News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

P

Rebor v Papo

Started by petebuster1, January 20, 2015, 03:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petebuster1

As some have questioned the quality of Rebor and some have suggested no better than Papo here are some pics of the Y-Rex so you can judge for yourselves

suspsy

Rebor is a statue line. Papo is a toy line. Apples and oranges.

Also, I find that Yutyrannus to be pretty lame. Why did they strip it of nearly all its feathers? It's like they're only grudgingly acknowledging that feathered tyrannosaurs existed.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

petebuster1

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2015, 03:46:30 PM

Also, I find that Yutyrannus to be pretty lame. Why did they strip it of nearly all its feathers? It's like they're only grudgingly acknowledging that feathered tyrannosaurs existed.
Please keep to the subject of the post, if you read what i've written you'll understand the reason for the post, the feather issue has been repeated enough and not what the post is about, thank you

tyrantqueen

Can you compare it to the Papo Allosaurus? Since that's obviously where it got its inspiration from.

petebuster1

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 20, 2015, 03:55:25 PM
Can you compare it to the Papo Allosaurus? Since that's obviously where it got its inspiration from.
unfortunately i don't have the allosaurus it would have been ideal for the purpose.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 03:59:11 PM
unfortunately i don't have the allosaurus it would have been ideal for the purpose.
This is a pretty unfair test then. How can you say the quality of the Rebor is better if you don't own the Allosaurus?

Arul

What i like from rebor is they give an educational card, very good way to educating all age. What i like from papo is they are cheap not making my wallet dying but the detail is two thumbs up for that price. About quality, honestly papo figure quality is not so good on the paint job, not done very well in each figure. The sculp is vine but the clear example for now is papo stego which have a real backward...

postsaurischian

Untrue! Both are made of similar material, both have movable jaws, both are at a similar scale, both are not really accurate, both are mass-produced, more or less quickly hand-painted figures ..... > ergo: They're both toys (in my opinion), ... or both are statues if you prefer.

... Yyaaaawn! (not meant in a rude way ;))

petebuster1

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 20, 2015, 04:06:06 PM
This is a pretty unfair test then. How can you say the quality of the Rebor is better if you don't own the Allosaurus?
Its not a test and i did have the papo Allosaurus, ive simply put the pics up so people can judge the quality of rebor, those that have papo can judge the differences, some people have stated they are no better than papo, the paint quality is far better imo and i'm simply trying to illustrate this.

suspsy

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 03:55:09 PM

Please keep to the subject of the post, if you read what i've written you'll understand the reason for the post, the feather issue has been repeated enough and not what the post is about, thank you

I did keep to the subject of the post when I pointed out that comparing a statue line to a toy line is like comparing apples and oranges. It's the same reason why a Mattel Batman action figure shouldn't be compared to a Sideshow Batman bust, or why a Hasbro GJ Joe Skystriker shouldn't be compared to a Revell F-15 Eagle kit.

Megalosaurus

I bought REBOR's YRex, King, and have reserved one Jolly. Also I have almost all Papo's dinosaurs.
I will never talk about accuracy when refering to those 2 brands. We all know it is not a strong point of either.

Comparing YRex to Allosaurus.
Allosaurus texture is much more rich, scales (different shapes and sizes), spines, crocodilian plates.
Paintjob, both are ok, but YRex snout is more colorful.

To me they both are great sculpts.

Rebor offers a informative card, great packaging, and a base.
Papo is more affordable in prince. So Papo Wins for me.

Yet I'll keep buying from both companies. I do like both styles.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Tallin

I'd say the quality of the paint is yes, better than papo's. But it is more expensive so what would you expect? The only thing that DOES  bother me about the quality of this paint job though is the splash of red and yellow on the end of the muzzle - it looks a bit hastily thrown on...I would have preferred it to be kept neutral like the body...or at least better applied.

I also agree that I like the varying scale sizes on the Allo. If you're going to scale your dino, make them interesting! Especially is artistic licence is more important than accuracy! ;)

suspsy

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2015, 04:14:30 PM

Untrue! Both are made of similar material, both have movable jaws, both are at a similar scale, both are not really accurate, both are mass-produced, more or less quickly hand-painted figures ..... > ergo: They're both toys (in my opinion), ... or both are statues if you prefer.

Similarities in scale, accuracy, mass production, paint, and even articulation do not alter the fact that one is a statue line and the other is a toy line. One T. Rex costs around $60-$65 and can only be purchased online or in hobby stores, the other costs around $20-$30 and can be purchased in museum gift shops and toy stores. Again, it's apples and oranges to me.

And you may not have intended to be rude with that "yawn" crack, but it still came off that way.

Tallin

The fact that papo figures are aimed and designed with kids in mind and Rebor ones definitely aren't seals the deal that one is a toy and the other isn't for me...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 04:15:10 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 20, 2015, 04:06:06 PM
Its not a test and i did have the papo Allosaurus, ive simply put the pics up so people can judge the quality of rebor, those that have papo can judge the differences, some people have stated they are no better than papo, the paint quality is far better imo and i'm simply trying to illustrate this.
If it's not a test, why does the title say "Rebor v Papo?"

Honestly, it comes across as a bit hypocritical for you to say that Rebor's quality has to be judged in person, but not afford the same fairness to Papo's Allosaurus. You don't have the Allosaurus so you cannot judge whether the Rebor is any better. I personally do not think it is unreasonable to judge a toy by its stock photo. It's not like an action figure where there are moving parts that can break. What you see is what you get.

Anyway, I believe Postsaurischian already did a side by side comparison of the two sculpts. The sculpting on the Rebor is nice, but it's not particularly better than the Papo.

Dobber

Not speaking about accuracy...but I do think that Rebor has an edge over Papo in the paint and finish department. My Papo Allosaurus looks very little like their stock photos in the paint department but what Rebor show's is what you get from them...and I appreciate that. Nothing more disappointing ithanbeing shown a beautiful model by a company and then getting something that pales in comparison for simplicity sake. Papo is not the only company that does this....I know. That just makes it that much better that Rebor doesn't.

Both companies do offer very nice sculpts, again not speaking of accuracy, that are very detailed. Papo are more affordable and a bit easier to get too....and if you can get a model that is painted well then all the better.
My Allosaurus can be seen in this thead:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2893.260

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

postsaurischian

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2015, 04:26:32 PM
Similarities in scale, accuracy, mass production, paint, and even articulation do not alter the fact that one is a statue line and the other is a toy line. One T. Rex costs around $60-$65 and can only be purchased online or in comic stores, the other costs around $20-$30 and can be purchased in museum gift shops and toy stores. Again, it's apples and oranges to me.

But the material definitely is and the costs and availability definitely aren't.
BTW: I've never seen an articulated statue - please note the root word static!

And you may not have intended to be rude with that "yawn" crack, but it still came off that way.

:-[ Then I'm sorry, but I'd really like you (and some other members as well) to discuss our hobby with a little more sense of humor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These aren't new pics. I might do better ones, but I'm heading off to Australia tomorrow and I do not have the time anymore.
"Better than nothing" - I thought to myself.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThese aren't new pics. I might do better ones, but I'm heading off to Australia tomorrow and I do not have the time anymore.
I bet you're excited 8) Have fun, sounds like it will be the trip of a lifetime.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 20, 2015, 04:53:35 PM
QuoteThese aren't new pics. I might do better ones, but I'm heading off to Australia tomorrow and I do not have the time anymore.
I bet you're excited 8) Have fun, sounds like it will be the trip of a lifetime.

:) Thank you! Actually it's the 6th time I'm going there. My best friend lives in Queensland. I'm going to Winton this time ;) :D.
       ....... but yes, I'm VERY excited ;D!

suspsy

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2015, 04:49:11 PM
Similarities in scale, accuracy, mass production, paint, and even articulation do not alter the fact that one is a statue line and the other is a toy line. One T. Rex costs around $60-$65 and can only be purchased online or in comic stores, the other costs around $20-$30 and can be purchased in museum gift shops and toy stores. Again, it's apples and oranges to me.

But the material definitely is and the costs and availability definitely aren't.

Definitely aren't what?

QuoteBTW: I've never seen an articulated statue - please note the root word static!

Plenty of pop culture statues and collectibles have one or two points of articulation or an interchangeable head or hand. That still doesn't make them toys per se.

:-[ Then I'm sorry, but I'd really like you (and some other members as well) to discuss our hobby with a little more sense of humor.[/quote]

I appreciate and accept your apology, but I hope you understand that the fact that I didn't find your crack funny doesn't mean I lack a sense of humour.

FWITW, I think the detail on Rebor is superb. Whether or not that makes it superior to Papo is strictly a matter of personal opinion. Can't we all concur that both companies employ talented artists?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: