You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

That Koreasaltipes is a pleasant surprise. I'll have to track it down. Thanks for sharing!

By my count that gives us the following cretaceous mammals:

Alphadon
Henkelotherium
Kollikodon
Steropodon
Koreasaltipes

I noticed Urzeit Shop has an Eomaia as part of an expensive diorama model being chased by a Microraptor. I think I'm going to choose not to include that one...

Ravonium

Quote from: Chad on March 19, 2019, 02:52:11 PM
Alphadon
Henkelotherium
Kollikodon
Steropodon
Koreasaltipes

There's also a Repenomamus by Paleo-Creatures/Jetoar.

Anyway, yes, I'm going to have to, somehow, get the Armadillosuchus (even though the figure is articulated, it is of one of my favourite genera) and the Koreasaltipes, which is quite an interesting example of unique morphology in Mesozoic mammals (now, if only someone would make a Volaticotherium and/or a Castorocauda).

Also, nice to see the new Safari Ltd Pteranodon, which looks even better here than in the stock images (and it was my favourite of the lineup even when those were the only photos around), and the PNSO Mosasaurus, which is the first non-mini PNSO figure I've been genuinely interested in getting.

Halichoeres

Quote from: PhilSauria on March 18, 2019, 09:06:27 PM
Thanks for another very informative and well illustrated post! Brilliant images and I really like all of the information that you supply as well. Makes this a great reference thread.

Big fan of comparison images also, always helpful to see how new releases size up against previous figures.

Thanks very much! I'm glad you're finding it useful.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 19, 2019, 08:26:22 AM
On the other hand, the PNSO mosasaurus is the best of its kind and it is huge and of solid and heavy PVC, the same I can say of the PNSO amargasaurus also of Zhao Chuang sincerely the best figures are those four of Safari, Collecta and PNSO of each species.

I was surprised to learn it was solid; I was expecting a hollow piece like the Basilosaurus. The heft is very satisfying. It now rivals the Schleich Shonisaurus as a defensive weapon.

Quote from: Killekor on March 19, 2019, 01:15:41 PM
Thanks for the photos Halicoeres! That Koreasaltipes looks like a jerboa to me. Maybe it's his ancestor?

Killekor

It does look a bit like a jerboa! The myomorph rodents didn't evolve until the Paleogene, a full 40 million years after Koreasaltipes, so they probably aren't close relatives. But this hopping gait shows up in lots of small mammal lineages--it must be a pretty efficient way to get around!

Chad, that's my tally also (with the minor amendment that Henkelotherium is from the Jurassic). The Repenomamus that Ravonium points out is another, but although I have it, it really isn't a toy. Neither is that fancy Eomaia, although it is a beautiful rendition. As Ravonium says, it would be nice to see one from, say, PNSO.

For anybody planning to pick up Sonokong figures, I used the drop-shipping service Harumio to order these guys from Korea, and they arrived within two weeks. You can also get them on eBay, but Harumio might be cheaper depending on how many total figures you're planning to buy. You just have to send them the link for each individual figure you want to buy (http://shop.sonokong.co.kr/shop/shopbrand.html?page=1&xcode=023&mcode=014&scode=&type=X&search=&sort=regdate). Personally, I also prefer to support a small business than eBay.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

And here I was about to ask how to get the Sono Kong figure!

Thanks!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on March 20, 2019, 08:25:54 PM

Thanks!

Any time! I was unsure at first, but I can definitely recommend Harumio.

By the way, avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar, the Koreasaltipes is the only Sonokong that belongs on the USL. All other species they've made, they've made at least twice.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2019, 02:47:54 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 20, 2019, 08:25:54 PM

Thanks!

Any time! I was unsure at first, but I can definitely recommend Harumio.

By the way, avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar, the Koreasaltipes is the only Sonokong that belongs on the USL. All other species they've made, they've made at least twice.

Thanks for the heads-up! Stealing your pic and adding it now. ;)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you for the size information & comparison, sorry I haven't replied sooner.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Dear everyone,

I've decided four years collecting is enough and will give my collection away to the first person who replies to this. I will pay for half of the shipping, but you must pay the other half.

Impishly,

Halichoeres

Ravonium

Wow, that's sad to hear. Does this mean you'll leave the for Oh, for god's sake, I should've checked the date... >:( ::)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 01, 2019, 08:14:45 PM
Dear everyone,

I've decided four years collecting is enough and will give my collection away to the first person who replies to this. I will pay for half of the shipping, but you must pay the other half.

Impishly,

Halichoeres

Happy April's fools day ;D

Halichoeres

Reply number 1008 (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg224815#msg224815) has been edited to reflect the discovery that this mystery "Criorhynchus" is from Xidi/Happy Kin Toys:

Halichoeres

Dinosaurs of the Jurassic!

Safari Ltd Allosaurus
Scale: 1:40
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2019
Upper Jurassic Laurasia
The scale really depends on what specimen you're talking about, it could be almost 1:30 or even a little less than 1:40, but this works for a largish animal. It's a fluid sculpt, with lips and an interesting color scheme. They mostly fixed the asymmetric paint over the arms. It does seem the first digit has had its claw reduced relative to the prototype, which is a pity, since that's one of the reasons I went for this one over the W-Dragon version. But other than that I'm quite happy with this. It's surprisingly stable; I thought this pose would make it prone to toppling, but mine will stand even on carpet. Replaces my Papo Allosaurus at long last.

Safari Ltd Stegosaurus stenops
Scale: 1:30-1:35
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Upper Jurassic Laurasia
It's actually more like 1:25 if it literally depicts Sophie, but closer to 1:35 for a large Stegosaurus specimen. I'm not sure whether or how allometry would change proportions between Sophie and a maximum-size individual. Stegosaurus is another one of those taxa that is made very often, and perhaps as a result, people find smaller and smaller things to criticize, until all the existing interpretations feel a little unsatisfying. I never thought of this before, but maybe this is another good reason to have more taxonomically diverse offerings--it will mean we hear less often from self-professed experts on particular Standard Issue animals. I am, for example, pretty sick of hearing arguments about Ty***nosaurus lips. Anyway, this is a great Stegosaurus, replacing my also quite good Favorite Series 1 version.

Some good stegosaurs.

This year's Morrison trio from Safari:

PNSO Yangchuanosaurus
Scale: 1:25-1:30
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang
Middle Jurassic Laurasia
This is a really beautiful figure with an eye-catching paint job. I like PNSO best when they're making Chinese taxa that are not often made by other companies. There are dozens of dinosaur genera fitting this description, and literally thousands of non-dinosaur prehistoric species that are untapped. The one gripe I have is the jaw is a bit loose, and it has a slight underbite, but the teeth barely show at all with the mouth closed, which is a nice change of pace. This replaces the Safari Yangchuanosaurus from the Dinosaurs of China series, released 24 years ago.

It will actually stand freely on a table, but it's more stable on the base, and its feet almost perfectly fit the footprints. The leading foot is held in place by a vertical metal pin a little over a centimeter long.

It's definitely better made than the approximately contemporaneous Sinraptor from Vitae.

PNSO Chungkingosaurus
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang
Upper Jurassic Laurasia
It's in the popular battle-ready posture that many stegosaurs come in. The pose is more subtly and skillfully done than on the Schleich Kentrosaurus, for instance. It differs from the larger version in apparently having six thagomizer spikes instead of eight. I'm not really sure which is correct, but in any event it looks pretty good. I will probably replace my giant vinyl Chungkingosaurus with this one--I don't have much call for a 1:7 figure when a good 1:20 version is available.

Based on the simpler paint job, it plays second-fiddle somewhat to the gorgeous Yangchuanosaurus, but it's still a very nice figure in its own right.

They aren't really to scale with each other, unless the Yangchuanosaurus is a quite young individual. They look pretty good together; however, I'm a stickler, so I probably won't display them side by side.

Anyway, it's not as though the Chungkingosaurus needs the base to stand. If anybody wants additional comparison photos, feel free to leave a request--I'll do what I can to accommodate.

Mattel Coelurus (Jurassic World)
Scale: 1:11-1:14
Upper Jurassic Laurasia
As far as I know, this is the first Coelurus figure in more than 25 years. Despite being a JW figure, it's much better proportioned than the Thunder-Beasts (Multi Toy) action figure that it replaces. You all know how big a JW figure is, so I didn't bother to do comparison photos, but it's roughly to scale with the Kaiyodo Compsognathus (Jurassic Park III) and the Kaiyodo Rhamphorhynchus (Retro Classic). I'm pretty checked out of the JW franchise at this point, but I'm glad that Mattel is shining a light on a handful of underappreciated taxa.

KeU

Fantastic additions.
And it is always lovely when someone takes the time to accompany the photos with a detailed write up and their thoughts.
Plenty of kudos on the effort put in

The Morrison trio group shot is a gem.
But it does bother me Camarasaurus is looking the other way!

Killekor

Thanks for your thoughts, Halicoeres! As usual it's a pleasure to read them.
The Allosaurus it's just exceptional, and the Yangchuanosaurus is impressive (although I'm personally not really fond of the new Chunkingosaurus).
It's funny to think that, between all the brands that make underrepresented species, it's Mattel to make a Coelurus! Maybe this will encourage Safari, CollectA or Schleich (which is recently making some rare species) to make another!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

ceratopsian

Lovely shots and as informative a post as ever.  Must say I'm still in two minds about the Safari Stegosaurus.  I was really pleased to see your photos of the PNSO Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus.  I've been looking forward to buying this pair and I can see I'm not going to be disappointed!

Shonisaurus

I am very happy and I congratulate you on your new Halichoeres acquisitions. The thought about the yangchuanosaurus and the chungkingosaurus of PNSO as replacement respectively of the yangchuanosaurus of Safari and chungkingosaurus of vinyl of PNSO had it in my mind, they are much more superior figures in quality than I thought. Honestly I like the PNSO yangchuanosaurus more than other versions, which I observe that both figures that make up the PNSO set are not exactly big comparing their sizes with the Vitae syraptor and the Battat dacentrurus, anyway they are figures I want to receive how much earlier in my collection. I also congratulate you Halichoeres for the coelurus of Jurassic World, although it is not in my case a fan of that brand you can see that he is an acceptable figure. Enjoy them with health and thanks for sharing!

danmalcolm

I'd love to see a comparison shot with the camarasaurus and papos Allo if you haven't put it away yet.

...would also not mind seeing how the pnso yang looks next to the Allo.

Great collection. That yang looks sweet.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: danmalcolm on May 19, 2019, 07:27:11 PM
I'd love to see a comparison shot with the camarasaurus and papos Allo if you haven't put it away yet.

It is for me the best PVC yangchuanosaurus made to date.

Andanna

Thank you for not only posting pictures of your collection, but commenting on the models expertly. 

Halichoeres

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Quote from: KeU on May 19, 2019, 03:22:27 PM
The Morrison trio group shot is a gem.
But it does bother me Camarasaurus is looking the other way!
I tried to get them all to look the same way, but they kept blinking  ;)

Quote from: Killekor on May 19, 2019, 04:01:27 PM
It's funny to think that, between all the brands that make underrepresented species, it's Mattel to make a Coelurus! Maybe this will encourage Safari, CollectA or Schleich (which is recently making some rare species) to make another!
That would be nice. Small theropods are thin on the ground apart from dromaeosaurs.

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 19, 2019, 04:29:27 PM
Lovely shots and as informative a post as ever.  Must say I'm still in two minds about the Safari Stegosaurus.  I was really pleased to see your photos of the PNSO Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus.  I've been looking forward to buying this pair and I can see I'm not going to be disappointed!
In two minds because of the proportions or paint job? Something else? I am pretty fond of it, although it is certainly a different look for Stegosaurus than I'm used to.

Quote from: danmalcolm on May 19, 2019, 07:27:11 PM

Hope this helps:

Also worth noting: the Yang is perfectly in scale with the Mamenchisaurus from PNSO, which is great, because it's a better companion piece, geologically speaking, than Chungkingosaurus. (I have the Mamenchi, but it's not really close to hand right now, unfortunately.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: