News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Brontosaurus is back

Started by Brontozaurus, April 07, 2015, 01:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

DinoLord

Interesting paper; I wonder what the general reaction amongst paleontologists will be. I always did think that A. excelsus looked more different from the other Apatosaurus species than A. ajax and A. louisae.

tyrantqueen

sauroid

hmmm should we expect Brontosaurus models in the near future? so what exactly were the recent Apatosaurus figures skeletal based on?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Tyto_Theropod

UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

SpittersForEver

reinier zwanink

To bad you cant see in the artical where the difference is
It states the neck but without any pic or drawings

Bronto is always been great
But i never mind apato

I would like to see that tree

Arul

Ohh so how about the apatosaurus ?

CityRaptor

Apatosaurus stays Apatosaurus.  It just "loses" one the four species.

EXCELSUS!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SpartanSquat

Brontosaurus rises like a Phoenix from the ashes. @CityRaptor: So Brontosaurus only have one specie? B. excelsus? No more species?

Takama

Wow im speechless.   No longer will i have to commission an Eobrontosaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I'd like to see more visuals showing how this was achieved.

Looking over Hartman's skeletals I can't see much difference between Excelsus and Louisae..Ajax is a different story it though it's not being contested.

A. Excelsus :

A. Louisae

A. Ajax :

Takama

What i like to see is a Skeletal of A. Parvus

Back on topic.  Do you think i should wait before i even think of commissioning a Brontosaurus

reinier zwanink

Asuming that thouse drawings are very accurate
You can see a difference in the neck but not that much
The article mentioned over 20 sauropode that they compared so it is possible
We can only see 3 here now

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: reinier zwanink on April 07, 2015, 06:08:58 PM
Asuming that thouse drawings are very accurate
You can see a difference in the neck but not that much
The article mentioned over 20 sauropode that they compared so it is possible
We can only see 3 here now

I have every faith in those skeletals being accurate as Scott Hartman does his research. 

Here's a link for the actual paper I think : https://peerj.com/articles/857

Kayakasaurus

I don't see much of a difference. I think they're making the same mistake that originally gave us the Brontosaurus; wanting to get something exciting published. Well if this does stand I'm going to have to stop telling my Grandma there is no such thing as a Brontosaurus anymore. Can you imagine a Brontosaurus model from one artist compared to an Apatosaurus from a different artist? Their would be no way to tell which is which.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's one reason I chose to make A.Ajax for the Park as you can tell a difference in it more than others.

Some are saying it won't make much difference to the science aspect at all at any rate. I expect more opinions..hopefully educated ones , through out the day.

Newt

The paper's open access. You don't have to wonder about the authors' reasoning - go and read it yourself!

They looked at a heck of a lot of morphological characters - far more than you can see in a skeletal drawing. And then they performed phylogenetic analyses which recovered Apatosaurus excelsus and A. amplus as most closely related to each other, and then to a group containing Amphicoelias, Elosaurus, Eobrontosaurus, and possibly A. ajax, than to the remaining Apatosaurus species.

In the end, their ressurected and revised Brontosaurus contains 3 species: B. (formerly Apatosaurus) excelsus,which also includes B. (formerly Apatosaurus) amplus; B. (formerly Elosaurus) parvus; and B. (formerly Eobrontosaurus) yanahpin.

Dinoguy2

The differences are mostly characters of the bones that would not really be obvious to a non expert. The biggest difference is the relative size and width of the neck bones. This would not be visible in side view, but see the front view here :

See an interview with the scientists here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3297.new#new

As for a commission, just commission an excelsus. Whether the genus is Brontosaurus or Apatosaurus doesn't matter as long as it's based on the Peabody Museum skeleton, it will always be the same animal no matter how many times its name changes.

I'm sure Hartman skeletals are accurate, the question is, is that the Peabody specimen or something that might be Apatosaurus ajax? Some former Brntosaurus specimens are stil considered Apatosaurus in the new study.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Usually Scott lists which specimen he used for a restoration, I've not been able to find it for the A.Excelsus piece though. He did mention using it for SVP but I'm not sure of the how/what.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: