News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Robin - Goodfellow's Collection ( Collection "Tour" from page 113 )

Started by RobinGoodfellow, March 21, 2015, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Recently I received a couple of new figures so I thought to post a brief Spinosaurus' history through models...
So here it is:

"Spinosaurus through time"

Spinosaurus is still a controversial dinosaur.
Not all paleontologists agree with Ibrahim et Al. ' new reconstruction of the animal..
Spinosaurus was a bipedal animal? A quadrupedal? A semi-quadrupedal?
Was it a marine animal or a semi-aquatic one ?
We are not totally sure yet..

Spinosaurus was discovered in 1915 by Ernst Stromer with partial skeleton parts.
This is how Stromer thought the animal was:

The few original  Stromer's Spino bones were destructed in Germany during World War II

The old Carnegie Spinosaurus resembles Stromer' reconstruction:

In my collection I have books from 1975/1980 with a different reconstruction:

The old Schleich Spinosaurus follows that way:

(Not in My Collection)

The slanting Carnegie looks like that too:

On 2001 the glory of Spinosaurus rise up again with Jurassic Park III and a different reconstruction by Jack Horner:

Toy companies followed the line:

( New Acquisition )

But, as usual, JP' Spinosaurus wasn't so accurate even for the time:

So new figures followed that way:

(Not in My Collection)

( New Acquisition )

Then paleontologists discovered that Spinosaurus fed with big fishes, like crocodiles:

On 2014 Ibrahim et Al. changed everything.
Ibrahim' new reconstruction:

Spinosaurus' illustrations changed:

..and also figures..

Spinosaurus became an aquatic dinosaur:

What's next with Spinosaurus ?
Who knows....  ;)

(for info about figures, please follow the link at the end, clicking on picture you're interested)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157688651300683/with/42097300675/

:)

RobinGoodfellow

New Acquisitions

Kenner Ornithosuchus

Safari Prestosuchus

Others Archosauria in my collection:

(for info about figures, please follow the link at the end, clicking on picture you're interested)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157679366796800/with/33086968335/

..and an oddity: Safari LTD Oviraptor in Egg

..I also have "Baby Louie" by Safari LTD:

..and Citipati over Nest inspired by Luis V. Rey:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/sets/72157652743195866/with/16462038242/

bmathison1972

Wonderful history of Spinosaurus! Thanks for compiling that!!!

RobinGoodfellow

New Acquisitions

A couple of boxed (and "mint in box"  ;) ) acquisitions..

First one: Safari "Dinosaurs of China"  Yangchuanosaurus

..from the same line I also have the Therizinosaurus:

..and the Mamenchisaurus + Yangchuanosaurus (without box):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157662751420898/with/28314535599/

I am also a devoted Dimetrodon collector; so the second acquisition is a toy: Chap Mei Dimetrodon:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157672005535171/with/43659962395/

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you for your comments and photographs on how the figure of spinosaurus evolved in the toy world.

On the other hand the "dinosaurs of China" are still for me main figures in my collection. In my case I have the Safari mamenchisaurus without the box and the skeleton they sold it to me at a very affordable price in my Lifelong Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences. It was second hand and honestly it was a "bargain" observing the exorbitant prices with which that iconic figure of "Dinosaurs of China" of Safari is sold. I'm glad I saved so much money.

Thanks Robin for the excellent photographs sent in your post. They are all and I know that I repeat pretty nice figures.

RobinGoodfellow

New Acquisitions

..yes, I know, they're only toys..but they're quite fun to collect..
(even if I won't go too deep into the whole line)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157658394821859/with/39723276483/

ceratopsian

I really enjoyed your history of Spinosaurus. That must have taken time to put together.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 13, 2019, 12:49:19 PM
I really enjoyed your history of Spinosaurus. That must have taken time to put together.

Thanks to you for reading.
It didn't take too much.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The artwork in the PNSO book is beautiful, and your evolution of Spinosaurus is very interesting.

Nice acquisitions too, can you tell me what the pseudosuchian in the list which is two below the Arizonasaurus?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 13, 2019, 09:38:09 PM
Nice acquisitions too, can you tell me what the pseudosuchian in the list which is two below the Arizonasaurus?

Saurosuchus galilei

tanystropheus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 12, 2019, 05:29:16 PM
New Acquisitions

A couple of boxed (and "mint in box"  ;) ) acquisitions..

I am also a devoted Dimetrodon collector; so the second acquisition is a toy: Chap Mei Dimetrodon:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157672005535171/with/43659962395/

Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many different species of Dimetrodon. Now it all makes sense why different companies are adopting various interpretations of the sail.

One of the most underrated Dimetrodons is the Smithsonian Museum version. It's very similar to the Wild Safari version and the sail has this amazing pseudo-holographic effect in person.

RobinGoodfellow

Do you mean the Tyco one AKA Dinoriders Dimetrodon?

..well, to be honest, Dinoriders aren't my cup of tea... ;)

Libraraptor

RobinGoodfellow

Today I received first pictures by Marilyn about Bullyland Protochirotherium modified (eyes+teeth) by Martin Garratt:

( Prestosuchus by Manuel Gil Jaramillo )

Same figure before "garrattization":

What do you think ?  ;)

Shonisaurus

What prettier figure of protochirotherium! The painting modification of Martin Garratt, improves the figures with these sessions of "makeup" and "aesthetic surgery" metaphorically speaking.

RobinGoodfellow

Daily Pics on DTF

Prehistoric megafauna deserve more love on DTF.
Here a quick gallery about my megafauna's resin collection:

Paraceratherium

Uintatherium

Elasmotherium

Woolly Rhino

Machairodus

Barbourofelis

Xenosmilus & Synthetoceras

Smilodon

Platybelodon

Gomphotherium

Stegodon

Wooly Mammoth

Phororhacos

Titanis

Moa

Xenokeryx

Thylacoleo

Cave Lion

Dire Wolf

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157685734593922/with/27795776452/

Mackeral

Love this Cooper collection, great great models!
I would like to see them next to each other on your shelf :)

Shonisaurus

To me honestly I like all these models the ones that strike me the most for their rarity even in the resin market are the Xenokeryx and the moa.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: