News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: kreativtek on January 18, 2015, 02:17:20 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 18, 2015, 01:36:51 PM
Dicraeosaurus, Europasaurus, Nigersaurus, and Shunosaurus are also nice and little. Shunosaurus also has that awesome spiked club on its tail.

Is there any way to confirm that the Brachiosaurus did not sell well?

I don't think so. According to Everything Dinosaur, Brachiosaurus was one of the best selling sauropod figures last year.

If that is indeed the case, Papo should not hesitate in releasing a deluxe Apatosaurus (or even a Diplodocus). On a side note, I really hope Jurassic World has some Mamenchisaurus...so that Papo could be...err... inspired...but, please no Papo Juvenile Mamenchisaurus - that would just defeat the point, altogether.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 18, 2015, 03:47:16 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
Quote from: Dobber on January 18, 2015, 01:37:32 PM
Hmm, I'm a bit indifferent to this news, yes I wanted a bigger animal but I do agree that it may look good next to the SS figure. Though, I'm not sure how many people here have one  :o

As for Papo's quality, I gotta say...the much loved Allosaurus has been a huge disappointment to me. The finish on the 2 I have owned and others I have seen on the shelf are horrible and not even close to the preproduction photo's. I understand that the preproduction one will have a high highrer quality paint application, but mine are just "vague" representations of what they showed.. The pictures on TDTB are very misleading, including the in hand ones which look better than mine. Did Papo have a better quality release originally? There is a very clear demarcation line behind the skull where the upper neck part is attached. No subtle paint shift. No nice purplish tinting and very obvious dry brushing. Now their Rex and Carnotosaurus are very nice as is the Brachiosaurus...though the Brach has a very simple color scheme. Hopefully they will step up their game with later releases. Sorry for rambling a little off topic but I was curious if others have similar issues with their Allosaurus.

Chris

My Papo Allosaurus looks exactly like the stock photo. The only difference that I can think of is that the colors are a bit more faint. I think the stock image uses higher contrast in the photograph. I'm actually surprised that my Allosaurus is still standing. My Oviraptor, Running T-rex and Spinosaurus have all toppled over. I need to either buy some earthquake-proof gum or design bases for them. Papo models are generally faithful to the stock image. The only major discrepancy that I've noticed is the colors on the Oviraptor. The Oviraptor's colors are far more vibrant and rich in the stock image.

Wild Safari and Carnegie have a more difficult time replicating the stock image. Usually the quality is somewhat inferior in the final product (mostly due to sloppy paint application). Surprisingly, the Nasutoceratops and the Sauropelta appear to be significantly better than the stock image, especially the Sauropelta. The final products are masterpieces.
I had toppling problems with my running T.rex, even tried the hot water trick which worked temporarily.  Then I found the clear plastic base that he shipped with.  Stands in it no problem, can be removed easily, and it's clear so it isn't obtrusive.

I threw out my clear plastic. I learned a valuable lesson: Always keep the clear plastic for theropods! :))

Concavenator

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 18, 2015, 04:44:04 AM
If the size estimates are to be believed, then the Apato is something of a disappointment. For me the real stand out figure is the Tupuxuara. If it's as good in person as the promo shots suggest, it'll be one of my top figures of 2015, along with the CollectA Tyrannosaurus.
Well,the Tupuxuara is a good model,but the lack of fur really is off putting.For that matter,I think the best of the three pterosaur models coming this year,is clearly the CollectA Guidraco.It's more accurate,and looks more striking for my taste,but guess these are opinions after all  :P
Also,why people keep calling Papo's figure a 'juvenile'?  :P It's being said several times that it is an adult,but made in a smaller scale than the rest.I'm personally happy abput these news,I don't have that much space left for figures in my collection.It has a good size imo.Also,ED saud we'll see these two models in real life pics this week.

sauroid

the CollectA Guidraco is cool and all but the funny clown hat crest is off putting, so Papo Tupux wins for me.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 18, 2015, 03:53:43 PM
If the size estimates are to be believed, then the Apato is something of a disappointment. For me the real stand out figure is the Tupuxuara. If it's as good in person as the promo shots suggest, it'll be one of my top figures of 2015, along with the CollectA Tyrannosaurus.
Well,the Tupuxuara is a good model,but the lack of fur really is off putting.For that matter,I think the best of the three pterosaur models coming this year,is clearly the CollectA Guidraco.It's more accurate,and looks more striking for my taste,but guess these are opinions after all  :P
Also,why people keep calling Papo's figure a 'juvenile'?  :P It's being said several times that it is an adult,but made in a smaller scale than the rest.I'm personally happy abput these news,I don't have that much space left for figures in my collection.It has a good size imo.Also,ED saud we'll see these two models in real life pics this week.

I guess it is an adolescent Apato :) The Guidraco is pretty awesome, the size alone, makes it a must-buy. However, the Papo Tupax is more 'lifelike' (it is inspired by SS, after all). Maybe one of the modders in the forum can apply some fur.

suspsy

I also use the clear plastic piece for my RTR. Funny thing is, after a few days of wearing it, he stands fine on his own for awhile, then one day he'll topple over again.

I really, REALLY hope the new CollectA Feathered T. Rex doesn't have this problem!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Because it was first said to be a juvenile animal when we first heard about it..that and our hopes for an "adult"even though this one looks like a scaled down adult.

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2015, 04:08:03 PM

I guess it is an adolescent Apato :) The Guidraco is pretty awesome, the size alone, makes it a must-buy. However, the Papo Tupax is more 'lifelike' (it is inspired by SS, after all). Maybe one of the modders in the forum can apply some fur.

The crest on the Guidraco is easily fixed in 30 seconds with a brush and some craft paint.  I'll show you when I get mine eventually.

Fixing the Tupu would be a bit more difficult..but not impossible. A little epoxy sculpt and it could be made nice and fuzzy.

Dobber

Ok here are a few pictures of my Allosaurus. Every Allosaurus I've actually seen, meaning not from a photo, looked like this. If the paint from the head would've continued down the body as the stock photo's show I'd have been blown away!  :-\  Instead there is the obvious quality shift at the neck area where the upper neck piece attaches to the body.

Now I agree with some of the compairisons between Papo and Rebor...they both take some liberties with their sculpts and both seem to be JP inspired. I will give Rebor 1 thing over just about every company....including Sideshow, and that is what you see is what you get. They may be a little more expensive than Papo but what they show in their photo's is pretty much what you can expect your item to look like. Their paint application is second to none....in terms of mass market production.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just looked at mine, bought it when t hey first came out. One side looks like it matches more while the other under the chin is more bare.  The body on yours looks really bare bones though like they ran out of greenish paint for it.

mpchi

Quote from: Dobber on January 18, 2015, 06:05:02 PM
Ok here are a few pictures of my Allosaurus. Every Allosaurus I've actually seen, meaning not from a photo, looked like this. If the paint from the head would've continued down the body as the stock photo's show I'd have been blown away!  :-\  Instead there is the obvious quality shift at the neck area where the upper neck piece attaches to the body.

Now I agree with some of the compairisons between Papo and Rebor...they both take some liberties with their sculpts and both seem to be JP inspired. I will give Rebor 1 thing over just about every company....including Sideshow, and that is what you see is what you get. They may be a little more expensive than Papo but what they show in their photo's is pretty much what you can expect your item to look like. Their paint application is second to none....in terms of mass market production.

Chris

Unfortunately, yours is not a good sample. Just saw like 7-8 of these side by side at a local shop couple days ago, they all look better than this. More transition colors and black paint less splotchy. However, they have other issues in different areas, or the nicer ones came with broken toe nails. So I passed on it eventually. But this is not the first time I see bad paint job on allosaurus either. They varied more so than other Papos, seems like. Which is why I still haven't pick up one, until I see one painted nicely in person to buy.

amanda

I bought mine when it first came out and it looks just like the stock pics. All of the ones on the shelf were identical, with no warping or broken pieces, and mine stands on it's own to this day.

Dobber

You guys a fortunate then, having earlier samples with good finishes. As I said all the ones I've seen (5-7) looked like this.  :-[

If any of you decide to sell your good sample Allosaurus, it would probably be a good idea to mention you have a good quality sample.  ;)

Hope the theoretical Giganatosaurus has a good finish.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tyrantqueen

I said "MY" top figures. That indicates my own personal preferences.

Concavenator

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 18, 2015, 09:17:06 PM
I said "MY" top figures. That indicates my own personal preferences.
Ok,sorry.

amanda

Comparing the papo trike's body to the Dinostoreus Apato statue, it would then seem the new papo figure would be about that size? That's not a bad size at all....

dragon53

So is Papo's young Apatosaurus meant to be a prelude to an adult Apatosaurus?

mpchi

Quote from: dragon53 on January 18, 2015, 10:36:25 PM
So is Papo's young Apatosaurus meant to be a prelude to an adult Apatosaurus?
No. Just denial/wishful thinking at the moment, unfortunately.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amanda on January 18, 2015, 10:33:57 PM
Comparing the papo trike's body to the Dinostoreus Apato statue, it would then seem the new papo figure would be about that size? That's not a bad size at all....

It's actually a bit smaller as I compared it to mine. The statue is around 20" while the Papo piece is 14 and half inches. If you take into account the tail being slightly curled and the head looking back I'd ballpark 17". So no not a bad size but in scale in with last Carnegie Brachiosaur either...maybe more like the Wild Safari piece?

sauroid

maybe the newer Allosaurus stocks have this issue. mine which i got a few years ago looks fine thankfully.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

dragon53

Can anyone make a comparison between the Wild Safari Apatosaurus (13.7 inches long) and the Papo Apatosaurus?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: