News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

P

Rebor v Papo

Started by petebuster1, January 20, 2015, 03:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I'd say Papo's detail on their models are as good if not better than Rebor's.And pretty much considering Papo's stuff are toys and Rebor's statues,I think Papo would still be considered as superior in my opinion.Have none of ypu ever asked this yourselves?Think you're Papo's sculptor.Would you add so many details in a model that will end up being owned by a child,who will most probably ignore the figure's quality and treat it as if it was just a normal toy?Most aurely not  ;) However,if you had to sculpt statues,you'd have to do something to explain its expensive price.Just be a little  sympathetic here  :)

petebuster1

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2015, 06:33:46 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 06:08:24 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2015, 05:19:25 PM
Petebuster1, you presented photos of the Rebor Yutyrannus, implying that it "proves" that Rebor is superior to Papo. I responded with my personal opinion that it's not really fair to compare the two companies, and remarked that I personally didn't like the statue's appearance. If you don't agree with me, fine, but there's no need for that attitude.
In paint work i believe Rebor is superior overall , my point to you is that i'm comparing them  to illustrate the paintwork differences as some people have suggested there's no difference  (in other threads) and thats the reason i started the thread, not to compare two companies as a whole

Then you should have specified that reason from the beginning. You can't assume that everyone on this forum reads each and every single thread.
the opening post did but obviously not clear enough for everyone ;) should have put paintwork in :'(

CityRaptor

Quote from: Concavenator on January 20, 2015, 06:37:03 PM
Yutyrannus would be Y.huali,not Y-Rex  >:( I was just being ironic,I knew it,but I'm tired of people saying Y.rex.Why not saying Y.argestes?After all,Yutyrannus is a relative of Lythronax isn't it?Oh,come on it's so annoying.

Probably "rule of cool". You know, calling it something rex.

Quote from: Concavenator on January 20, 2015, 06:37:03 PM
Now to the actual topic.Rebor's stuff are statues,Papo's are toys.Do I have anything else to say?The price of the Rebor models are a lot more expensive than Papo's.With the price of their Tyrannosaurus you could get like
4 Archaeopteryx!  :o

Here in Germany, you could get both of Papo's big Tyrannosaurs for it and still have money left.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

petebuster1

I must admit of the 3 Rebors so far this is the one i like the least, i think the T-rex is better value and far better than the papo offerings

Concavenator

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 06:58:51 PM
I must admit of the 3 Rebors so far this is the one i like the least, i think the T-rex is better value and far better than the papo offerings
Again,you can't compare Rebors stuff with Papo's.They're different things.

petebuster1

Quote from: Concavenator on January 20, 2015, 07:01:25 PM
I disagree you can compare anything if you wish, they're all dinosaur models after all.My last comment was more an opinion than a comparison

CityRaptor

Like I said, REBOR is more than twice as expensive.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Concavenator

A toy is something different to a statue.For that matter,would you find reasonable to compare Sideshow's stuff with Mojo's?Just asking.

petebuster1

Quote from: Concavenator on January 20, 2015, 07:09:09 PM
A toy is something different to a statue.For that matter,would you find reasonable to compare Sideshow's stuff with Mojo's?Just asking.
Ive already been involved in a thread about whether Rebor are classed as toys which imo they're not moving parts or not. But they can be whatever you want them to be, i judge it on "would i give this to a child to play with?"

tanystropheus

What is the difference between a statue and a toy? Aside from the quality of materials, lack of articulation and the price tag? Well, for starters, statues utilize higher quality materials than toys. Papo also uses higher quality materials than CollectA, WS, Carnegie or Schleich. The same can be said of Rebor. Both Papos and Rebors generally have a lack of articulation. Now, Rebors are priced considerably higher than Papos. If Papos had the same price tag, consumers would regard them as statues.

Also, Papo is far closer to SS than Mojo. Mojo is a joke. However, SS models are much larger in size than Papo "toys". I'm not sure if size is a property exclusive to statues.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 20, 2015, 07:01:25 PM

Why are they two different things other than the price tag?

petebuster1

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 20, 2015, 07:16:59 PM

What is the difference between a statue and a toy? Aside from the quality of materials, lack of articulation and the price tag? Well, for starters, statues utilize higher quality materials than toys. Papo also uses higher quality materials than CollectA, WS, Carnegie or Schleich. The same can be said of Rebor. Both Papos and Rebors generally have a lack of articulation. Now, Rebors are priced considerably higher than Papos. If Papo had the same price tag, consumers would regard them as statues.

Also, Papo is far closer to SS than Mojo. Mojo is a joke. However, SS are much larger in size than Papo. I'm not sure if size is a property exclusive to statues.

SS are also a long way above all of them in price and yet higher quality materials? that i'm not so sure? Polystone will break far more easily, drop a SS and you've got a hundred peices, i'm not so sure that's what i'd call high quality though it might be better for the paint work, though the 2 SS models i bought i soon sold on, weren't worth the money imo

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 07:12:50 PM
Ive already been involved in a thread about whether Rebor are classed as toys which imo they're not moving parts or not. But they can be whatever you want them to be, i judge it on "would i give this to a child to play with?"

Thank you petebuster1 for your support, we will take over from here.

petebuster1

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 20, 2015, 07:24:57 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 07:12:50 PM

Thank you petebuster1 for your support, we will take over from here.
cavalry arrived ;D

suspsy

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 06:53:09 PM
Petebuster1, you presented photos of the Rebor Yutyrannus, implying that it "proves" that Rebor is superior to Papo. I responded with my personal opinion that it's not really fair to compare the two companies, and remarked that I personally didn't like the statue's appearance. If you don't agree with me, fine, but there's no need for that attitude.
In paint work i believe Rebor is superior overall , my point to you is that i'm comparing them  to illustrate the paintwork differences as some people have suggested there's no difference  (in other threads) and thats the reason i started the thread, not to compare two companies as a whole

Then you should have specified that reason from the beginning. You can't assume that everyone on this forum reads each and every single thread.
the opening post did but obviously not clear enough for everyone ;) should have put paintwork in :'(

The opening post doesn't specify anything beyond your claim that people have questioned the quality of Rebor and suggested that it's no better than Papo.

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
As some have questioned the quality of Rebor and some have suggested no better than Papo here are some pics of the Y-Rex so you can judge for yourselves

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Megalosaurus

REBOR facebook states:
QuoteWe are REBOR, an UK brand designs museum class dinosaur models.

That does not mean literally statues. That sounds exactly like Battat, Invicta and Bullyland to me. So they can be classified as toys also.

I'm glad you REBOR are here, your comments are Welcome whenever you want to express your thoughs.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

petebuster1

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2015, 07:29:55 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 06:53:09 PM

The opening post doesn't specify anything beyond your claim that people have questioned the quality of Rebor and suggested that it's no better than Papo.

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 20, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
As some have questioned the quality of Rebor and some have suggested no better than Papo here are some pics of the Y-Rex so you can judge for yourselves
i answered that above, see you dont read things i'll repeat again i said above i should have said paint work

suspsy

And you're still being rude for no good reason. I'd say we're done here.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

petebuster1

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2015, 08:01:03 PM
And you're still being rude for no good reason. I'd say we're done here.
i'm merely explaining no rude intension

Horridus

I'd love to know if Papo and Rebor share a sculptor. The styles are remarkably similar, with the similarities between the Rebor Yutyrannus and Papo Allosaurus being particularly obvious (as has been pointed out a number of times already). Rebor figures have a superior paint finish and certain details are finer (especially teeth), and their figures are a little larger, but Papo have a significant price advantage.
The 'different markets' argument made by suspsy is a fair one. Rebor are deliberately setting themselves up as rivals to, if not Sideshow, then e.g. the Favorite resins, which are better researched but not as vividly detailed (and slightly more expensive). Papo's figures are toys, and they aren't pretending they're anything else.
But if I had to pick a winner? For now...Papo. But we need to wait for Rebor to bring a few more figures out.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: