News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

Not to sound ignorant since I don't really keep up with sauropods, but what is up with the neck being all ridged?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Concavenator

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 01, 2015, 07:44:55 PM
Not to sound ignorant since I don't really keep up with sauropods, but what is up with the neck being all ridged?
Artistic decision.I'm happy this guy isn't shrink wrapped.

Meso-Cenozoic

Thanks for the new Apato pics, Concavenator! He actually looks to be of a nice size. Does anyone have any of those extant animals he's next too for size comparison? Wish they would've put him next to other Papo dinos. I have all them. ;)

suspsy

Either the neck looks too thick or the body looks too skinny.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Meso-Cenozoic

I think the neck looks fine. But I agree, especially from that top view, his torso looks like it could have more heft to it. It was probably to save on extra plastic and weight, because all their figures are solid. Right? I guess they could've made the torso partially hollow, though. At least they gave him a nice long tail. So many toy companies seem to skimp in that area.

stargatedalek

I just wish it wasn't looking backwards, its such a common pose for sauropods.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on February 01, 2015, 07:56:48 PM
Artistic decision.I'm happy this guy isn't shrink wrapped.

Yeah it's a bit of that..though they might be a bit too prominent.

Quote from: suspsy on February 01, 2015, 09:56:35 PM

Having just about wrapped up a life size version I can say it's pretty close, especially if they meant it to be more like A. Ajax than one of the other more robust species.  It could have used a little more muscle here and there, about the hips and neck but basically it's right.

Meso-Cenozoic

But weren't sauropods' tummies usually bloated with gas making their sides puff out? ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 01, 2015, 11:22:17 PM
But weren't sauropods' tummies usually bloated with gas making their sides puff out? ;)

If an A. Louisae was bloated from gas...I'm a mile away!

CityRaptor

I still remember that "news" from a few years ago...

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 01, 2015, 11:01:35 PM
I just wish it wasn't looking backwards, its such a common pose for sauropods.

Makes you wonder what they are looking for. An enemy? The guy who slows down the herd because he eats mushrooms?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Meso-Cenozoic

Magic mushrooms? LOL! Also would hate to be around a hallucinating sauropod too. Hehe!!

I just keep remembering that scene in WWD when a few of the Diplodocuses started farting and pooping. I thought it was a nice natural moment. ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on February 01, 2015, 09:56:35 PM

Apatosaurus are known for their unusually thick necks. Haven't you seen the WS and SS versions, lol?

suspsy

Both of those versions still had thicker rib cages though. This poor Papo needs food!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

triceratops83

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 01, 2015, 10:49:39 PM
I think the neck looks fine. But I agree, especially from that top view, his torso looks like it could have more heft to it. It was probably to save on extra plastic and weight, because all their figures are solid. Right? I guess they could've made the torso partially hollow, though. At least they gave him a nice long tail. So many toy companies seem to skimp in that area.

The Brachiosaurus is hollow. The neck is glued onto the torso and although the plastic is quite thick, it is hollow.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

kreativtek

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Centrosaur86

I have the Apatosaurus immediately ordered! I will post picture, s as soon as possible. Thursday I hope.  :D

leidy

just take a look at the cervical vertebrae and you'll understand.

Regarding the proportions, looks pretty spot on to me.  The neck size is on the big end of things, but nothing individual variation might not account for.

The ribcage doesn't look too small either, IMO.  And if it does to you, consider the view from the opposite side: it will appear less compact with the limbs further apart.

Honestly, it's pretty close to one of Papo's best ever dinosaurs, and that's saying a lot.  Most of the nitpicks I'm seeing here seem more than a bit petty considering how phenomenally good this is.  It's pretty clear to me that a tremendous amount of care went into this sculpt and getting it to the level it's at here... which some are so quick to casually dismiss at a glance, often calling out 'inaccuracies' that aint necessarily so. 

The size comparison between this and the Brachiosaurus, I expect it's probably similar to what you'd get if you could put the Field Museum's two skeletons side by side.  Their Apatosaurus is a big animal, but you can somehow relate to it, while their Brachiosaurus is just a towering colossus, head lost in the clouds.  The difference in size between the two Papos probably isn't so great that it couldn't be accounted for by a small/average apatosaur and a Sauroposeidon-scale brachiosaur.    I'd be reluctant to think of it as a juvenile, when it seems the fat neck may have been something that became more pronounced with maturity. 

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 02, 2015, 09:41:31 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 02, 2015, 01:05:04 AM
Magic mushrooms? LOL! Also would hate to be around a hallucinating sauropod too. Hehe!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZiNNtL-Bk

Exactly! LOL!! That scene makes ME dizzy every time I see it! :P

indominus rex

Although I truly love papos new apatosaurus and pterosaur ( I forgot the name   ???) I really wanted to see papo make a giganotosaurus and I hope that papo is going to make one because it is one of my favorite dinosaurs and I think we still might get a release maybe halfway through the year. Also in papo's new dinosaur mini tube it does feature a giganotosaurus and knowing papo's track record all of there mini figures have already been regular sized figures and none are made just for the mini figure line. So I still have high hopes that we'll see a giganotosaurus either half way through the year or early next year.
( Sorry for the overly long post just wanted to say my opinion on papo's 2015 figure line  :). )

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: