News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

The springbok coloration worked really well. Where might I find a Tamiya Para?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Manatee on February 01, 2015, 03:43:41 PM
The springbok coloration worked really well. Where might I find a Tamiya Para?
The easiest place is eBay, but I do know a lot of online modelling stores also carry them. Tamiya is a pretty ubiquitous hobby brand.

triceratops83

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I've used reptiles as colour references for the most part, but wanted to do something different and Ornithopods seem suited to mammalian colour schemes. Manatee, Tyrantqueen's right - Tamiya kits aren't hard to find, BUT, shop around. The prices vary greatly. You shouldn't need to spend a fortune. I grabbed this Para for about $13.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

Collecta 2015 Nasutoceratops and Medusaceratops.

Carnegie Iguanodon. I had a different one when I was a kid, with white spots.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice score!  I still like that Iguanodon...and it does have a few variations.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2015, 05:50:35 AM
Nice score!  I still like that Iguanodon...and it does have a few variations.

Thanks! Despite its' posture I still can't think of a better Iguanodon. WWD maybe, but try getting a hold of that.

sauroid

cool pics. this is becoming one of my fave collection threads.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

Quote from: sauroid on February 04, 2015, 02:11:24 PM

Thanks a lot! ;D I'm just glad to be able to show off my collection, it's taken a lot of time and money to have grown to what it is in just four years, and I'm kinda proud of it. Actually had to buy a couple of wall mounted shelves today - the collection is out growing its' home!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Don't they all? lol  My dinosaur collection has been on a warpath of expansion shoving all other aspects of collecting out for years..they fill almost every spot here now.

It's not a toy but the Dinostoreus Iguanodon is nice.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2015, 05:17:08 PM
Don't they all? lol  My dinosaur collection has been on a warpath of expansion shoving all other aspects of collecting out for years..they fill almost every spot here now.

I don't have much more room, which is why I avoid buying a lot of dinosaur figures. I'd be doomed if I started collecting Stegosaurs. I've allowed myself to go for Hadrosaurs because there just aren't that many of them. The Triceratops collection covers four bookcases and spans a whole wall of my bedroom. The other Ceratopsians have until recently occupied one shelf amongst the Triceratops but are now overflowing, and the way things are going I doubt that will slow down. People who know me find this hobby perplexing, since I have always been somewhat uh, minimalist and disinterested in things that Take Up Space, normally my bedroom would echo. But I can't think of any other thing I'd rather be surrounded in than members of Cerapoda ;)

Concavenator

Quote from: sauroid on February 04, 2015, 02:11:24 PM
Me too.Thanks for the pucs,triceratops83,of the new CollectA ceratopsians!They're stunning!

triceratops83

Quote from: Concavenator on February 05, 2015, 03:24:55 PM
Me too.Thanks for the pucs,triceratops83,of the new CollectA ceratopsians!They're stunning!

Thanks, Concavenator! I'm quite pleased to have acquired them so quickly. In fact, my dino shopping list for this year has had quite a few of them crossed off already. It's mostly just a big splurge left now when the Battats get re-released.

Shonisaurus

Is to thank triceratops83 the publication of these figures are fabulous, by the way is the same size the Medusaceratops the Xenoceratops. Incidentally definitely closed unfounded speculation that they were figures made from the same mold.

As always Collecta impressed and excited.  ;)

Manatee

Wow! The CollectA ceratopsians look even better in your pictures! Would you, by any chance, be able to show your shelf display in a couple wide pictures? I'm kind of curious to see that whole wall of your bedroom...

triceratops83

Quote from: Manatee on February 06, 2015, 12:46:27 AM
Would you, by any chance, be able to show your shelf display in a couple wide pictures? I'm kind of curious to see that whole wall of your bedroom...

I only have cheap bookcases I bought from a discount store. One day, when I've got some money and time, I might set up a proper shelf system. As you can see, the other Ceratopsians are too numerous for their shelf, now - once I find them a new home it can go back to being The Triceratops Wall (with one shelf devoted to Torosaurus - I'm OK with that, they were neighbours in space and time and close relatives). One shelf has a set of Spinosaurus teeth I've always meant to make a case for, but have been too lazy. Also, you'll notice certain empty spaces, like up on the top right - that's waiting for the upcoming Sideshow Trike. And it would be a whole wall if I swapped my wardrobe for the smaller bookcase, but a quirk in the building of the house has a boxed-in support beam that makes for an ill fit in that regard.

This smaller shelf is on the other side of my doorway, and you'll notice I keep glow in the dark figures on the corners facing out, so that I don't knock anything over during the night. That resin skull is a good place to store my sunglasses.

The Ornithopods don't really have a home, they're just here amongst books until I screw in some floating shelves. I bought a cheap set, but I'm not sure I like it - it's too deep, which I might find annoying. I think I'll end up getting a pine board and brackets. I have to do it this way because I really don't want more furniture cluttering up my room. When I figure it out I'll post pics of the results.

Sorry about the grainy pictures - my camera doesn't like anything less than harsh sunlight.
It's funny, the whole thing doesn't look like much when condensed into three photos.

Blade-of-the-Moon

wow..that's a lot of awesomeness right there!

triceratops83

Arul

sauroid

you need these trikes in your collection  :)

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

Quote from: sauroid on February 06, 2015, 08:46:08 AM
you need these trikes in your collection  :)

Yeah, I realise that it could never be a complete collection. There are some things like the Starlux Triceratops for example, that's easy enough to get a hold of, but unless I find one in immaculate condition, I probably won't bother. I've been really lucky in finding nearly everything brand new, or in perfect condition. My Holy Grail list is a lot shorter these days, but that Sega Vignetteum is on there, along with the Favorite Saurolophus. I'll definitely get everything Triceratops as it is released from now on, regardless of quality, but I only get Ceratopsians and Hadrosaurs if they appeal to me aesthetically. Also, for the most part I avoid Chinasaurs, otherwise my collection would be three times as large.

That ?Colorata Triceratops is very reminiscent of the first Favorite/Dinostoreus statue. And that Bandai is better than the one I have. The white one's UKRD, right?

Another question, what exactly is Early Learning Curve? Is it a brand, or a distributor, or what? It seems to copy a lot of other toy lines.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: