy

Well, it's about time somebody fixed those images. As I've noted before, while the reissues are unquestionably great news, the release of these babies would be even greater news to me. I really like the Pentaceratops, the Europasaurus, and the Gigantoraptor (despite my initial misgivings about it). And I'm very eager to see what the remaining three unrevealed toys look like.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Thanks for posting those pictures Takama!  That bigger picture of the Europasaurus shows the details much better than the previous smaller picture I'd seen.

For a while now I've seen some people say the colour schemes for the Battat Terra dinosaurs don't look realistic or natural (/realistic or natural enough) both in this thread and the Battat re-issue thread.  But what is a "realistic" or "natural" colour scheme?  That's not to say I think all colour schemes look natural/realistic - I do think some can be unconvincing, however I don't think the colour schemes of the Terra dinosaurs aren't realistic or natural looking.  I'd like to point out the following are all real animals:

Halichoeres

We live in a world where most of the big animals only see two colors, so yeah, who knows what colors might have shown up in a lineage that saw at least three or maybe four? I would be very surprised, for example, to go to what is now Colorado in the late Jurassic and see seven different kinds of gray sauropod.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Yep, good points Halichoeres!  I find the Battat Terra dinosaurs' colour schemes really interesting. Out of all the prehistoric animal toy lines, the only one where I've really liked almost all of the colour schemes has been the Battat Terra dinosaurs (new sculpts/reissues).

Out of the ones in the photos Takama posted, the one I currently like most is the Gastonia.  It looks really good!

Quote from: Paleona on August 02, 2015, 02:23:42 PM
But is it just me, or does the Pentaceratops' body look too small?  Maybe it's just because the frill is so large.  :D
I think that really is how Pentaceratops is, it has a REALLY big head!  It's a really cool looking animal!  It was asked about before too:
Quote from: loru1588 on December 04, 2014, 12:19:18 AM
Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 03, 2014, 02:11:48 PM
I originally did not like the Penta. I knew the frill was large, but not that large! I did some quick research and the estimates of the skull is usually about half of the body. Nice sculpt!

Yeah, it looked weird as I was sculpting it, but I kept measuring the photos I had of the skeletal mounts as well as the skeletal portraits I used as reference. HUGE head!!!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I think the color is actually what sold me on the Gastonia! It's always nice to have an accurately sculpted dinosaur that's not the same shade of green as half the models I own!

Seriously, in just the Carnegie line, the classic Tyrannosaurus, the classic Allosaurus, the repainted Stegosaurus, the Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Amargasaurus, Euplocephalus, AND Ankylosaurus all have a remarkably similar green paint job, and that's not even touching the Wild Safari line, though they've done a little better in varying they're colors.

EDIT: Oh, and the Carnegie Parasaurolophus and Corythosaurus as well, although the Corythosaurus is so beautifully patterned that I don't really count it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: