News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 28, 2015, 05:51:03 AM
Quote from: ARUL on June 28, 2015, 05:45:55 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 28, 2015, 01:37:35 AM
Quote from: indominus rex on June 28, 2015, 01:18:24 AM
I love that Rebor is making a Mosasaur and I can't wait for the reveal of it and I hope that the next sea reptile that they do is a liopleurodon, especially if it looks like the Walking with Dinosaurs version, any thoughts or opinions on this.
The WWD Liopleurodon is outdated. Here is a more accurate Liopleurodon:

Ohh so collecta and safari liopleurodon is outdated too ?
The Collecta is yes, but the Safari is actually quite accurate (not sure about the skin texture though), however it is missing a tail fin.

I really like the Safari version. I wished the skin texture was more like the Carnegie Tylo, though.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 28, 2015, 07:01:00 AM

I really like the Safari version. I wished the skin texture was more like the Carnegie Tylo, though.
As do I.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

I am sure you all realize that our own Doug Watson sculpted that figure and even more that our own Dr. Admin consulted for it to verify its accuracy .

I keep watching the animal in that video, I assume it is a mosaurus, but it does not seem to be the Jurassic World one? Isnt it supposed to have the palatine teeth or am I misunderstanding what I am watching?Is it perhaps a liopleurodon and then would not have the inner rows of teeth like a mosasaurus? Not that good with marine reptiles and just curious
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 28, 2015, 07:23:37 AM
I am sure you all realize that our own Doug Watson sculpted that figure and even more that our own Dr. Admin consulted for it to verify its accuracy .

I keep watching the animal in that video, I assume it is a mosaurus, but it does not seem to be the Jurassic World one? Isnt it supposed to have the palatine teeth or am I misunderstanding what I am watching?

I think that Video is from Sea Monsters, the Documentary by National Geographic. That animal is Tylosaurus

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on June 28, 2015, 07:27:43 AM

I keep watching the animal in that video, I assume it is a mosaurus, but it does not seem to be the Jurassic World one? Isnt it supposed to have the palatine teeth or am I misunderstanding what I am watching?

I think that Video is from Sea Monsters, the Documentary by National Geographic. That animal is Tylosaurus
so perhaps tylosaurus Proriger, and a mosasaurus that should have palatine teeth ....?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 28, 2015, 07:30:11 AM

so perhaps tylosaurus Proriger, and a mosasaurus that should have palatine teeth ....?

The Animals in that video are Tylosaurus, Dolychrinchops, and Critoxyria(I cant spell that)   Yes the Tylo Seems to lack Palatine Teeth. I outa watch that later to see whats up with that.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 28, 2015, 07:30:11 AM

It is, and I agree, it is odd that the pterygoid teeth are absent.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Sim

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 28, 2015, 07:03:05 AM

As do I.
Yes, the Safari Liopleurodon is great, although I would've liked it more if its skin was more like that of the Carnegie Tylo or the Invicta marine reptiles.

The WS Liopleurodon is definitely one of the best pliosauroid figures.  In his Dino Toy Blog review of it, Dr. Admin pointed out a couple of things that might not be accurate: http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/02/03/liopleurodon-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd/  I don't find its skin plausible for an animal that needed to be as streamlined and efficient as possible.  Its skin also doesn't seem to be like what plesiosaurian skin is known to be like - smooth, without apparent scales but with small wrinkles.

Based on the current evidence, I think most, if not all, plesiosaurians had a tail fin.  Dr. Admin's paper on evidence for a tail fin on Rhomaleosaurus and other plesiosaurians is very interesting and informative about this topic!  I seem to remember Dr. Admin saying he suggested a tail fin for the WS Liopleurodon and/or Elasmosaurus but Safari didn't want to do it.  I might be wrong though.

indominus rex

I just had a thought, Rebor said that they were going to do a special fan club line of models were scientific accuracy can be thrown out the window so if enough people would want it, Rebor could make either a scientifically accurate model or a WWD version depending on what the fans want.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 28, 2015, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 28, 2015, 07:03:05 AM

As do I.
Yes, the Safari Liopleurodon is great, although I would've liked it more if its skin was more like that of the Carnegie Tylo or the Invicta marine reptiles.

The WS Liopleurodon is definitely one of the best pliosauroid figures.  In his Dino Toy Blog review of it, Dr. Admin pointed out a couple of things that might not be accurate: http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/02/03/liopleurodon-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd/  I don't find its skin plausible for an animal that needed to be as streamlined and efficient as possible.  Its skin also doesn't seem to be like what plesiosaurian skin is known to be like - smooth, without apparent scales but with small wrinkles.

Based on the current evidence, I think most, if not all, plesiosaurians had a tail fin.  Dr. Admin's paper on evidence for a tail fin on Rhomaleosaurus and other plesiosaurians is very interesting and informative about this topic!  I seem to remember Dr. Admin saying he suggested a tail fin for the WS Liopleurodon and/or Elasmosaurus but Safari didn't want to do it.  I might be wrong though.

So they do not walk at all misguided regarding marine reptiles such as tylosaurus cited and elasmosaurus the paleoartísticas realizads reconstructions in the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century. So the tail fin would be a wise version and should be discarded newer versions that were poured into these animals.

Sim

I don't completely understand what you said, Shonisaurus..  :-\

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 29, 2015, 12:52:48 PM

Sim was referring to the reconstructions we thought outdated treasury of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries marine reptiles were not a reconstruction of date as discussed in the following paragraph on the basis of current evidence, I think most, if not all, plesiosaurians They had a tail fin. So that marine reptiles have tail fin and so are these creatures had been representing several paleoartísticas recreations especially plesiosauroid.

Definitely not going misguided old paleoartists in relferencia to marine reptiles had tail fin.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 29, 2015, 03:04:27 PM
Quote from: Sim on June 29, 2015, 12:52:48 PM

Sim was referring to the reconstructions we thought outdated treasury of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries marine reptiles were not a reconstruction of date as discussed in the following paragraph on the basis of current evidence, I think most, if not all, plesiosaurians They had a tail fin. So that marine reptiles have tail fin and so are these creatures had been representing several paleoartísticas recreations especially plesiosauroid.

Definitely not going misguided old paleoartists in relferencia to marine reptiles had tail fin.
Sorry, I don't understand either. You're not making any sense :-\

Shonisaurus

I refer to this link with nineteenth-century illustration link look illustration is the nineteenth century: What http://www.vistaalmar.es/ciencia-tecnologia/fosiles-marinos/3690-plesiosaurios-por-la-cola.html I mean that illustrators of the nineteenth century were not misled with the fin on the tail of plesiosaurus were visionaries.

I pass the English translation of the content of that page that you forgive the ball well but it does not come in English:

Some plesiosaurs may have had fins in the tail
The bones do not lie. But they are not telling the whole truth. Certainly not for prehistoric creatures. Stone bones paleontologists are constantly researching and scrutinizing in museum collections are often the only clues to the meat of animals that have long since lost. Put the meat back in the frame depends on osteological remaining scars, furrows, depressions and other clues that bear witness to the close relationship between the soft tissues and skeletons.

Not all tracks are equally easy to read. In the nineteenth century, when paleontology was still a science in its infancy, artists and researchers often looked impressive ornate Irish Elk as having a relatively flat collar backwards held at a right angle with the rest of the body. It was not until much later that the discovery of prehistoric cave paintings naturalists showed what they had missed. These spines were anchors for ligaments and muscles that attach to the back of the head herbivore. Connective tissue and bone created a prominent hump and, as noted paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould in an essay on the hoofed, not a huge deer had an erect neck as examples represent the Classic skeleton. If you believe the paintings, the hump was present in both sexes and prominently reddish brown. Early paleontologists had not the advantage of removing the Irish Elk of life, of course, but the conservative tradition of illustrating prehistoric creatures placed firmly on her skin was dark skeletons a striking feature of the living animal.

Per paintings not only go so far. Back to the last Ice Age, more or less. Given that our species and the last of the non-avian dinosaurs were separated by 66 million years, we can be sure that there is no hope of finding Tyrannosaurus painted on a wall of a cave somewhere, no matter what they say fundamentalists religious. Plesiosaurs are in the same situation. These marine reptiles flourished in the seas while dinosaurs ruled the earth. That is why often in packs of plastic prehistoric animals and in the continual frustration of vertebrate paleontologists, often confused with dinosaurs. And in these representations, plesiosaurs often have a uniform appearance. Since the early nineteenth century were regarded as something like "a snake that passes through the body of a turtle" with their tails little more than a cylindrical appendix apparently had crawled behind the animals as rigid pieces of spaghetti. This may not have been. Some plesiosaurs may have had fins on the tail.

From the moment the Victorian naturalist William Conybeare painted a plesiosaur based on a nearly complete skeleton in 1824, it has been unclear how these reptiles are propelled through the seas. Plesiosaurs of all types - from small head and long neck others with a large head and short neck - fluttered and flew through the water with its four large fins. So swimming was completely different from the way most other lineages of marine reptiles that were side by side like fish. The plesiosaurioss must have been beautiful, elegant swimmers. And with such prominent palettes, there was no role for their seemingly cylindrical tails.

Dames Seeleyosaurus

But in 1895 the German paleontologist Wilhelm Dames reported something strange. Around the body of a plesiosaur, which he called Seeleyosaurus guilelmiimperatoris, Dames reported two spots that appeared to be curious remnants of soft tissue of the plesiosaur. One, on the trailing edge flap appeared to be part of the right front wing plesiosaur. The other was a stain on the roughly triangular left and around the tail stone.

Dames took curious as faithful fossil remains of soft tissues in the plesiosaur. Along with the skeleton, he published a living restoration Seeleyosaurus with a diamond-shaped tail and a smile wicked. But attempts to paleontologists to see what it looked Dames have been stagnant for the simple fact of historic preservation. For some reason, when I seemed to have forgotten, the possible remains of soft tissue were painted. But eliminating the layers that hide is a risk of elimination of tantalizing evidence below.

It not described any other plesiosaur with soft tissue such tracks. While some artists and paleontologists to Seeleyosaurus Dames took as a sign to speculate on the tail fins for other plesiosaurs, the model has prevailed tail pipe. But instead of exceptional preservation, osteological clues may hint at what was lost in the sea of ​​the Mesozoic.

At the meeting of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology in 2010 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Benjamin Wilhelm described a case of bone tracks in the tail fins of a plesiosaur. Again and again, marine reptiles with tail fins upright - like ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs and seagoing crocodiles - developed a similar set of skeletal characteristics to support soft tissue flaps. Even better, sometimes notable sites have preserved outlines of these flukes among other marine reptiles. From this set of tests, Wilhelm identifies skeletal features that are consistent with a tail fin in the skeletons of plesiosaurs Cryptoclidus and muraenosaurus. The vertebrae are compressed from side to side near the end of the tail and vertebral bones that change direction to create a kind of rounded hump, are among the shared characteristics of plesiosaurs with other marine reptiles with wings in tail.

Rhomaleosaurus cramptoni

Adam Smith has added another possible candidate for the list of plesiosaurs with tail fins. In a recent publication in Paludicola Smith argues that Rhomaleosaurus - a plesiosaur with a relatively large skull and neck of medium length - had two characteristics consistent with a tail fin. In addition to a "node" two vertebrae shortened, where the flap supposedly started, the Rhomaleosaurus had a set of compressed vertebrae in the tail tip. The reconstruction included in the document shows a plesiosaur with a mediocre rounded caudal fin, but a tail fin anyway.

The problem with this type of plesiosaur that the queue is not adapted for propulsion to the same extent as ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs, marine crocodiles are known to have tail fins. Were the Rhomaleosaurus highly compressed vertebrae to hold a fin, or They seemed short and square only because they were near the end of the line? For muraenosaurus Cryptoclidus and neither was proper bone anatomy and stand as prominent tail fin and other marine reptiles. And with other Seeleyosaurus surrounded lis painting, there is currently no way to know if the plesiosaur truly had a tail fin or why it evolved an appendix.

Like the old images of Irish Elk with high necks, however, visions of plesiosaurs with tail fins offer a hypothesis. The same is true for all restorations and reconstructions of prehistoric life. Even the full sample is missing, either bones or animal behaviors, are only made in life. Other findings will test what has been deducted and assumed so far. Plesiosaurs for the resolution corresponds to the constant search of its kind in the rocks lifted out of the reach of the sea. Perhaps if the geological luck is with us, there plesiosaurs buried with shreds of soft tissue complex enough to prove visions drawn from your bones.

References:

Dames, W. 1895. Die Süddeutsche plesiosaurier der Liasformation. Abhandlungen Königlich Preussischen der Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin 1895: 1st ¢ â,¬â € œ81.

Smith, A. 2013. Morphology of the caudal vertebrae in Rhomaleosaurus zetlandicus and a review of the evidence for a tail fin in Plesiosauria. Paludicola. 9, 3: 144-158

Wilhelm, B. 2010. Novel anatomy of cryptoclidid plesiosaurs With comments on axial locomotion. M.S. thesis, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia, 76 pp.

Victoria's Cantina

Between the Yutyrannus and the Ceratosaurus, which is generally considered to be the better item? I know the Cerato has standing issues, but I'm kind of torn as far as which I should go with as my next REBOR model.

Takama

Quote from: Victorias Cantina on June 29, 2015, 09:38:39 PM
Between the Yutyrannus and the Ceratosaurus, which is generally considered to be the better item? I know the Cerato has standing issues, but I'm kind of torn as far as which I should go with as my next REBOR model.

WEll as far as i know The Yutyrannus has fewer problems then the Ceratosaurus when it comes to warpage.

But the Ceratoesaurus is more Accurate of the two models. The Yutyarrnus is Severely under feathered and the explanation Rebor gave for it is bogus (It did not go through Winter and Summer stages by shedding all of its feathers to reveal Scales).    All in all, it depends on your tastes, and rather or not you want to do some Tweaking to your figures

CityRaptor

Well, the Ceratosaurus has those issues, but the Yutyrannus is highly inaccurate.  The former REBOR representative claimed that it was molting, a Summer Version,  but that does not work like that. It's a genetically engineered theme park monster.

Which reminds me:

Welcome to the forum, Miss REBOR!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Victoria's Cantina

Thank you guys for the information. I'm quite novice when it comes to REBOR. I've collected Papo models for years and have been very happy with them. So I was quite disappointed when my Utahraptor's arm fell out and the figure began to sag so much that it looked like it was jumping into the ground.

It sounds like the Ceratosaurus might be more my cup of tea, and I love the display base it comes with. But I'm genuinely concerned about another situation where I have a beautifully sculpted and decorated model, but it won't function as it should. Do we know if all REBOR Ceratosaurs have this issue? I'm also sort of considering the King T-Rex even though it's obviously not the most accurate version out there.

CityRaptor... thank you! I take it you follow me on YouTube?

Takama

Quote from: Victorias Cantina on June 29, 2015, 10:43:54 PM
Thank you guys for the information. I'm quite novice when it comes to REBOR. I've collected Papo models for years and have been very happy with them. So I was quite disappointed when my Utahraptor's arm fell out and the figure began to sag so much that it looked like it was jumping into the ground.

It sounds like the Ceratosaurus might be more my cup of tea, and I love the display base it comes with. But I'm genuinely concerned about another situation where I have a beautifully sculpted and decorated model, but it won't function as it should. Do we know if all Ceratosaurus dinos have this issue? I'm also sort of considering the King T-Rex even though it's obviously not the most accurate version out there.

CityRaptor... thank you! I take it you follow me on YouTube?

As far as i know, All Ceratosaurs suffer. The Tyrannosaurus has SOME issues with stability on its rock, but Rebor is making a new Base for it, which is basically a Dead Triceratops

Victoria's Cantina

Thank you. I've seen that image somewhere, and I think they said they were adding another piece to it. I love dinosaur models, but I'm not too fond of dead dinos. If I bought the T-Rex, I don't know that this is a base I'd want to purchase.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: