News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 13, 2020, 12:04:27 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on April 10, 2020, 11:47:27 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 10, 2020, 10:39:25 PM
What is also true is that many parents find it cheaper to buy imitations of Rebor dinosaurs

What angers me more is that Rebor's dinosaurs were never meant to be played with in the first place, the same goes for Papo models in my opinion. Still, tons of 6-year-olds feel like playing with them alongside the likes of Mattel and Safari Ltd. The latter two, though, were meant for bashing against one another and Wal-Mart chinasaurs.

I want to reply to the parts I bolded specifically because I am baffled ;D

Papos are totally "meant for bashing against each other". Otherwise they wouldn't market them as kids toys and they would be made from a less durable material. Why exactly wouldn't you want a child playing with them in your opinion?

Papos are deliberately designed to look like Jurassic Park/World for mass appeal. They are hitting a sweet spot somewhere between kids, JP/W fans and collectors. Papo would never give up that niche they created in favor of some elitist adult dinosaur fans. In fact, this would only create more competition for Rebor as Papo is the bigger company with a bigger reach.

I don't remember JP having a ceratosaurus like papo or a Quetzal or uhh a Spinosaurus man I could go on and on. Tireless argument that isn't backed up unless you count their early releases.

But can I bash my Rebor figures?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 14, 2020, 12:50:42 AM
What is also true is that many parents find it cheaper to buy imitations of Rebor dinosaurs

What angers me more is that Rebor's dinosaurs were never meant to be played with in the first place, the same goes for Papo models in my opinion. Still, tons of 6-year-olds feel like playing with them alongside the likes of Mattel and Safari Ltd. The latter two, though, were meant for bashing against one another and Wal-Mart chinasaurs.

Papos are totally "meant for bashing against each other". Otherwise they wouldn't market them as kids toys and they would be made from a less durable material. Why exactly wouldn't you want a child playing with them in your opinion?

Papos are deliberately designed to look like Jurassic Park/World for mass appeal. They are hitting a sweet spot somewhere between kids, JP/W fans and collectors. Papo would never give up that niche they created in favor of some elitist adult dinosaur fans. In fact, this would only create more competition for Rebor as Papo is the bigger company with a bigger reach.

I don't remember JP having a ceratosaurus like papo or a Quetzal or uhh a Spinosaurus man I could go on and on. Tireless argument that isn't backed up unless you count their early releases.

Dimorphodon isn't an early release, nor is Compsognathus. Almost all of their non-JP dinosaurs are stolen from Sideshow Dinosauria statue designs.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 14, 2020, 01:36:51 AM

Dimorphodon isn't an early release, nor is Compsognathus. Almost all of their non-JP dinosaurs are stolen from Sideshow Dinosauria statue designs.

Wasn't being super specific past the early releases that were obvious knock offs. Point still stands

Sarapaurolophus

It is totally backed up by their early releases, you just said it yourself.
They developped their in-house style based on JP, what species they do now doesn't change the start they had. I also don't get what "argument" I am supposed to be having. I was simply stating why Papo is popular with a bunch of groups, including kids and JP fans. Papo is not an adult collectors item that should be kept from kids was my point.

I don't get why some adults are angry that their toys are kids toys. Like I said, if they weren't they'd be more expensive and more limited. So in the end it's a win-win.

Also, JP totally had a Spino in their third movie that put that animal on the map of lots of toy companies. It is known. JP has always been the big influencer when it comes to dinosaur toys. And Papo's first forray into that species looked like you could place it in the movie. It's an easy observation, not an attack on Papo. Their figures are very "Hollywood", easy to point out when lined up with other kids toys Schleich, Safari, Bullyland, etc.

https://www.papo-france.com/en/dinosaurs/572-spinosaurus.html - pictured is a kids toy, not a maquette from Stan Winston's shop ;) Lighten up a little.

Loon

Back on topic, this is Rebor thread after all. I do hope they make a Disney style Iguanodon to go with the Carnotaurus.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Loon on April 14, 2020, 10:28:31 AM
Back on topic, this is Rebor thread after all. I do hope they make a Disney style Iguanodon to go with the Carnotaurus.

Seconded! But based on Bruton or Kron, I hope.

Melekh

Now as we have seen some movie monsters, a V-Rex, King Kong and an Alien, I would love to see a 1/35 Rancor :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Melekh on April 14, 2020, 08:45:01 PM
Now as we have seen some movie monsters, a V-Rex, King Kong and an Alien, I would love to see a 1/35 Rancor :)

Rancorsaurus?

Shonisaurus

I would love for Rebor to make all the dinosaurs and creatures from Skull Island from the King Kong movie.

SenSx

So sad about the Meta and Lica cancellation.
Sorry, but if those bootlegers release them, I'll buy them, Rebor should have made them.

Loon

Quote from: SenSx on April 16, 2020, 08:18:58 PM
So sad about the Meta and Lica cancellation.
Sorry, but if those bootlegers release them, I'll buy them, Rebor should have made them.

I don't think bootleggers would release canceled figures. It has happened before with some toys, but that's usually after molds have been made; I doubt either figure made it that far.

Also, that Godzilla fetus thing is real, not an April fool's joke.
QuoteAnd here comes the plot twist...it's real! DUN DUN DUUUUN!!!

So the real April Fools' Day joke was to make people believe that this announcement was a joke - it was a jokeception and everyone fell for it See you next year!

Loon

Cool.... :-\
QuoteFor those who want living herbivorous you guys had Ankylosaurus "War Pig" Stegosaurus "Garden" and will get Triceratops "Trident" this Xmas so please allow us to make something we like for a change - a 1:6-1:8 scale Protoceratops andrewsi carcass for diorama building and photo shooting compatible with most raptors in your collection.

And stay tuned cus the official images of REBOR 1:35 Titanoboa "Monty" could pop up anytime this week;)

Shonisaurus

I hope to buy the Rebor titanoboa, on the other hand, the corpse protoceratops of Rebor is precious, it will make a very good match with the Collecta 2020 protoceratops.

Ceratosaurus

I'm definitely excited about this one. Can't wait to see the finished product. Of all the Smilodon figures out there I've never been convinced enough to buy one.

upload image link
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Shonisaurus

In my case I am excited about the Rebor smilodon, its appearance will change when they add hair, it is for me the best smilodon on the market of the prehistoric toy animal judging by the prototype, even if it does not have hair it will continue in my personal opinion to be the best smilodon I would have in my collection. I also look forward to the Rebor smilodon is a figure that for my collection will have legendary relevance. Hopefully Rebor will also make a solid PVC paraceratherium with a 1:20 scale !!!!! I love the Rebor brand.

The only thing that has disappointed me is that they have decided not to produce the sarcosuchus and deinosuchus, which for my expectations as a collector has been a pity although obviously, considering what is coming economically I see it as the wisest thing.

Loon

That promo pic looks like a prehistoric vaporwave album cover.

I'm interested to see what that Smilodon looks like with fur because it looks pretty good so far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this smilodon too lean? I'm pretty sure they were bulkier than this.

Flaffy

So much for live herbivores

Loon

Quote from: Flaffy on April 23, 2020, 08:12:52 PM

I just realized that they called this dead Protoceratops "something we like for a change". God, I always forget how much I "intensely dislike" this company.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on April 23, 2020, 08:17:04 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on April 23, 2020, 08:12:52 PM

I just realized that they called this dead Protoceratops "something we like for a change". God, I always forget how much I "intensely dislike" this company.
It really comes across as "we did some lame herbivores for you "accuracy" nerds! Now it's time to do something cool!".

And like, hey, if they do want to do accurate herbivores/pterosaurs/corpses/other extinct animals to appeal to the accuracy group and then do inaccurate theropods to appeal to JP fans I have no issues with that. It's a decent formula, one that I would argue Favorite Kinto kind of uses with their dinosaur line versus their prehistoric life line.

The issue is that their herbivores aren't accurate, they still have pretty typical issues like elephant feet and generally come across as the same popcorn fair as the theropods. That's what makes the statement sting so much for me personally anyway.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: Loon on April 23, 2020, 08:09:16 PM
That promo pic looks like a prehistoric vaporwave album cover.

I'm interested to see what that Smilodon looks like with fur because it looks pretty good so far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this smilodon too lean? I'm pretty sure they were bulkier than this.

First it was to big and now in a different angle it is to lean? No it is clearly big enough. It's not to big or to lean. I honestly think it's a masterpiece (so far).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: