News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellow Stego

avatar_Killekor @Killekor  oh yeah I've forgotten about that Dunkleosteus. 
I would love to know if that's still coming out.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

utd7

Yeah in fact recently I re watched the BBC Chased by Sea Monsters with Nigel Marven and thought how cool it would be if REBOR made some of the creatures featured in that show particularly Dunkleosteus, Megalodon, Xiphactinus and a Mosasaur. That would be the dream and I recall that they had made some Megalodon prototypes. Hope they're still on the cards for production.
We live in a Jurassic World

Loon

An update on the Titanaboa, and some skulls.
Quote from: ReborWhat are those?

Also the limited edition Titanoboa are currently being manufactured and will be released this May so hopefully people can stop asking like.. every single day

Shonisaurus

Si llego a vivir con salud en mayo espero comprar el modelo de la titanoboa con sus versiones de pintura. Buenas noticias ha traido. ¡Gracias Loon!

Faelrin

Oh so the Titanoboa is finally coming in May? I'm looking forward to getting that. Now if only one could make a Carbonemys to go along with it, but well at least there will finally be a decent figure of this giant snake after all this time.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

I hope that in the medium or long term future as things stand due to the coronavirus crisis that Rebor will release deinosuchus, sarcosuchus, tyrannosaurus and spinosaurus. I am looking forward to seeing those four figures on the market.

It is good to know that the titanoboa will be revealed soon on the toy dinosaur online.

Loon

Did Rebor ever say if the Titanaboa's crocodilian accessory was a specific species? I really hope it's not just a modern crocodile.

Fenestra

I like the idea of having some midsized skulls just for display.
Hopefully with nice little stands, to make it look classy.

Sarapaurolophus

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO I apologize if this has been asked/answered before but is there a chance you will make more updated versions of previously released species (like Windhunter)? I ask because I am in love with Oasis and Greenday and their joined base, but at the same time I am tired of seeing the pop culture version of Dilophosaurus -- even when it's from talented sculptors.

Provided there even is a sizeable market for accurate Dilopho in your general audience.

Loon

That Carnotaurus is looking good. It might just be the image, but it doesn't look as over-textured as I thought it would.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon Thanks for the photos King Kong can go through a gigantopithecus on the other hand Rebor's carnotaurus seems more scientific than its predecessor, it seems to have an articulated jaw (is this a suggestion of mine?)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Carnotaurus looks pretty good for a film accurate version...quite large too.

Ceratosaurus

For anyone interested in their previously introduced Deinosuchus and Sarchosuchus (Meta and Lica), it appears they are cancelled. Rebor mentioned this in the comment section for the Carnotaurus and King Kong post. If I remember correctly they were postponed and it was thought they'd be made as Grab N' Go figures but now they seem to be scrapped completely. Rebor mentioned bootleggers as one of the reasons. I was looking forward to both figures myself.

My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Faelrin

That's a shame to see this. I was looking forward to them as well. Oh well, at least there is the recently released and fantastic Safari Ltd to sate the need of a Sarcosuchus figure. Hopefully Deinosuchus can get an update from another company someday.

They really nailed the look of the "Carnotaur". I'm looking forward to seeing that painted up. I hope they'll do an Iguanodon to go with it too eventually. Would make for a nice diorama, and it would always be nice to see them add another herbivore for their lineup.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

I've said this before and I will say it again, when you do dinosaurs stylized like movie monsters, you get bootlegs. It's not even just that though, it's specifically this style of sculpting with over-saturated details that gets so many bootlegs made.

Look at how few Mattel bootlegs there are compared to JP3, or Papo, or even Chap Mei's (themselves JP clones) which have entire lines of bootlegs based on just them. It can't just be timing either as we're already seeing Nanmu bootlegs far outnumber any based on Mattel sculpts.

Either there is something about this style of sculpting that has more inherent appeal in China, or something about it that makes them easier to bootleg. Probably the high amount of detail means less care needs to be put into preserving them with cheap casting methods, if detail gets lost it's no big deal since the details are all so highlighted they show up anyway.

Syndicate Bias

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with movie monsters. It's simple, what will sell more? A mattel toy or a REBOR or Papo or Namu model? Most people that can't afford those will itch to get one because most people don't care about accuracy, just more on the beauty of the sculpt itself. Toys vs model bootlegs which one are the average joes more willing to buy?

Bootlegging happens to everyone, some more than others. The average person doesn't know that the Papo Rex is innacurate. The people that do are also most likely the ones that are buying the actual brand models aka DTF members.

Loon

I do find it pretty weird that Rebor is knocked off so much. Also, I don't think the bootleg factories care too much about how "good" the Rebor figure looks in comparison to a Mattel figure. The majority of bootlegged figures don't look too great to begin with. I feel that it's getting increasingly more risky to bootleg figures from these huge corporations (i.e. the recent incident where Hasbro arrested several individuals involved with the production of KO transformers), so, a incredibly small company like Rebor is seen as an easy target.

postsaurischian

>:(  Bootlegging sucks in each and every way!
        Two reasons why they choose REBOR:
        1. Of course they're copying figures that have proven to sell well.
        2. They can offer their lower quality figure for a much cheaper price than the original.
           If they'd copy a standard CollectA or Safari figure the price difference wouldn't be that big and people might tend to stick with the original.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Loon on April 10, 2020, 07:58:13 PM
I do find it pretty weird that Rebor is knocked off so much. Also, I don't think the bootleg factories care too much about how "good" the Rebor figure looks in comparison to a Mattel figure. The majority of bootlegged figures don't look too great to begin with. I feel that it's getting increasingly more risky to bootleg figures from these huge corporations (i.e. the recent incident where Hasbro arrested several individuals involved with the production of KO transformers), so, a incredibly small company like Rebor is seen as an easy target.

Oh but they do, bootlegs are terrible quality but if the original figure is a good looking figure and it has a good price on which they can lower by bootlegging it to provide more sales then they will. Only add on to this is your point of smaller companies vs big ones but that's not the only deciding factor. To add salt to the wound, REBOR has always been the more expensive brand than Papo up until recently so there is more money to be made because there's plenty of people who would buy the figures on the cheap that would otherwise be too expensive for them.

Just my two cents

Also I'm not sure how it works but if that is the case for smaller companies then why don't we see an explosion of resin kits being sold for ridiculous prices considering even less people can afford to buy a resin kit than a figure? Wouldn't it be even easier to steal from an artist? Someone who's got more knowledge in this matter please answer this I'm geniuenly curious.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 10, 2020, 07:19:31 PM
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with movie monsters. It's simple, what will sell more? A mattel toy or a REBOR or Papo or Namu model? Most people that can't afford those will itch to get one because most people don't care about accuracy, just more on the beauty of the sculpt itself. Toys vs model bootlegs which one are the average joes more willing to buy?

Bootlegging happens to everyone, some more than others. The average person doesn't know that the Papo Rex is innacurate. The people that do are also most likely the ones that are buying the actual brand models aka DTF members.
Average Joe's aren't buying them, children and parents are. These bootlegs aren't trying to appeal to collectors (not even casual collectors) they're trying to catch the algorithm of Amazon, eBay or Ali-express and get recommended to as many unaware parents as possible who toss "add to cart" alongside that weeks groceries.

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 10, 2020, 08:21:18 PM
  >:(  Bootlegging sucks in each and every way!
        Two reasons why they choose REBOR:
        1. Of course they're copying figures that have proven to sell well.
        2. They can offer their lower quality figure for a much cheaper price than the original.
           If they'd copy a standard CollectA or Safari figure the price difference wouldn't be that big and people might tend to stick with the original.

There are two entirely different markets of bootlegging. One is people who can't afford the original item, and the other is people who can't tell the difference and just assume the cheaper item has less markup from the seller.

Although yes a CollectA bootleg at $1 versus an original at $8 is a lot less of a difference than a REBOR bootleg at $10 and an original at $50, that's not nearly drastic enough to actually place them in that first context.

People buy a fake Guchi bag for $40 instead of spending hundreds or even thousands on a real one. People aren't buying a $10 REBOR bootleg instead of a $50 original, they're buying a $10 toy instead of an $11 toy. That's all they see and all they know.

Consumers, and I would even argue bootleggers, aren't the problem, the problem is the system and lack of proper legislation. Can't go after bootleggers in China? Alright, go after the importers then. They're in a position they should be doing research about this kind of stuff. Don't let Amazon or Dollarama sell these junky things and they loose a decent chunk of their market.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: