News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How old is everyone here?

Started by Raptoress, November 28, 2014, 06:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanm

:) So far I'm winning or losing (at least until Stoneage chips in).   :)

I still remember having to dodge the smilodons on my way to high school.

As for my Kindergarten years - those Cambrian seas were nice and warm but the beach sucked!

I'm well North of 40!

tyrantqueen

Why do people keep making mention of the fact that they have lived longer than other members (or in some cases been collecting longer than some people have been in existence), like it's an achievement or something? It doesn't make you superior you know. People can't exactly control when they were born. Sorry, not trying to start an argument, but I don't really get it :-\

I'd like to think it's the quality of those years, not the quantity >:D

Arul

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 29, 2014, 05:03:40 AM
People can't exactly control when they were born. Sorry, not trying to start an argument, but I don't really get it :-\

Yeah we are just came out, like a potato 

SpittersForEver

Quote from: alexeratops on November 28, 2014, 11:49:58 PM
Quote from: SpittersForEver on November 28, 2014, 09:17:00 PM
I'm 11, 12 in January  :)

Wow, another 5th/ 6th grader 11 year old! I'm not alone!

So yes, I'm 11. ^-^ 12 next August.

6th grader? What does that mean? Is it American? In England I'm a first year in secondary school (Hampton) so are they the same or something?

Concavenator

Quote from: SpittersForEver on November 29, 2014, 10:10:16 AM

6th grader? What does that mean? Is it American? In England I'm a first year in secondary school (Hampton) so are they the same or something?
When I was 11,I was in 6th grade of Primary.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Concavenator on November 29, 2014, 10:13:33 AM

Oh so 5th grade is like Year 6 of Primary schools?
Anyway I think we are going off topic a bit.

Concavenator

Quote from: SpittersForEver on November 29, 2014, 10:44:19 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on November 29, 2014, 10:13:33 AM

Oh so 5th grade is like Year 6 of Primary schools?
Anyway I think we are going off topic a bit.
I don't know,I live in Spain.I don't know the US system.

deanm

;)  becuase when you have lived this long you have earned the right too...   ;)

Actually my collection duration is similiar to a lot of the other members here - age does not equal the number of years you have been collecting something (there are exceptions of course like Stoneage).

Myself, I like the fact that we have such a diverse group of members  - whether it be age, geography, knowledge, interests, etc. as it makes for a good forum.

Why do people keep making mention of the fact that they have lived longer than other members (or in some cases been collecting longer than some people have been in existence), like it's an achievement or something? It doesn't make you superior you know. People can't exactly control when they were born. Sorry, not trying to start an argument, but I don't really get it :-\

Doug Watson

I think you are referring to me in my discussion with Foxilized. The reason I raised my age and the length of time I had been fanatical about dinosaurs in my JP discussion was the person I was debating was claiming geek status and therefore in the know and insinuating that somehow I wasn't a dinosaur geek. I was just pointing out that I had been into dinosaurs a very, very long time long before being called a geek meant what it does today. I wasn't claiming superiority in fact he was. Any other time I have raised my age it has usually been in reference to the types of dinosaurs toys that are in my collection i.e. 40s, 50s, 60s etc and I didn't think that meant I was claiming superiority. If you got that sense I apologize that was not my intent. If you notice here in my post on this subject I didn't even state my age I only hinted at the extent of it.

SBell

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 29, 2014, 01:08:07 PM

I think you are referring to me in my discussion with Foxilized. The reason I raised my age and the length of time I had been fanatical about dinosaurs in my JP discussion was the person I was debating was claiming geek status and therefore in the know and insinuating that somehow I wasn't a dinosaur geek. I was just pointing out that I had been into dinosaurs a very, very long time long before being called a geek meant what it does today. I wasn't claiming superiority in fact he was. Any other time I have raised my age it has usually been in reference to the types of dinosaurs toys that are in my collection i.e. 40s, 50s, 60s etc and I didn't think that meant I was claiming superiority. If you got that sense I apologize that was not my intent. If you notice here in my post on this subject I didn't even state my age I only hinted at the extent of it.

Agreed--it was more self-amusement that I have models that I've owned longer than some people have been alive. Which just feels weird.

On the other hand, who has actually said they feel like they are somehow inferior because others are younger or have collected for less time (the opposite of claiming others feel superior)? This thread asks how old people are--therefore, some people are younger or older than others.

tyrantqueen

I do believe it is. When I was at school, we started from Year 1 (primary), and finished school at 16, which was Year 11 by then (secondary school).

The American equivalent to primary and secondary schools are elementary and high, respectively.

Doug Watson

Quote from: SBell on November 29, 2014, 02:39:20 PM
Agreed--it was more self-amusement that I have models that I've owned longer than some people have been alive. Which just feels weird.

On the other hand, who has actually said they feel like they are somehow inferior because others are younger or have collected for less time (the opposite of claiming others feel superior)? This thread asks how old people are--therefore, some people are younger or older than others.

That's right SBell I forgot you made a similar statement here on this thread. I actually still have two dino toys from my youth a Marx slender T rex and a Marx brontosaurus that were bought new for me in 1962 so I probably have toys that I have owned since new that are older than the parents of some of the members here. Does that make me feel superior? No just old. Notice I still haven't divulged my age. I will say Stoneage and paleoferroequine still have me beat. And TQ where superiority of knowledge of dinosaur toys post Battat are concerned I know you and all of the other younglings here have me beat by a mile. I know nothing about Toyway, Hasbro, Dino riders etc. That is one of the reasons I keep coming back I learn something new everyday.

John

I'm old enough to remember than when you think of a nerd,you thought of taped glasses,highwater pants that almost came up to your knees,shirt buttoned up all the way to your neck,suspenders and a pocket protector. :)
Stop making so much noise!It's 6:30 P.M.!!!Some of us are trying to get some sleep!!!
Get off my lawn!!!
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Doug Watson

I remember grade 6, it was the best three years of my life.

stargatedalek

in Canada we have three levels of school, elementary, junior high, and high
the length of each varies by region, in Halifax municipality we have 6 years of elementary (kindergarten - 5), 3 years of junior high (6 - 8 ), and 4 years of high (9 - 12)
but only a few miles away in Annapolis Valley they have an entirely different system, so its highly variable

tyrantqueen

QuoteStop making so much noise!It's 6:30 P.M.!!!Some of us are trying to get some sleep!!!
Get off my lawn!!!
My parents were always like that, even when I was a child. They had me late (my dad was 39 when I was born, I think...)

But it's not so bad. Having old fogies for parents isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are some things from older generations that I do appreciate.

Gwangi

I realize I'm only 30, but some of the effects of age have taken hold. Like nostalgia, not too long ago I was too young to feel it because I was not old enough for it to properly apply! I don't think it will ever go away now that it has hit me, and I'll be like the rest of the "old timers" and think "OMG, my pet turtle is older than some of our members, older than some of the people I associate with on a daily basis" and stating it here is just a way of reflecting back at these things that until recently you never considered much. It's such a mind job! So I get the whole "my collection is older than so-and-so" thing. It's a way of stepping back and just going...wow, I've made it pretty far. I used to be the youngest person around, now I'm the same age as my boss, with managers even younger than myself. It's a weird feeling. I mean hell, "Jurassic Park" is 22 years old! I really don't feel like it was THAT long ago that I saw it, sitting wide eyed in the movie theater.

My turtle is 22 years old BTW, probably older since he was near fully grown when I got him.

Manatee

stargatedalek

that's cool, I wish I knew how old my turtles were, they were fully grown when I got them so theoretically they could be anywhere from 14-30 years old

sorry for getting a bit off topic ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 29, 2014, 07:58:50 PM
I remember grade 6, it was the best three years of my life.

That was a joke by the way, I am in Canada as well, it is supposed to take one year per grade if you pass. I thought I might get a laughing smiley face at least for that attempt  :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: