You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New plesiosaur, Atychodracon megacephalus

Started by DinoToyForum, April 22, 2015, 01:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I had a new paper published today in which I erect a new plesiosaurian genus, Atychodracon, the 'unfortunate dragon'. It's an interesting story because the original specimen was unfortunately destroyed in World War 2, but a surviving photograph and casts allow the taxon to be diagnosed. Here's the pdf: http://palaeo-electronica.org/content/pdfs/504.pdf

sauroid

very cool. thanks for sharing. and great name too.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoLord

Yeah very cool genus name. I'll have to give the paper a good read-through later today!

Newt

Sweet! The only question now is, who's going to make an Atychodracon figure?

Halichoeres

If the ICZN provides for the possibility of plaster casts as types, what would you call it? Kalouttitype?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Thank you for sharing Dr. Admin, an interesting and sad story as well. I imagine more was lost in that museum with that bomb hit. We on our side of the Atlantic can count ourselves lucky that the War didn't reach our shores (other than U boats in the St Lawrence). My mom told me stories of my Grandmother and Aunt hiding under their beds during air raids in England during the war. I can only imagine how long it would take to get over that, if ever.

Takama

Quote from: Newt on April 22, 2015, 02:21:46 PM
Sweet! The only question now is, who's going to make an Atychodracon figure?

Me and Bradem might if the demand for marine reptiles is high

laticauda

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 22, 2015, 02:52:45 PM
I imagine more was lost in that museum with that bomb hit.
Unfortunatly, many collections all over Europe were destroyed.  Very Sad.

Derek.McManus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.