News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 29, 2015, 10:10:17 AM
Hm, there are two identical Tyrannosaurs and two identical Pteranodons. That means that either one is not guaranteed to get all 15 in that bag or there are actually less than 15 to collect. The Ankylosaurus seems to have a different color than the one in the video, too.
The Spinosaurus in the photo has different colours to the one in the video too.  Between the video and the photo of the blind bag figures there's:

1. Brown Ankylosaurus
2. Red Ankylosaurus
3. Grey Spinosaurus
4. Brown Spinosaurus
5. Green Velociraptor
6. Grey Velociraptor
7. Allosaurus
8. Pteranodon
9. Dimorphodon
10. Triceratops
11. I. rex
12. Mosasaurus
13. Tyrannosaurus
14. Pachycephalosaurus
15. Stegosaurus

If these are all the blind bag figures, it's quite a coincidence the only two missing from the photo are the two in the video!  Most of these mini figures have very similar sculpts to the bigger ones by Hasbro, but I find they manage to be much better than those larger JW toys!

CityRaptor

Not all molds work on the same scale. The JW molds and their amount of details just work better with smaller figures than with bigger. I really hope they come to Europe in some way, because I'm not interested in paying those insane shipping costs or eBay prices.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ItsTwentyBelow

I gotta be honest. I think this whole Jurassic World toy line is terrible. Just awful. It disappoints me how much attention this thread continually gets. There is more discussion here about these plastic monsters than there is in the Battat 2015 thread for crying out loud. I love this forum for its focus on the more obscure and downright awesome aspects of collecting prehistoric figures.

The original Jurassic Park and Lost World toys were phenomenal. I remember getting that dino-damaged Triceratops as a kid, my first JP toy. Then Jurassic Park III came out, and the toys were from a different world. They just paled in comparison. "RE-AK A-TAK"?? Who thinks up that crap? Needless to say, I bought way too many figures from that series. These Jurassic World toys are a solid few steps down from even that, and I just won't stoop to that level. The sculpts are a joke, and those screwholes....agggh my eyes. The blind packs were mildly intriguing to see, but then you realize they are just similar sculpts from the main line, shrunken and without articulation, and you go "meh". There are too many people who are clearly drawn to these simply by the "Jurassic Park/World" branding.

The only reason I can think of that makes sense for why such an afterthought of a toy line is associated with Jurassic World, is because a much bigger blockbuster, Star Wars, is right around the corner. Hasbro is in charge of both of these toy lines, and I'm sure you all know which one they are counting on to make them the REAL big bucks. I will not be surprised if we see no more Jurassic World merchandise anywhere by the fall season.

Shame it had to happen this way, but it's money I can save for the Battat re-releases and new releases, and Favorite soft models. Hasbro did not put enough effort into these dinosaurs to interest me.

tyrantqueen

QuoteIt disappoints me how much attention this thread continually gets.
When people drive past a car crash they can't help rubbernecking :-\

suspsy

Good post, ItsTwentyBelow, especially your observation at the end. If Kenner was still in existence and in charge of JW toys, I strongly suspect most if not everyone on this forum would be spending a lot more hard-earned money this year. A silver lining in a very dark cloud.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ItsTwentyBelow

Well put, tyrantqueen.

Very much agreed, suspsy. Star Wars is really going to be stealing the show. I think there would have been a big difference in the quality of this toy line if some other company, who did not also have the licensing for Star Wars merchandise, had acquired the Jurassic World rights. I think the awesome Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus we saw a couple years ago were a glimpse of what Hasbro can do with dinosaurs if they have time on their hands and nothing else as astronomically huge as Star Wars taking up all their attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Star Wars fan and am optimistic about that film, but I'm a bigger fan of paleontology and Star Wars is already really cramping Jurassic World's style this year.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on April 30, 2015, 02:11:23 AM
Good post, ItsTwentyBelow, especially your observation at the end. If Kenner was still in existence and in charge of JW toys, I strongly suspect most if not everyone on this forum would be spending a lot more hard-earned money this year. A silver lining in a very dark cloud.
...If Kenner was still in existence, we'd still have the same problem.  Star Wars vs. Jurassic World.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 30, 2015, 02:24:03 AM
...If Kenner was still in existence, we'd still have the same problem.  Star Wars vs. Jurassic World.

Heh, good point. But even if JW still got the short end of the stick, I refuse to believe that Kenner would ever have produced anything as horrendous as Zombie Spinosaurus or Toothed-And-No-Necked Pteranodon.

ItsTwentyBelow

I would agree with that. Hasbro has always seemed like such a vast, soulless, money-grubbing entity to me. I think what they did with the JPIII line was a big influence on that viewpoint. Kenner would surely have done JW better justice. The new-ish JP Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus were amazing. We hadn't been treated to new JP figures like that, with ACTUAL dino damage, since 1997 or 1998. But they are a question mark. Why, oh why did Hasbro not continue in that direction?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on April 30, 2015, 02:53:55 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 30, 2015, 02:24:03 AM

Heh, good point. But even if JW still got the short end of the stick, I refuse to believe that Kenner would ever have produced anything as horrendous as Zombie Spinosaurus or Toothed-And-No-Necked Pteranodon.
Well, I just hope that the Star Wars line fares a bit better...even if the de-canonization of the Expanded Universe cuts down on what they can do.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on April 30, 2015, 03:23:45 AM
I would agree with that. Hasbro has always seemed like such a vast, soulless, money-grubbing entity to me. I think what they did with the JPIII line was a big influence on that viewpoint. Kenner would surely have done JW better justice. The new-ish JP Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus were amazing. We hadn't been treated to new JP figures like that, with ACTUAL dino damage, since 1997 or 1998. But they are a question mark. Why, oh why did Hasbro not continue in that direction?

My guess is they were more expensive to produce. I know I wanted to see the unreleased ones from that line. I figured after those were really in for  a treat with a new film and all..but it was pretty much a huge letdown. 

I've heard on JPToys that Hasbro has been going cheap all around for all of their lines. Kids just don't want to play with toys anymore after age 5 or so.  They want electronic devices instead..so I guess I can't blame Hasblo entirely.  Though if they were going to make figures anyway why not good ones?

DinoLord

Personally I really enjoyed the Hasbro JP3 toys as a kid; they looked nice (most of them at least) and were fun to play with. Some of them (the larger Velociraptor and Spiniosaurus toys) are definitely on par with the Kenner figures in my view. But their figures this time around seem just plain lackluster to me. Sure the JP3 toys had the dino damage feature, but at least they looked like their film counterparts (particularly the Pteranodon and male Velociraptor).

I definitely hope we see some more detailed figures from other companies.

kreativtek

Quote from: DinoLord on April 30, 2015, 04:17:29 PM
Personally I really enjoyed the Hasbro JP3 toys as a kid; they looked nice (most of them at least) and were fun to play with. Some of them (the larger Velociraptor and Spiniosaurus toys) are definitely on par with the Kenner figures in my view. But their figures this time around seem just plain lackluster to me. Sure the JP3 toys had the dino damage feature, but at least they looked like their film counterparts (particularly the Pteranodon and male Velociraptor).

I definitely hope we see some more detailed figures from other companies.

Do you really think they're coming? I agree that most JW toys look boring, except for the large I-rex, which seems to be the most interesting in the lot.
Does anyone around here have this figure? It's now available in the US and Western Europe, I think.

DinoLord

I think Roselaar has the I. rex figure.

As to other companies, you never know. Kaiyodo did do a licensed line for JP3, and released the official TLW-affiliated articulated T. rex a few years back, so they're at least capable of getting the proper licensing from Universal and Amblin. If the film does really well I imagine some other film memorabilia companies will get in on the action as well. Maybe Sideshow will pleasantly surprise us - they did manage to get the licensing rights to produce a JP piece a few years back.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Some in the U.S. have the Bad Boy I-Rex figure..achieved through accident or luck but it doesn't release officially til May 1st-8th depending on the store.  Personally I'm waiting for walmart to stock it. Should be the cheapest place.

Sideshow dropped the ball with the JP license when they let it go. The one piece they did make was just okay to me. My one hope is overseas companies making something. There is really nothing dinosaur/film related here in the U.S. that is being released of collector quality.

Sim

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on April 30, 2015, 02:00:44 AM
I gotta be honest. I think this whole Jurassic World toy line is terrible. Just awful. It disappoints me how much attention this thread continually gets. There is more discussion here about these plastic monsters than there is in the Battat 2015 thread for crying out loud. I love this forum for its focus on the more obscure and downright awesome aspects of collecting prehistoric figures.
I think the Jurassic World and JP3 toy lines are terrible (I think both are better than JP Chaos Effect though...).  If you replace "Jurassic World" with "Schleich" in the part of your post I quoted above, that's how I feel about the prehistoric toys Schleich is currently producing and the Schleich - new for 2015 thread.  At least in this thread most of the posts are people expressing their disappointment in the Jurassic World toy line, from what I remember.  In the Schleich - new for 2015 thread however...  I haven't looked in that thread for quite a while now, but I'd be surprised if the amount of disappointment there had become like the one in this thread.  I respect that different people can have different likes though, even if I don't understand the appeal of those Schleich toys.

Regarding the Battat 2015 thread, I think it doesn't help that that thread currently has no pictures of the new Battat dinosaurs, or that none of these new dinosaur figures are available.  When I've got a bit more time, I might try to find somewhere I can upload pictures of the new Battat dinosaurs so they can be seen in that thread.  Not Facebook though, as that's what the made the pictures in that thread disappear!  Regarding the figures not being available, I called Battat today and asked them about when the new dinos will be available.  I'll post what I was told in the Battat 2015 thread when I next have a free moment!

Roselaar

Quote from: DinoLord on April 30, 2015, 04:39:57 PM
I think Roselaar has the I. rex figure.

No, I have the smaller I-Rex, not the big one (yet).

I don't know whether you guys follow other action figure lines these days, but quality everywhere has taken a significant hit. The new Avengers toys are also terrible, and even Star Wars toys pale in comparison to the older lines. JW is hardly unique in this regard, sadly. Hasbro is the worst offender (mostly because it's so visible because it owns the big franchise names), but not the only one. We just have to face the fact that they don't make these toys like they used to. I can understand that's a frustrating and frightening reality, but all you can do is not buy the toys and hope for a better future.

suspsy

Roselaar is quite right, unfortunately. About the only Hasbro line that doesn't seem to have suffered in quality is the Transformers Generations/Combiner Wars line.

Shadowknight1

Honestly, I think RETAIL is the problem here.  I happen to be more than aware of the numerous Star Wars Black Series figures that would be great for fans, but my Walmart doesn't carry any of them beyond a few of the shelf warmers from a couple of waves back.  Right now, the focus seems to be on the 5-points-of-articulation Mission Series.  And I would even argue that the Black Series has had a few missteps.  Biggest one in my mind is the 6-inch Vader.  Still.  My Walmart barely stocks any Star Wars, DC, or Marvel figures.  The biggest toy wall is TMNT.

Fukuiraptor

I buy Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Avengers, Marvel Infinite toys from Hasbro.  All see a visible setback in terms of quality.  I know it's a matter of cost-cutting but the screwholes on the dino figures of JW are unforgivable.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: