News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

and that is how conversations are conducted on facebook.
im surprised that REBOR havnt blocked their troll-haters yet. to be fair, they seem to be for freedom of speech/open exchange of opinions.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

The Atroxious

Quote from: sauroid on September 20, 2016, 10:29:17 AM
and that is how conversations are conducted on facebook.
im surprised that REBOR havnt blocked their troll-haters yet. to be fair, they seem to be for freedom of speech/open exchange of opinions.

I agree. The Rebor guys are, I think, simply a different generation than the big companies we're used to seeing, and have a different business model. I'm guessing it's a small group of guys in their 20s and 30s who have used Facebook since their adolescence. They're used to being informal on social media, and it's hard to break away from that. I don't even know if they want to be the sort of big business guys who are all professional formality either, but I don't think they need to be. The point is that they're still learning how to handle the PR side of their business, and I do think it's worth noting that they didn't call Austin Wood names, and that they responded very politely when he stopped insulting them.

Dobber

Quote from: The Atroxious on September 20, 2016, 05:39:27 AM
I wouldn't even call what Rebor was doing "bullying". Austin Wood baited them, Rebor posted some mildly snarky but otherwise inoffensive comebacks, Austin Wood kept on screaming insults at them, and he finally said he'd leave them alone if they made a toy he wanted. He was using a tactic well known to spoiled children across the world, to scream and kick up a fuss until mommy or daddy give in to your demands. In Rebor's defense, they never cursed at or called the kid names. Sure, maybe there were more professional ways of handling the situation, but at the same time, Rebor does seem to be handling criticism better than they did in the past. Rome wasn't built in a day, and a bunch of young guys who sculpt dinosaurs don't learn how to run a company smoothly in a day either. At least it looks like they're trying to be less offensive.

While I'm no REBOR supporter, I agree with this. Should they have just ignored the kid? Sure....but they didn't go over the top. I actually surprised by how many people here are pissing on REBOR in this case. The kid started it and continued to fan it. HE is clearly in the wrong and is not a victim. IMO, the main thing REBOR did wrong was bringing it to everyone's attention, they may not have gone overboard themselves, but they should be more professional and just either ignor it or diplomatically respond if the needed to respond. Sorry, I just don't feel bad for the kid.  :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

pylraster

Indeed. While Rebor was also wrong, the kid's actions shouldn't be justified solely because he's 15. You all read his offensive language. How can that ever be right?

Doug Watson

It seems I was raised differently, I was told not to hit a girl, don't pick on someone smaller than you and definitely do not pick on someone younger than you and that was how I was told to act as a child. That was the definition of bullying. Did you all read the entire conversation? It seems to have been edited now since there was one particular post by REBOR that told the kid to "Shut up and F--- Off!" I can't use the actual word here because I would get sanctioned. They also piled on when their fans or other posters went after him for example: the Picard GIF. The kid got mad when they took a screen shot of his first post and reposted it. From the content of that post he was upset that they had attacked someone else who had criticized one of their pieces. I am not crazy about the kid's actions or language but I understood it since he was 15. It is true he seems to have started swearing first but then with the apparent edit it is hard to tell. But then again he is a kid I can expect that from him. From what I hear around here the F word is becoming part of regular vocabulary amongst the young. Where I draw the line as an adult is I don't verbally abuse or goad on a kid. If I have a problem with a child I will talk to the parent. In the case of something online if I got into something like this with someone and then discovered they were 15, I would simply drop it, that is called being an adult for crying out loud. I have seen negative comments about products on other companies' FaceBook pages and usually they are left on without comment from the company (as long as they aren't vulgar). As I have mentioned there are some fragile kids online that can't handle bullying and being a parent I find it very disturbing that some people are not sensitive to that especially a Company. Anyway this is all off topic for the thread so I will drop it from my end.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 20, 2016, 03:56:26 PM
It seems I was raised differently, I was told not to hit a girl, don't pick on someone smaller than you and definitely do not pick on someone younger than you and that was how I was told to act as a child. That was the definition of bullying. Did you all read the entire conversation? It seems to have been edited now since there was one particular post by REBOR that told the kid to "Shut up and F--- Off!" I can't use the actual word here because I would get sanctioned. They also piled on when their fans or other posters went after him for example: the Picard GIF. The kid got mad when they took a screen shot of his first post and reposted it. From the content of that post he was upset that they had attacked someone else who had criticized one of their pieces. I am not crazy about the kid's actions or language but I understood it since he was 15. It is true he seems to have started swearing first but then with the apparent edit it is hard to tell. But then again he is a kid I can expect that from him. From what I hear around here the F word is becoming part of regular vocabulary amongst the young. Where I draw the line as an adult is I don't verbally abuse or goad on a kid. If I have a problem with a child I will talk to the parent. In the case of something online if I got into something like this with someone and then discovered they were 15, I would simply drop it, that is called being an adult for crying out loud. I have seen negative comments about products on other companies' FaceBook pages and usually they are left on without comment from the company (as long as they aren't vulgar). As I have mentioned there are some fragile kids online that can't handle bullying and being a parent I find it very disturbing that some people are not sensitive to that especially a Company. Anyway this is all off topic for the thread so I will drop it from my end.

I totally agree with you, Doug Watson.

That company is continually disrespected. They said that 15-year fills the measure of patience. It is incomprehensible that a company purporting to be tall dinosaur that behavior so rude.

From my honest view is indefensible that attitude by the company Rebor.

Rain

No , that's incorrect. That was an older post that the kid posted, in which REBOR responded to someone entirely different. With that said, I do agree with you. While I don't feel any pity for the kid, I still think it's wrong. REBOR should've just ignored it entirely, they had no way of knowing how he'd react.

pylraster

Yup it was a different post. Anyway we should move on as it's getting off-topic.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Rain on September 20, 2016, 04:09:02 PM

No , that's incorrect. That was an older post that the kid posted, in which REBOR responded to someone entirely different. With that said, I do agree with you. While I don't feel any pity for the kid, I still think it's wrong. REBOR should've just ignored it entirely, they had no way of knowing how he'd react.

Exactly, you can answer but in a more normal and adult manner.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Rain on September 20, 2016, 04:09:02 PM

Okay I will take you at your word since I really don't want to go back there and look for it and it doesn't change the rest of my opinion. The other dark side of Facebook is we only see what is posted we do not see personal messages that may be sent back and forth.
Having said that and in an effort to move on I have no axe to grind with REBOR even though they did attack me here for no other reason than others held my work up as an example. I actually admire the artistic work of their sculptor or sculptors I just do not admire the way they treat their detractors.

suspsy

I know I declared I was finished responding in this thread, but I just had to publicly thank Doug for this post. Needless to say, he's 100% right.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

The Atroxious

It seems you and I are seeing the whole situation very differently, Doug. Personally, I see a kid who went on the attack because he intended to exert control over Rebor by harassing them into making the toy he wanted. I don't believe the Rebor representative was being a bully specifically because they never attacked Austin Wood's character. I've seen internet bullying, and I've seen people who behaved worse than Austin Wood did get bullied, and I don't wish that on my worst enemy, but because Rebor never engaged in personal attacks, I don't consider it bullying.

Perhaps we were raised differently. I was raised to respect people, and to stand up for those in need, and if at any point I felt that Austin Wood had backed down, and Rebor kept coming after him despite this, I wouldn't be defending them. The thing is, I was also taught that it is okay to defend yourself, even if it is against someone younger than you.

On a semi-related note (and I mean no disrespect to you by saying this) as a female, I always felt a bit condescended to when people speak of how one shouldn't hit a girl. If one wishes to be polite, they should not be hitting anyone, regardless of gender. Having taken part in martial arts, I could always tell which guys were holding back when paired up with me, and it drove me slightly bonkers. I understand this may well be a generational thing, but I prefer to be treated as a person first and foremost, with my gender being incidental, defining me no more than the color of my hair does. This has gotten quite off-topic as you say, however, so I digress.

Doug Watson

Quote from: The Atroxious on September 20, 2016, 10:10:56 PM
Perhaps we were raised differently. I was raised to respect people, and to stand up for those in need, and if at any point I felt that Austin Wood had backed down, and Rebor kept coming after him despite this, I wouldn't be defending them. The thing is, I was also taught that it is okay to defend yourself, even if it is against someone younger than you.

On a semi-related note (and I mean no disrespect to you by saying this) as a female, I always felt a bit condescended to when people speak of how one shouldn't hit a girl. If one wishes to be polite, they should not be hitting anyone, regardless of gender. Having taken part in martial arts, I could always tell which guys were holding back when paired up with me, and it drove me slightly bonkers. I understand this may well be a generational thing, but I prefer to be treated as a person first and foremost, with my gender being incidental, defining me no more than the color of my hair does. This has gotten quite off-topic as you say, however, so I digress.

I was also raised to respect people and stand up for the weak.

I also studied Tae Kwon Do and reached a high level along with my wife. In our sparring the intent was to come as close as possible without hitting, showing technique and restraint but I have known and sparred with many women who could kick many a man's behind. But that is with special training I am sorry but as a rule men are larger and stronger than women (with some exceptions) so even in these days of equality I don't believe it is sexist to say a man should not hit a woman and of course the best thing to do is not hit at all but this is reality not never never land. The point I was trying to make was not to pick on a weaker opponent man or woman, period!

tyrantqueen

QuoteBut that is with special training I am sorry but as a rule men are larger and stronger than women (with some exceptions) so even in these days of equality I don't believe it is sexist to say a man should not hit a woman and of course the best thing to do is not hit at all but this is reality not never never land.

This all is true.

pylraster

Almost tempted to post a pic of Michael Jackson eating popcorn here, but nah.

stargatedalek

Quote from: pylraster on September 21, 2016, 09:46:02 AM
I see your Michael Jackson and raise you one Takane.

Both of these topics have come up before and did not end well, but before this escalates further into a potentially offending direction as similar discussion has in the past I feel I should step in and say that Doug is right both in his general assessment of the situation, and his assertion that his generalizations were just that, generalizations.

On both of these very off-topic notes I present one more, has there been any thought of adding a spoiler tag to the forums? It could help to prevent brief off-topic discussions or gags like these from obscuring the primary discussions of the thread and at times perhaps prevent the need for creation of new topics for such conversations where they end up being allowed to spiral out of control. It could also help with the ever-present issue of quote mountains and quoting large numbers of images.

DinoToyForum

Let's stay on topic, please. O:-) Thanks!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 21, 2016, 09:51:12 PM
Quote from: pylraster on September 21, 2016, 09:46:02 AM
I see your Michael Jackson and raise you one Takane.

Both of these topics have come up before and did not end well, but before this escalates further into a potentially offending direction as similar discussion has in the past I feel I should step in and say that Doug is right both in his general assessment of the situation, and his assertion that his generalizations were just that, generalizations.

On both of these very off-topic notes I present one more, has there been any thought of adding a spoiler tag to the forums? It could help to prevent brief off-topic discussions or gags like these from obscuring the primary discussions of the thread and at times perhaps prevent the need for creation of new topics for such conversations where they end up being allowed to spiral out of control. It could also help with the ever-present issue of quote mountains and quoting large numbers of images.

Please stop backseat moderating.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 22, 2016, 03:57:31 AM
Please stop backseat moderating.
I never told anyone else to do anything, I simply stated my opinion in a manner I thought would be appropriately minimalistic, made a joke to lighten the mood, and presented an idea I thought might be constructive in the future. When this same topic got out of hand before comments were made that offended me personally,  professionally,  and politically, and the justifications used made me legitimately distressed. I think trying to prevent repetition of such events was justified.

Rarely, and perhaps I will disagree with myself someday, will I say that REBOR deserves better than to have their main thread devolve into this.

tyrantqueen

Nevermind, let's get back on topic.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: