News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

triceratops83

Is this the quickest Papo has ever released their dinosaurs?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

sauroid

i suspect one of our active members in DTF works for Papo? i really hope so, so that we'll have a voice/representative regarding what we want Papo to make...
the Apato is just cool, but the glossy paintjob of the Tupux is a disappointment.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

mpchi

How long does it usually take a new Papo release to start showing up in U.S. stores after they appear in European countries?

RobinGoodfellow

The 2015 Papos :

APATOSAURUS

size comparison

Tupuxuara:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice pics!

It's a bad day to be Little-Foot's mom...lol

kreativtek

Both figurines look great, however I'm slightly concerned about their quality. Second photograph tells me that fitting lines (which indicate how the dinosaur has been assembled in the manufacturing process) are visible and that worries me a little. I can also see a random splatter of paint near the head.
Could you please tell if it's the fault of the lightning or is the paint job really worse than on the brown T-rex?

Patrx

I'm still wondering about the external nostril placement on the Apatosaurus. That'll be make-or-break for me. I still can't quite tell from these photos, alas.

Shonisaurus

Although I like both figures, the apatosaurus I see a little blurred with respect to the prototype. Moreover it is smaller than I thought, almost as big as the tyrannosaurus rex.
Moreover is not well see where the nostrils are placed.
Moreover the Tupuxuara looks lovely, although very small. I understand that Papo makes small to economize expenditure figures. For me the size figures of dinosaurs matter, not too large (ie huge) as the tyrannosaurus rex and triceratops Supreme deluxe Collecta nor so small as this one positive in this case that I can buy at least two copies of the Animal adorn the table in my bedroom.  :)
Anyway hope that maybe in the coming years an adult apatosaurus will realize.

suspsy

I'm really looking forward to both of these toys now.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Meso-Cenozoic

Thanks for these comparison pics! Am I really off, or does the Apato actually look about right next to 1/40 Hans?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on February 05, 2015, 08:35:26 PM
I'm still wondering about the external nostril placement on the Apatosaurus. That'll be make-or-break for me. I still can't quite tell from these photos, alas.
Yes, on the promotional image it had two pairs of nostrils...that can't be right. Hopefully they changed it.

KeU

Looks much more impressive from this angle. The promotional photos does the figure no justice.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Patrx on February 05, 2015, 08:35:26 PM

OMG, really! something that amounts to .00012% of a model's surface area is a deal breaker!!! :o :o :o ::) ??? I bet all the models in your collection are 100% accurate then.

suspsy

Everyone has his or her own personal quirks about what makes or breaks a dinosaur toy. Me, I gave away my Carnegie Spinosaurus to a friend's kid after the new restoration was revealed.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on February 06, 2015, 12:10:51 AM
Everyone has his or her own personal quirks about what makes or breaks a dinosaur toy. Me, I gave away my Carnegie Spinosaurus to a friend's kid after the new restoration was revealed.

I'm okay with people having quirks. But, most of the time, these 'quirks' don't appear to be consistent across the board (or dinosaur lines). For example, some people hate Schleich with a passion due to reasons (outside marketing and policy) but they do possess a myriad of dinosaurs in their collection that are far worse than Schleich based on the very same reasons that were used to rule out Schleich. It feels like a whole lot of mental gymnastics to me. A person may love JP and hate Papos. Again, more cognitive dissonance.

(I am not referring to anyone in particular).

stargatedalek

Hasbro/Kenner JP figures are very different from the ones Papo makes, other than both being based on JP films there's really not many similarities between them.

There's also date to consider. A lot of figures that are worse than Schleich were made a long time ago, thus they have good reason to be inaccurate, whereas Schleich are current and deliberately make their figures inaccurate.

Most importantly there's obscurity to take into account. If a species doesn't have many figures than someone may be willing to settle for the best available even if its inaccurate, but wouldn't settle for a similarly inaccurate figure of a species that has more accurate representations available.

suspsy

I know. That's how it is in any fandom, be it dinosaurs, Lego, Transformers, or whatever. There's seldom any consistency with regard to personal tastes and standards. It's extremely frustrating, but you can only discuss and debate it for so long before you eventually realize you're ice skating uphill. Again, using my own experiences here as examples, I don't have an issue with quills on ceratopsids, but I wouldn't purchase a mosasaur that didn't have a tail fluke. Is that being consistent? No, but it's how I feel.

And for what it's worth, I also don't comprehend people who love JP, but hate Papo.

DinoLord

Quote from: suspsy on February 06, 2015, 01:17:28 AM
And for what it's worth, I also don't comprehend people who love JP, but hate Papo.

Maybe their love for JP also encompasses a love for Universal's licensing rights?  :P

sauroid

the seams on the Tupuxuara's wings are just too obvious. if we didn't know better, we'd think they are "articulated".
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: