News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 17, 2014, 07:08:00 PM
Do you use natural or synthetic brushes? For me at least, it became a lot easier when I started using natural sable hairs. They hold a point better than any synthetic I've tried. Just wondering :)

I've used many different types of brushes, still learning. But, the brushes I've come to like the most are synthetic (Taklon) for acrylics, the brand is Mont Marte. I'm just accustomed to using brushes, now. Airbrushing seemed like the way to go, but I'm slack for learning something new, plus it seems expensive. As it is I spend $50 at a time on Tamiya paints. I usually put a first coat of some dark colour first, then I use Blending, dry brushing and dark washes. Because I'm not great at patterns and details, mashing the colours together works best for me. What techniques do you use?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Great collection! and no one is laughing at your paint jobs I see a real progression from your early kits to the ones you are doing now. I love some of those paint schemes.

laticauda

All I can say is amazing collection.  Your paint work is good, remember, you are typically your own worst critic. 

triceratops83

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 17, 2014, 09:00:08 PM
Great collection! and no one is laughing at your paint jobs I see a real progression from your early kits to the ones you are doing now. I love some of those paint schemes.

Thanks Doug! That is a real compliment from an absolute master! Most of them (start out at least) are inspired by modern day animals, typically iguanas. The predominantly brown ones arose from an excess in brown paint. And the Pegasus kits were copied from Luis V Rey.

Quote from: laticauda on December 17, 2014, 10:56:38 PM
you are typically your own worst critic. 
Yeah, sometimes I boo myself off the stage!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Crackington

Agree with everyone, what an amazing collection, great photos and unique tattoo!

Regarding your vintage model kits picture, the trike marked "Revell?"will probably be that model. This is a re-issue of the 1970s Aurora Prehistoric Scenes model. The trike marked "Aurora" is from around 2000 and was made by Polar Lights (I think). They used the name Aurora but aren't anything to do with the original Prehistoric Scenes models. They also made a T-Rex and a Pteranodon, but the Trike was the best of these, so good taste again!

triceratops83

Quote from: Crackington on December 20, 2014, 03:05:18 PM
Agree with everyone, what an amazing collection, great photos and unique tattoo!

Regarding your vintage model kits picture, the trike marked "Revell?"will probably be that model. This is a re-issue of the 1970s Aurora Prehistoric Scenes model. The trike marked "Aurora" is from around 2000 and was made by Polar Lights (I think). They used the name Aurora but aren't anything to do with the original Prehistoric Scenes models. They also made a T-Rex and a Pteranodon, but the Trike was the best of these, so good taste again!

Yeah, I can't keep track of what these old kits are called. Each one on Ebay has about three different brands. Airfix is Pyro, Lindberg is something else etc. As for the tattoo, I've got three dinosaur related ones. I doubt I'm the only one - we should do a thread if anyone else is inked up.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think your ink is awesome, if I ever had the guts I'd do an Allosaurus skull.

Paleogene Pals

Nice Trike skull tat!  When you collect like we do, we have to operate on buy now and pay later! Apparently, my credit card companies agree.

triceratops83

C'mon Blade, Allosaurus has a skull made for tattoos. And thanks Paleogene Pals, I'm most proud of the tats I designed myself.
I can't take credit for this one - I pulled the original drawing off a Google image search (a few of my tats have come about that way) years back, so it probably comes from something like Deviantart.

Aside from Ceratopsians I have a few Hadrosaurs. Can't resist, beautiful animals. As I find them I'll post images.
Safari Edmontosaurus (annoyed at camera)

Safari Gryposaurus (curious about camera)

Carnegie Corythosaurus (indifferent to camera)

You've all seen these before, so I'll try and make the photos interesting at least. I am EAGERLY awaiting the return of the Battat Hadrosaurs.

Paleogene Pals

That is a pretty sweet tattoo of King Kong versus T-rex or whatever they are calling it these days.

triceratops83

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on December 21, 2014, 03:22:15 PM
That is a pretty sweet tattoo of King Kong versus T-rex or whatever they are calling it these days.

Definitely T rex. There is only one Kong - 1933. 8)

docronnie

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM
All right, I'll do this in chunks. Figures first.

The Kabaya in question, is a Furuta Triceratops.

Your Triceratop collection, based on the photos, seems to be the largest so far here at DTF. Congratulations! :D

I too, was surprised to see that the Bandai Trike was released without its baby.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Gwangi

Great tattoos, both of them. And I agree, Allosaurus has a great skull to model a tattoo after. It's high on the list for me as a potential tattoo. I suppose it helps that it is one of my favorite dinosaurs too.

triceratops83

Thanks docronnie, I was having a hard time remembering correctly those minifigures.
With a name like Gwangi, I can see why Allosaurus would be a favourite!
Here's my last dino tat. I copied the head from a photo of the Jurassic Park Raptor, then drew the rest myself.

Arul

triceratops83

Just got an Xmas present from my good friends (Thanks Tim & Sarah!) The Neca Godzilla in his 1994 incarnation. In my opinion, the Heisei series were the best Godzilla films. Very Cool!

triceratops83

Here's the rest of my Hadrosaurs.
Bullyland Lambeosaurus, their best figure, and the overweight but nice Collecta Parasaurolphus.

Collecta Hypsilophodon & Pachycephalosaurus with the Schleich Parasaurolophus.

Got a Carnegie Maiasaura before it gets retired. Looks derpy in photos but quite nice in person.

Just received this, wonderful book. Deserves a review.

That's about everything, just waiting on more stuff to arrive in the mail.

tyrantqueen

How is the hadrosaur book? Isn't it a bit on the technical side? :)

triceratops83

Yeah, but extensively illustrated, lots of photos and diagrams. Not as "dry" as similar books, it is set out into nice sections. Normally I wouldn't read a book like this all the way through, just bits and pieces as they interest me, but I can see myself getting through this. When I get done I'll try and post a review for anyone thinking about getting it since it is pretty expensive, but yeah, a really well done book from what I've seen so far.

Lusotitan

Do you have the old tiny safari Triceratops? From the six pack of Stegosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Brontosaurus, Triceratops, Brachiosaurus, and Parasaurolophus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: