News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Almost seems fair to suggest that much like dinosaurs, which are not extinct thanks to birds, that megaladon itself is not extinct thanks to the Great white shark....is that fair to state or oversimplified? You could perhaps argue there is no proof that megladons are extinct if this is the case
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

It might be an oversimplification of sorts. Avian dinosaurs and non-avian dinosaurs are not phenotypical equivalents, while, C.megalodon (in theory) and great whites are, in essence, phenotypical equivalents...they are functionally identical and share the same social circle/network.....I don't know...perhaps, it is a quirk in the matrix...like why crocodiles are (and always will be) still here and frogs are resilient to extinction (despite being sensitive environmental indices) and that non-avian dinosaurs are supposedly susceptible to death by means of calamity.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Victorias Cantina on June 29, 2015, 10:43:54 PM
CityRaptor... thank you! I take it you follow me on YouTube?

Huh? No, I actually meant the new REBOR representative, who mentioned being a Miss in an earlier post.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Arul

I have been waiting for this for so long and finally the "oddities series", the fossil of tylosaurus replica. So beautiful...thank you rebor when the price reveal i will start to saving my money whatever it takes. They said "slim, light, portable, designed to be either displayed on the shelf or hung on the wall, just everything you need :)"

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 01, 2015, 07:55:09 AM
Almost seems fair to suggest that much like dinosaurs, which are not extinct thanks to birds, that megaladon itself is not extinct thanks to the Great white shark....is that fair to state or oversimplified? You could perhaps argue there is no proof that megladons are extinct if this is the case
Dinosaurs are a group of animals.  Those two sharks are two different species of animal.  C. megalodon is extinct while the Great white shark - Carcharodon carcharias - isn't extinct.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Sim on July 01, 2015, 03:22:50 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 01, 2015, 07:55:09 AM
Dinosaurs are a group of animals.  Those two sharks are two different species of animal.  C. megalodon is extinct while the Great white shark - Carcharodon carcharias - isn't extinct.
err see that is the precise problem with the thinking....we dont KNOW what a C. Megaladon is or is not , we have some teeth and verts, and nothing more. Is it not just as possible that one is a more derived form of the other? Aside from which we have explored far less of the ocean than we have outer space...how could we possibly assume that megaladon is extinct....is there some form of proof for this, given we cannot prove what is or is not a megaladon based on the materials we have?We infer they would be extinct yes , but we cannot prove it .....would that not then make Megaladon a cryptid?
    That at least as I understand it is the state of things.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

The scientific consensus is C. megalodon and C. carcharias are different species of shark, even if they end up being in the same genus.  I've never seen it proposed that the two sharks are the same species.  What isn't agreed on is what genus to put C. megalodon in.  From its fossils it can be identified as a distinct species of shark, different from other extinct and extant sharks.

Given what's known about C. megalodon's feeding habits and other behaviour, and its size, if it were still alive I'm confident we'd know this.  E.g.: Through seeing whale carcasses with bites from the shark / seeing the shark attack whales.  The scientific consensus is C. megalodon is extinct.  I can't think of any reason that could explain it still being alive and this not being known.

DinoToyForum

Please stay on topic or start a new thread. C:-) Thanks!

tanystropheus

Quote from: ARUL on July 01, 2015, 03:00:15 PM
I have been waiting for this for so long and finally the "oddities series", the fossil of tylosaurus replica. So beautiful...thank you rebor when the price reveal i will start to saving my money whatever it takes. They said "slim, light, portable, designed to be either displayed on the shelf or hung on the wall, just everything you need :)"

This is gorgeous!

I think a 2-headed Hyphalosaurus would also make a good candidate for the Oddities line

http://www.newscientist.com//data/images/ns/cms/dn10827/dn10827-1_250.jpg

stargatedalek

We do know, 100%, that C. megalodon is extinct. It was a coastal animal, it fed on pinnipeds and small cetaceans, and the relative abundance of fossilized teeth cease entirely a very long time ago. This was not an animal that was adapted for feeding or surviving in the open ocean let alone in the deep ocean, given this and the lack of any recent fossil material it is safe to say that C. megalodon is once and truly extinct. If anything we have more reason to think megalodon is extinct than we do icthyosaurs, since we can narrow megalodon down by habitat and we know why it went extinct (cooler oceans and evolution of smarter cetaceans (orca namely).

*edit*
The mosasaur skeleton looks very nice and I think it would look gorgeous mounted on a wall. I agree with the idea of a two headed Hyphalosaurus, perhaps suspended in a jar.

Shonisaurus

The hyphalosaurus  is that prehistoric creature with two heads, even a mistake of nature would be interesting to picture that the company animal Rebor if only as the skeleton of mosasaurus

It is a creature out of the ordinary as animals born with extra limbs today. Although no longer a genetic error.

Arul

Just check hyphalosaurus on google and yeah thats look so weird, maybe its a genetic error that time because i found one head hyphalosaurus on google too hehehe

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Mosa skeleton looks nice..wonder how big/much it is?

CityRaptor

Quote from: ARUL on July 01, 2015, 11:19:30 PM
Just check hyphalosaurus on google and yeah thats look so weird, maybe its a genetic error that time because i found one head hyphalosaurus on google too hehehe

Yes, one head is normal. There are many fossils of that species. The two-headed one is a case of polycephaly. Indeed it is the oldest known case.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

indominus rex

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 01, 2015, 07:42:03 AM
Quote from: indominus rex on July 01, 2015, 01:00:53 AM
I think it's generally accepted that Megaladon looks like a Great White Shark, mainly because of it's teeth. However that might not be the case, personally I don't think we'll ever 100% know and the idea of a 20 meter Great White Shark is accepted by most paleontologists and the evidence suggests that it could exactly that.

I'm also curious if Rebor is going to base there Mosasaur off the one in Jurassic World or look completely different, either way it should be awesome.

Personally I'm wanting a more Jurassic World styled Mosasaur since I love the movies take on the creature.

Perhaps, REBOR will make a Mosasaur that is somewhere in-between JW and the Sideshow depiction. I hope they don't make it heavy on scales or scutes and give it some semblance to a monitor. If they can make the Sideshow model appear intimidating...that might work as well. It is said to be 50 cm in length (Is this even 1/35 scale?). What species of Mosasaur would conform to 1/35 scale 50 cm length? I think the JW version was upscaled...

I think that they are using the size of the Mosasaur in Jurassic World since in the film it is 60 feet long.

Arul

still no information for rebor marine reptile scale/size..

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ARUL on July 02, 2015, 04:30:18 AM
Or Acro in color... *sigh* Still holding out for a hero here.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: indominus rex on July 02, 2015, 02:17:12 AM
I think that they are using the size of the Mosasaur in Jurassic World since in the film it is 60 feet long.
It is way longer than 60 feet in JW, the website is wrong.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arul

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 02, 2015, 05:02:43 AM
August for the herooo

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ARUL on July 02, 2015, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 02, 2015, 05:02:43 AM
August for the herooo
August for his release.  We're still waiting on the color images. ;)
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: