News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I see REBOR continuing to mockingly respond to Austin Wood time and time again, as though there was the slightest thing to be gained from such buffoonery. And of course, a number of REBOR devotees are chiming in with even nastier vitriole. Like the one who says anyone who prefers Safari over REBOR must be a lonely, pathetic, overweight virgin. How very droll.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: Derek.McManus on September 17, 2016, 11:57:57 AM
As a parent albeit one not involved with either party I would have questions to ask about the conversation.

I genuinely feel that I would be interested in finding out more about Rebor, the company, the personalities and the design process.
The company is "small", that's all they've ever said. The design process is "What movies about dinosaurs make money? Lets just copy those." And the few personalities that we've seen seem to vary extremely.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Victoria B on September 17, 2016, 08:51:16 AM
Quote from: pylraster on September 16, 2016, 09:42:09 AM
I've read the whole thing, and the Austin fellow's reaction was too much. Rebor was quite immature with their response. Seems the rep hasn't been replaced or anything.

For all we know the rep might be one of the owners. Seems like it's a pretty small group of people.

Yeah, I think you're right. I would be very surprised to learn they have a dedicated PR person. I think it's a handful of designers and sculptors, and they take it pretty personally when people criticize their work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

The fact that they keep responding to these trolls is making it worse. It's making them look very unprofessional. Ignore or block, if need be, but do not get involved in mud flinging.

The Atroxious

Quote from: suspsy on September 17, 2016, 04:47:22 PM
I see REBOR continuing to mockingly respond to Austin Wood time and time again, as though there was the slightest thing to be gained from such buffoonery. And of course, a number of REBOR devotees are chiming in with even nastier vitriole. Like the one who says anyone who prefers Safari over REBOR must be a lonely, pathetic, overweight virgin. How very droll.

Where are you getting this? I'm not seeing any sort of discussion on their front page. All I see is "Yep, we are a 'bad company'  ;)" and the Allosaurus egg skeleton.

Also, clearly that guy hasn't met a lot of Safari collectors.

tanystropheus

Quote from: The Atroxious on September 18, 2016, 05:19:15 AM

Where are you getting this? I'm not seeing any sort of discussion on their front page. All I see is "Yep, we are a 'bad company'  ;)" and the Allosaurus egg skeleton.

Perhaps, suspsy is filling in the gaps by reading between the lines. Drama generates publicity. Publicity generates revenue. Boycotts generate revenue. That is the formula.

The Atroxious

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2016, 06:46:33 AM
Perhaps, suspsy is filling in the gaps by reading between the lines. Drama generates publicity. Publicity generates revenue. Boycotts generate revenue. That is the formula.

Specifically I was referring to the mention of "Rebor continuing to mockingly respond to Austin Wood". I only see a single response, the "bad company" one, yet there have been several mentions in this thread that imply the existence of more posts on the topic, but I can't see any of them. I can't help but feel like Facebook might be glitching out on me. It wouldn't be the first time Facebook refused to load past a certain point.

tyrantqueen

I have to admit I started laughing when they brought Pokemon into the conversation.

Thylacosmilus

I 'm used to see this kind of childish attitude in telephone calls recorded by clients in conversations with support attendants . (The worst thing I heard was an employee who reported that thanks to the informations in the company database he knew where the client and his family lived and threatened to harm them).
But attacks directly through the company's page for everyone to see, share and support is an alarming problem.

pylraster

Just think of REBOR as WWE heels. Comically hilarious bad guys. Well, their products are still good. I'll keep buying from them regardless of how they act.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2016, 06:46:33 AM
Quote from: The Atroxious on September 18, 2016, 05:19:15 AM

No, I'm not "filling in the gaps by reading between the lines," and I don't appreciate you accusing me of such. You and The Atroxious can find the offending post in the lengthy subthread generated by Nathan Morris:

QuoteTaylor Noel MacNeil Did someone really just say they prefer Safari? 😂 AHAHAH all I can picture in my head is a bunch of nerdy little virgin boys with glasses n braces fighting with Rebor. I'm legit weak right now. Austin Wood, how old are you? Little obsessed with Pokemon you gotta be 12. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Go back to your crib little boy

Rain

I'm not sure if TQ posted these or not as her links are broken but for anyone who wants to view the conversation without having to go onto Facebook..

I dont think the names have to be blurred out as they're easily accessibly anyway. All you have to do is go onto the Facebook page.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI'm not sure if TQ posted these or not as her links are broken

What do you mean? My links aren't broken, I can see the images just fine.

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 18, 2016, 02:49:29 PM

I can't see your links either TQ but I can see Rain's.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 18, 2016, 02:54:33 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 18, 2016, 02:49:29 PM

I can't see your links either TQ but I can see Rain's.

That's weird. Thanks for letting me know. That was the first and last time I'll use Google Photos. Since Rain posted the whole convo there's no need for me to go back and edit.

Shadowknight1

And some of my friends wonder why I don't use Facebook more often.  With very few exceptions, it's a breeding ground for either blind devotion or rancorous hate.  I'm not going to say that REBOR is innocent because they obviously shouldn't be fanning the flames, but both their detractors and defenders are equally vitriolic.  It's almost as bad as going to a Star Trek web forum and saying you prefer any of the JJ Abrams films over the older movies.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: pylraster on September 18, 2016, 12:57:29 PM
Just think of REBOR as WWE heels. Comically hilarious bad guys. Well, their products are still good. I'll keep buying from them regardless of how they act.

That's exactly how I see the situation. REBOR is comparable to WWE. It's all entertainment. They don't even have an official website. They build hype and press off the FB site.

Doug Watson

I usually stay away from this thread but I just caught this discussion. The thing that bothers me is we have had some high profile instances of teen suicide due to cyber bullying and when you get the piling on from the company and the fans this borders on cyber bullying to me especially when the kid reveals he is only 15. As an adult that would be the point where I would back off not pile on (mind you I wouldn't have gone as far as they did anyway). I hope the kid has a thick skin, I know he seems to give as well as he gets but that is the public view you don't know how deep some of those barbs cut when the person is alone with his thoughts.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2016, 04:02:28 PM

That's exactly how I see the situation. REBOR is comparable to WWE. It's all entertainment. They don't even have an official website. They build hype and press off the FB site.

Since REBOR isn't following a script when they go out of their way to humiliate their detractors--who are also not following a script--that analogy is bunk.

If you want to go on buying their products, knock yourself out. But don't go dragging yourself down by making up inane excuses for their sickening behaviour. Especially considering what Doug just pointed out.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on September 18, 2016, 05:13:16 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2016, 04:02:28 PM

Since REBOR isn't following a script when they go out of their way to humiliate their detractors--who are also not following a script--that analogy is bunk.

If you want to go on buying their products, knock yourself out. But don't go dragging yourself down by making up inane excuses for their sickening behaviour. Especially considering what Doug just pointed out.

I haven't looked at the details of the convo (including the age of persons involved). It might very well amount to cyberbullying but I would have to read the exchange in detail. However, based on REBORs previous record of exchanges, it does superficially resembles that of WWE (or alternatively, a staged hip hop band feud designed to generate sales). It took us nearly a decade to figure out that WWE was actually scripted. Not justifying REBOR's behavior in any shape or form or even suggesting that the exchanges here are scripted (as that would be too weird). I think it is time for Mrs. REBOR to step in and do some quality control. As Doug Watson stated, let's hope the kid has a thick skin. It's difficult to control for variables in a social media infused world.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: