News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection Discontinued

Started by Dan, March 10, 2015, 09:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meso-Cenozoic

Dobber

Quote from: DinoLord on March 13, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
Very interesting. Maybe we'll see museum-affiliated higher-end resin pieces? That's something I've always wanted to see - museums commissioning artists to do sculpts based on that institution's iconic specimens. I feel that Forest Roger's style would be great for resin pieces - as nice as the standard-issue Carnegie figures are their resin masters are just beautiful.

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see a "fleshed out" display peice based on the Museums Tyrannosaurus exhibit. One of those Rex's is, after all, the Holotype specimen T-rex.  ;)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Daspletodave

Quote from: Concavenator on March 12, 2015, 03:10:08 PM
Even though now CollectA is clearly the best,I will miss Carnegie a lot.They've been  my favorite company for years.I still need to buy the Carnotaurus (which I think it's the best Carnegie model ever,and the best Carnotaurus ever done as well;imo it blows the Papo one away).
Carnegie's demise has brought out the CollectA fanatics. CollectA IS NOT the best! Battat, Safari, Papo, Favorite and Bullyland are all BETTER!!! Even Schleich appears to be making a comeback - their new Kentrosaurus beats the one from CollectA hands down.
Of course if your mommy can only afford to buy you the cheap CollectA figures then I can see how you might be misled into thinking they are the best. Any side-by-side comparison immediately reveals the flaws in CollectA's figures, which have been well-documented already- the overly wide hips, the shrink-wrapping, the warping, the goofy facial expressions, anatomical errors (ie jaws), the repeated use of the same poses, etc.
To use a baseball analogy (with spring training under way), CollectA is still in the minor leagues while the big boys are playing in the Major League.

Uroplatus

Quote from: Daspletodave on March 15, 2015, 02:11:46 PM

Of course if your mommy can only afford to buy you the cheap CollectA figures then I can see how you might be misled into thinking they are the best.

Is this really necessary?

Manatee

Quote from: Uroplatus on March 15, 2015, 02:17:06 PM

Of course if your mommy can only afford to buy you the cheap CollectA figures then I can see how you might be misled into thinking they are the best.

Is this realy necessary?
No, the rudeness is not necessary at all.

Concavenator

Even though now CollectA is clearly the best,I will miss Carnegie a lot.They've been  my favorite company for years.I still need to buy the Carnotaurus (which I think it's the best Carnegie model ever,and the best Carnotaurus ever done as well;imo it blows the Papo one away).
Carnegie's demise has brought out the CollectA fanatics. CollectA IS NOT the best! Battat, Safari, Papo, Favorite and Bullyland are all BETTER!!! Even Schleich appears to be making a comeback - their new Kentrosaurus beats the one from CollectA hands down.
Of course if your mommy can only afford to buy you the cheap CollectA figures then I can see how you might be misled into thinking they are the best. Any side-by-side comparison immediately reveals the flaws in CollectA's figures, which have been well-documented already- the overly wide hips, the shrink-wrapping, the warping, the goofy facial expressions, anatomical errors (ie jaws), the repeated use of the same poses, etc.
To use a baseball analogy (with spring training under way), CollectA is still in the minor leagues while the big boys are playing in the Major League.
Dude,I think you could be a little more polite,couldn't you?I'm not a CollectA fanatic,however I must say it's a little ignorant of you if you to not appreciate what CollectA is doing.As much as I love Carnegie,Wild Safari,CollectA and Battat blows them away.I also find funny how you have compared the Schleich Kentrosaurus to the CollectA one which is a much older model.We get it,you hate CollectA.Stick with your awesomebro,scaly,scary monsters.Of course,Bullyland is much better than CollectA.How would I even wonder that myself?As you can see,the Bullyland Spinosaurus is a badass model while the CollectA one is terrible,shrink wrapped and ugly as hell.See what I mean:

Bullyland

Did you even care to see my collection?I'm afraid not.Most of my models are actually Carnegies.I got much more Carnegies than 'cheap' CollectA models.

Shadowknight1

While I don't entirely disagree with you(CollectA could have done a much better looking Acrocanthosaurus and not made it from the Carcharodontosaurus mold), I would still prefer to get their upcoming Deluxe Spinosaurus than a model of the species from Safari, Papo, and Favorite.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Tyto_Theropod

I'm not going to say anything about my opinions on different companies - to each their own. However, I will say that it would be nice if people could stop being so immature and rude to each other. This argument has gone too far.  C:-)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on March 15, 2015, 02:45:31 PM
Dude,I think you could be a little more polite,couldn't you?I'm not a CollectA fanatic,however I must say it's a little ignorant of you if you to not appreciate what CollectA is doing.As much as I love Carnegie,Wild Safari,CollectA and Battat blows them away.I also find funny how you have compared the Schleich Kentrosaurus to the CollectA one which is a much older model.We get it,you hate CollectA.Stick with your awesomebro,scaly,scary monsters.Of course,Bullyland is much better than CollectA.How would I even wonder that myself?As you can see,the Bullyland Spinosaurus is a badass model while the CollectA one is terrible,shrink wrapped and ugly as hell.See what I mean:

I don't see much politeness here either, none of what you just wrote is helping. I agree with Tyto...we all have different preference and opinions. Agree to disagree and move on, this tread is for discussion regarding the discontinuation of the Carnegie Collection, nothing else.

Concavenator

I was repeating  what he said about CollectA.Better this way? I agree we might have different opinions,and
I totally respect that,however he actually said I'm a CollectA fanatic and this,which is pretty rude.I didn't insult anyone actually.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on March 15, 2015, 03:45:45 PM
I was repeating  what he said about CollectA.Better this way? I agree we might have different opinions,and
I totally respect that,however he actually said I'm a CollectA fanatic and this,which is pretty rude.I didn't insult anyone actually.

I agree, that is quite condescending and mean spirited. You should report to mods any rudeness.

suspsy

To use no analogy at all, this childish, mean-spirited, unnecessary post tells me that you're not worth any further attention.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Himmapaan

DaspletoDave, I think the others have already summed up your comment here pretty well. I would politely suggest that you offer an apology so that we could please move on. :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 15, 2015, 02:58:44 PM
Carnegie's demise has brought out the CollectA fanatics. CollectA IS NOT the best! Battat, Safari, Papo, Favorite and Bullyland are all BETTER!!! Even Schleich appears to be making a comeback - their new Kentrosaurus beats the one from CollectA hands down...

...I would still prefer to get their upcoming Deluxe Spinosaurus than a model of the species from Safari, Papo, and Favorite.

Interesting thought, I would be very curious to know what an updated quadrupedal Spinosaurus by Safari, Papo or Favorite would actually look like. Forest Rogers' original Spinosaurus mould was exceptional for the time period.

suspsy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 15, 2015, 02:58:44 PMCollectA could have done a much better looking Acrocanthosaurus and not made it from the Carcharodontosaurus mold.

The Acrocanthosaurus is not made from the Carcharodontosaurus mold. That was never anything more than a unsubstantiated rumour started by fans, and CollectA debunked it awhile back.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2015, 09:56:55 PM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 15, 2015, 02:58:44 PMCollectA could have done a much better looking Acrocanthosaurus and not made it from the Carcharodontosaurus mold.

The Acrocanthosaurus is not made from the Carcharodontosaurus mold. That was never anything more than a unsubstantiated rumour started by fans, and CollectA debunked it awhile back.
I think even Suspy and I agree they were not mold copied from one another, even if various efforts by Collecta seem to borrow heavily from one another for pose, inspiration and style. While some of their models do appear almost cookie cutter identical other than for a few alterations, they are not mold copied. They may lack creativity or originality, but they are apparently seperate albeit similar sculpts.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shadowknight1

Pardon me.  It still looks like the Carcharodontosaurus.  They could've given it a different pose.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 15, 2015, 10:48:38 PM

I think even Suspy and I agree they were not mold copied from one another, even if various efforts by Collecta seem to borrow heavily from one another for pose, inspiration and style. While some of their models do appear almost cookie cutter identical other than for a few alterations, they are not mold copied. They may lack creativity or originality, but they are apparently seperate albeit similar sculpts.

Yes, we've seen comparison photos of the Nasuto, Medusa, and Xeno, and of the Daxiatitan and the Argentinosaurus, and while there are similarities (which you would expect to see with ceratopsids and titanosaurs), it is readily apparent that they are all unique molds. It'll certainly be interesting to see the Acro compared alongside the Carchar.

It is my earnest hope that CollectA, having been made aware of this controversy, will work on coming up with a wider variety of poses for their 2016 assortment.

Getting back to Carnegie, I'm thinking I should try and add the Diplodocus to my collection. What are people's thoughts on it?

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on March 16, 2015, 12:12:44 AM
Getting back to Carnegie, I'm thinking I should try and add the Diplodocus to my collection. What are people's thoughts on it?

The old one or newer one? Not that it matters, the answer is yes either way. Like I said in the top 10 poll, the newer Diplodocus is among my favorite dinosaurs models. Ever in fact. I dare say it is only bested by the Battat model where models of Diplodocus are concerned. As for the old one, it's good for it's time (and has a cameo in JP!). Any large sauropod in 1:40 scale is worth getting IMO.

DinoLord

I bought the old one for myself last fall; it was a beautiful moment. That one and the old Brachiosaurus were the ones I always wanted to buy as a kid but was denied time and time again.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: