You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Obscure Creatures You Want Turned into a Model

Started by Megalosaurus, April 18, 2012, 01:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

I also want more BIG SAURAPODS made of solid PVC.
Alamosaurus
Jobaria(Thats not standing up like CollectAs)
Amphcuaulis (Spelling might be wrong)

tyrantqueen

QuoteHow can the Bigfoot and Yeti exist today and not be real?  If it's not real then it never existed.
He put "exists" in quotation marks. Meaning it exists in a sense that some people claim to have seen it and it is also a pop culture icon, but according to science, the Sasquatch/Yeti do not exist.

I disagree with his opinion, but whatever  :P

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 22, 2012, 01:43:36 PM
QuoteHow can the Bigfoot and Yeti exist today and not be real?  If it's not real then it never existed.
He put "exists" in quotation marks. Meaning it exists in a sense that some people claim to have seen it and it is also a pop culture icon, but according to science, the Sasquatch/Yeti do not exist.

I disagree with his opinion, but whatever  :P

Then all you need to do is produce the 'fossil' or skeletal material so that artists can do their reconstruction and make the model. Oh right--you can't. Because nothing has ever been found.

With a world full of strange and cool things that still need figures someday (siphonophore!draco volans!aye-aye!) as well as 4 Billion years worth of extinct creatures (see this thread), why waste time on imaginary creatures? :))

tyrantqueen

QuoteThen all you need to do is produce the 'fossil' or skeletal material so that artists can do their reconstruction and make the model. Oh right--you can't. Because nothing has ever been found.
No need to jump down my throat  >:(

BTW, I don't care if it's not real. I have an interest in pop culture, mythology and cryptozoology in general. You don't have to believe it's real to love Bigfoot.

Quotewhy waste time on imaginary creatures?
Then why bother making figures of dragons, anthropomorphic rhinoceros men, unicorns or any of the figures made in a fantasy style by Schleich, Papo and other toy companies to date?

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 22, 2012, 06:27:08 PM
QuoteThen all you need to do is produce the 'fossil' or skeletal material so that artists can do their reconstruction and make the model. Oh right--you can't. Because nothing has ever been found.
No need to jump down my throat  >:(

BTW, I don't care if it's not real. I have an interest in pop culture, mythology and cryptozoology in general. You don't have to believe it's real to love Bigfoot.

Quotewhy waste time on imaginary creatures?
Then why bother making figures of dragons, anthropomorphic rhinoceros men, unicorns or any of the figures made in a fantasy style by Schleich, Papo and other toy companies to date?

My disagreeing with you has nothing to do with jumping down your throat--I was (originally) refuting the notion that  bigfoot should be made to represent Gigantopithecus, when the two are clearly very different.  Reacting to someone's differing opinion as an attack of some kind is not conducive to open discussion (I even used a  :)) to demonstrate this was all meant in good humour).

If you want to see a bigfoot figure, declare it as such (then look up the Japanese Medicom, they made lots of cool small crypto figures).  If you want a Gigantopithecus, say that.

Pawnosuchus

How about a Gastonia? Anybody aware of a decent reproduction of one of those?

DinoFan45

Can't say I've seen one.

Another thing I want to add is I would love to see more creodonts and mesonychids. With the interesting mouths and dental batteries, weird morphology, and some having much debated looks, I'm surprised there isn't more of them out and about.
"Life will find a way."

Metallisuchus

I'm thinking Triops - a 'living fossil'... Maybe Quagga - an extinct zebra. Don't believe I've seen either of those.

[attachment msg=6815][/attachment]

SBell

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 24, 2012, 03:11:30 AM
I'm thinking Triops - a 'living fossil'... Maybe Quagga - an extinct zebra. Don't believe I've seen either of those.

There are 2 Triops figures out there, from Japan--the Epoch one, and the Kaiyodo one. I have two of the Epochs, and they are pretty life-like (I have yet to hunt down a cheap-enough Kaiyodo one).

As for quaggas, there are several, but most are out of production, and none are larger-sized. There are Yowies, Club Earth, Gone Extinct/Groovy Toobs,

There is, however, a Zorse coming out from Papo this year, so kind of close.

And given recent molecular evidence that quagga are simply a subspecies of Plains zebra, there have been lots made! Just not in that particular colour morph ;D

Takama

If you want a triop model, heres what you do.

go to the hobby shop to buy some eggs

raise them until they are you disired size.

Kill them

Then dry off there corpses and put em on display  :P

Thagirion

I am a big fan of the Cambrian fauna. I would love to see a life sized Anomalocaris for sale like the one they made for the Planet of Life series. Same colors as well. I'd also love an Amiskiwa, opabinia and other great fossils from the Burgess Shale.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Horridus

Quote from: Thagirion on April 24, 2012, 05:27:59 PM
I would love to see a life sized Anomalocaris for sale like the one they made for the Planet of Life series.
A life-size Anomalocaris would be cool, but not cheap I fear! Maybe 1/4 scale? It'd still be about 50cm long.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Primeval12

Maybe do a cross section of a burrow and put Two Diictodons in it

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Takama on April 24, 2012, 04:43:40 PM

Kill them

Hah! Gross. I had some, but eventually they started eating each other and now my girlfriend hates them and doesn't want any more. She gets weird about cannibals, apparently - yet she eats shrimp.

Metallisuchus

There are 2 Triops figures out there, from Japan--the Epoch one, and the Kaiyodo one. I have two of the Epochs, and they are pretty life-like (I have yet to hunt down a cheap-enough Kaiyodo one).

As for quaggas, there are several, but most are out of production, and none are larger-sized. There are Yowies, Club Earth, Gone Extinct/Groovy Toobs,

There is, however, a Zorse coming out from Papo this year, so kind of close.

And given recent molecular evidence that quagga are simply a subspecies of Plains zebra, there have been lots made! Just not in that particular colour morph ;D
[/quote]

Yeah, I actually did just read that fact (subspecies of Plains Zebra) as I was looking up a Quagga photo on Google. I liked them ever since they included them in Zoo Tycoon 2. Thanks for all the info - I'll try looking these models up.

SBell

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 24, 2012, 11:53:57 PM
Quote from: Takama on April 24, 2012, 04:43:40 PM

Kill them

Hah! Gross. I had some, but eventually they started eating each other and now my girlfriend hates them and doesn't want any more. She gets weird about cannibals, apparently - yet she eats shrimp.

Well, as long as she's not a shrimp (and unless this is Futurama-world, I am guessing she's not) then it's not cannibalism, just good ol' fashioned predation.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Thagirion on April 24, 2012, 05:27:59 PM
I'd also love an Amiskiwa, opabinia and other great fossils from the Burgess Shale.

Cambrian lover? I've two choices.

Sanctacaris

and Aysheaia

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

Aysheaia was made by COG in the Prehistoric Panorama series. Decent figure, although not exactly easy to find anymore.

Metallisuchus

[/quote]

Well, as long as she's not a shrimp (and unless this is Futurama-world, I am guessing she's not) then it's not cannibalism, just good ol' fashioned predation.
[/quote]

No, no.... I meant that shrimp are cannibals. She doesn't even want Triops in our fishtank because they're cannibals, yet she'll EAT a cannibal.

Thagirion

Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: