News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on April 30, 2015, 02:00:44 AM
I gotta be honest. I think this whole Jurassic World toy line is terrible. Just awful. It disappoints me how much attention this thread continually gets. There is more discussion here about these plastic monsters than there is in the Battat 2015 thread for crying out loud. I love this forum for its focus on the more obscure and downright awesome aspects of collecting prehistoric figures.

Well, good and popular are not the same things. We also made this in a general Jurassic World toys thread, as seen by the inclusion of Lego etc. The molds also work a lot better for the blindbags than they do for the bigger figures. Talking about them, more variants:

Also according to JP Toys:
Single Figure Blind Bag: $1.92
Tubes (containing 3 dinos): $4.44
15-Count Assortment Bag: $14.86

Seems like the 15-Pack is the way to go.

Oh, and Lego's JW site is up:
http://www.lego.com/en-us/jurassicworld
According to it, all the Raptors have their coloration due to different DNA used:
Blue: Black-Throated African Monitor Lizard - also Pack Leader, oldest, strongest, smartest
Charlie: Green Iguana - also youngest member
Delta: More Avian DNA, Gecko-like pupils - second oldest
Echo - got her scars from challenging Blue for Leadership, no info on her DNA however...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Doug Watson

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 01, 2015, 12:31:53 PM

15-Count Assortment Bag: $14.86

Seems like the 15-Pack is the way to go.

I paid a visit to our local Wallyworld up here in Canada and they don't have the blind bags yet, surprise! They had three of the giant Velociraptors, some velociraptor hands and a T rex hand puppet but no bags.
I talked to a sales associate and she said stuff is just starting to come in. She said she would need a SKU to see if we will be getting them. If anyone here has purchased the 15-Pack could you provide the SKU?

Takama

Here is my I.REX. The only Action figure from this line i have an interest in. (Well maybe the Mosasaurus will change that)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm sitting here now with the big iRex in hand. I wasn't disappointed, as I knew about the shortcomings, such as, obviously, the screwholes. There are also lots of seams, but I won't complain about those as almost all of the larger toys from 1993 had huge seams as well. The head is in fact made of rubber, not foam, however it is thin and smooth, unlike the red rex which I also have here with me, which has very thick skin, and is much more durable. The action feature leads to some good playability as well. In all I do not think it is on par with the older lines. Does anyone know how it compares to the JP/// spino?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Hermes888

So there are supposed to be fifteen, right? This image here shows 18 including varying colors, or 9 without. So are we missing six?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 02, 2015, 09:41:40 PM
I'm sitting here now with the big iRex in hand. I wasn't disappointed, as I knew about the shortcomings, such as, obviously, the screwholes. There are also lots of seams, but I won't complain about those as almost all of the larger toys from 1993 had huge seams as well. The head is in fact made of rubber, not foam, however it is thin and smooth, unlike the red rex which I also have here with me, which has very thick skin, and is much more durable. The action feature leads to some good playability as well. In all I do not think it is on par with the older lines. Does anyone know how it compares to the JP/// spino?

I have the JP3 Spino and it has pretty thin skin too.

My Kenner dinos don't seem to have have many/any exposed seams. 

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 29, 2015, 08:40:37 AM
They are so copying WWD with the blind bag thing ;)

The WWD blind bag dinos were SO MUCH BETTER.

Anything is better than this line. Guess my wallet's gonna stay full this time around.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was out running errands today and checked a few stores..ended up with the Anky and Stegoceratops, the Bad Boy I-Rex and the Gyrosphere set. If I find Blue and the blind packs/Minis I'm good.

I did see other figures..the Chomping Rex was an easy pass..that face..ugh. The other figures..they had the Spino but it was tiny and horrible. I'd take any JP3 Spino figure over it.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Hermes888 on May 03, 2015, 02:22:43 AM
So there are supposed to be fifteen, right? This image here shows 18 including varying colors, or 9 without. So are we missing six?

So far it looks like there are 12 species to collect, but all in various color variants. There are at least 3 for Mosasaurus and Indominus rex.
http://dinodan.proboards.com/thread/7588/jurassic-world-blind-bags?page=6
That's right, the exclusive comes in 3 different variants....
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

If anyone turns up a spare Dimorphodon, that is literally the only figure I want from this series. I'll take it off your hands for cash or trade.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinomike

You guys happy with the gyrosphere set? I'm kinda keen on that...still on the fence. :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 03, 2015, 03:51:58 AM
Mine do, or at least the real-feel ones like the young T. rex and trike. Not a fan at all when it comes to the seams on the more solid plastic. That's what stopped me from getting the new T. rex. Well that- and the jaw.  :o
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Roselaar

Quote from: Dinomike on May 05, 2015, 06:09:06 PM
You guys happy with the gyrosphere set? I'm kinda keen on that...still on the fence. :)

I like it well enough. The dinosaur could have used a little more paint detail but it otherwise a decent sculpt with a nice biting action. The Gyrosphere is a pretty cool and fairly movie accurate vehicle, apart from the silly disc shooting thingy. The only real bad thing about the set is the human figure.

Shadowknight1

I saw the 15-dino set at Walmart today and got it.  I figured I'd give my own personal thoughts.  Not really an indepth review, but more of an overview.

Overall: Fairly nice details on each figure.  Paint apps range from good to decent to downright awful, but I'll cover that as I go.  I'll go through each species and leave the figures I got doubles of for last.

Pachycephalosaurus: Not a bad looking representation of the dino, though I doubt the real life one would have been reddish-orange with red on his back.
Spinosaurus: Lucky the small guy doesn't have tapping toe syndrome like his bigger brother, this one is grey with a splash of red along his back and head, though the sail is grey.
Ankylosaurus: This one is mostly dark green with a light grey underbelly.  He's short, stout, and very typical ankylosaurid.
Velociraptor: Mine is green with yellow stripes.  Not the color scheme I would have wanted.  Rather ugly, to be honest.
Stegosaurus: Very nice model though with a very goofy looking mouth.  Green with tan(?) plates is his color scheme, and it works.
Mosasaurus: I really like this one.  Nice alligator-like scaling along the back all the way to the fluked tail.  Mine is a light grey at the bottom working up to a blue-grey with black and yellow striping on top.  He looks really cool.
Triceratops: Mostly green, but one of the few in the set with VERY pronounced eyes.  Unlike most Trike models that have the front end lowered like they're preparing to charge, this one is up a bit and looking proud.  Like this one quite a bit.
Allosaurus: I hate the rounded crests.  I truly do.  That being said, this little guy is quite charming compared to his larger counterpart.  This is mostly because he's in a lower pose with his mouth closed(all the other carnivores have their mouths open) and because he has a really nice color scheme!  He's jungle green with really nice dark green stripes and a pale underbelly.  If the big version looked more like this, I would have forgiven its inaccurate crests.
Dimorphodon: The last of the singles and this one is really nice!  He has a bluish-grey base color with a splash of yellow on the top of his head and spots along the wings that are really well done.
Pteranodon: Not bad models, but the two I have are very low on details.  One is green, the other is red.  Not much I can really say here.
Tyrannosaurus rex: Wow.  These are the definition of mixed bag.  One is a very nice dark green, almost black, with a pale underbelly, a very nice combination.  The other...is bright f**king neon orange with a bright yellow stripe underneath.  Ugliest of the bunch, IMHO.
Indominus Rex: Woo!  Got two of this guy!!  Neither is the movie accurate color, but both are very nice.  The argument could be made that these are camoflage colors.  One is light green with dark green on its back which is pretty nice.  The other is near ghost white with blue on its back and I love that one a LOT.

All in all, a mixed bag, but it has quite a few gems in it.  ;D
EDIT: Forgot to mention!  In a fit of ingenuity, I am now using one of the cardboard triangles that surrounded some of the dinos to prop up my Wind Hunter until I can get her a proper acrylic rod.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

Quote from: Hermes888 on May 03, 2015, 02:22:43 AM

Wow i really want this set

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 05, 2015, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 03, 2015, 03:51:58 AM
Mine do, or at least the real-feel ones like the young T. rex and trike. Not a fan at all when it comes to the seams on the more solid plastic. That's what stopped me from getting the new T. rex. Well that- and the jaw.  :o

I looked at mine again, the young Rex has sort of seams around the legs where it goes from real-feel to plastic for the feet. The Trike seems to only be around the neck?   think I recall some pieces tearing loose around the legs.

I saw the new Rex at TRU..terrible. Awful, ugly head, tiny body compared..just not worth it.

Quote from: Roselaar on May 05, 2015, 09:39:00 PM
Quote from: Dinomike on May 05, 2015, 06:09:06 PM

I like it well enough. The dinosaur could have used a little more paint detail but it otherwise a decent sculpt with a nice biting action. The Gyrosphere is a pretty cool and fairly movie accurate vehicle, apart from the silly disc shooting thingy. The only real bad thing about the set is the human figure.

Agreed. It's more overall in scale with itself than the "Bad Boy/Girl" is, detail is nice, not great but nice. I think it's in scale with the Papo JP Rex too.  I haven't taken mine out of the box..still deciding if I want to.  If I do I'll remove the disc shooter from it.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 07, 2015, 12:40:22 AM
I saw the 15-dino set at Walmart today and got it.  I figured I'd give my own personal thoughts.  Not really an indepth review, but more of an overview.
EDIT: Forgot to mention!  In a fit of ingenuity, I am now using one of the cardboard triangles that surrounded some of the dinos to prop up my Wind Hunter until I can get her a proper acrylic rod.

Thanks for the breakdown, could you post the SKU, bar code or any other product identification numbers from the bag, I want to ask the Walmart Canada people if we will be getting them and they said I would need the SKU (Stock Keeping Unit).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Checking with the guys at JPToys Doug.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 07, 2015, 04:02:10 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 07, 2015, 12:40:22 AM

Thanks for the breakdown, could you post the SKU, bar code or any other product identification numbers from the bag, I want to ask the Walmart Canada people if we will be getting them and they said I would need the SKU (Stock Keeping Unit).
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Took me some time to get pics :

Modified my I-Rex's box to accommodate her tail.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: