News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mest

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 02, 2015, 03:35:40 AM

Sim, on Ornitholestes: yeah, I balked at first on getting the GeoWorld version, because it differs in so many respects from the real animal. But then collector's compulsion got the better of me...plus it was so cheap! FaunaFigures.com was having a sale. The only other one is this guy:

There is also a green version available. But this one is Chinese copy.

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 04, 2015, 06:33:52 PM
Quote from: Mitko on October 04, 2015, 06:21:04 PM
What species is the small blue-headed red-bodied dinosaur just above the Herrerasaurus? Looks very good. :)
It's Coelophysis (Kaiyodo Dinotales series 5). It is a fantastic little figure. There's also a version in bright oranges and yellows.

^ There's the color variant. Say, Halichoeres, you wouldn't be interested in a trade, would you?

Also, some traitorous part of my mind thinks that JP Ornitholestes is just super-cool.

Halichoeres

Quote from: mest on October 05, 2015, 01:39:16 PM

There is also a green version available. But this one is Chinese copy.
[dead image]
A Chap Mei knockoff! Never thought I'd see the day.

Quote from: Patrx on October 05, 2015, 03:42:57 PM

^ There's the color variant. Say, Halichoeres, you wouldn't be interested in a trade, would you?

Also, some traitorous part of my mind thinks that JP Ornitholestes is just super-cool.
I admit that I'm slightly less keen on that color scheme; sounds like you are too, huh? Mine also suffers from a broken arm that has been glued at least twice, so not sure you'd want to trade for that.

Yeah, I've thought about buying that Ornitholestes, but I either see it bundled with the Chap Mei Parasaurolophus for more than I want to spend, or in eBay lots just battered all to hell.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

My new pride and joy, a one-of-a-kind Diictodon sculpted and painted by forum member Mr. Challenger.

About 18 cm long, so 1:2-1:3 scale. This early dicynodont is one of the principal components of the Permian fauna of the Karoo.

There are even little spots on the snout where whiskers might go.

And the head is very symmetrical, which can be hard to achieve in 3 dimensions!

Homer for scale--it's a large piece! Definitely not a toy, but a piece of art.

And it even came with a Post-It size watercolor as a lagniappe. I can't praise Mr. Challenger highly enough for the quality of his work or the ease of dealing with him.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

RobinGoodfellow

What a unique model!  :o
It's really hard to find a replica of this animal in toy's world.
I'm start thinking about ordering one too...  ::)

Congrats for the acquisition.  ^-^

ceratopsian

Congratulations indeed.  It's a beautiful sculpt and one to treasure.  It looks extremely life-like and curious, especially in the head-on photo - almost as if it's inspecting the camera!  I love the soft stripe colour scheme too, especially across the eye area.

SBell

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on October 11, 2015, 05:35:42 PM
What a unique model!  :o
It's really hard to find a replica of this animal in toy's world.
I'm start thinking about ordering one too...  ::)

Congrats for the acquisition.  ^-^

As far as I know, there aren't any Diictodon. Other dicynodonts, yes, but not that genus.

Halichoeres

Thanks guys! @ceratopsian: you're right, it does look like it's checking out the camera, like at any moment it's going to start nibbling it. This model doesn't have any bad angles.  :))

Halichoeres

More synapsids of the Permian (at a much smaller scale). Oh, and a pteridophyte.

Kaiyodo Dimetrodon limbatus (Great Leaps Evolution set). Huge improvement over the Dinotales version. Replaced the Yujin version, which in turn replaced the original Carnegie. About 1:40-1:45.

One 2 Play Keratocephalus from the DinoWaurs line. It...isn't very good. But it's slim pickings for this genus and most other Permian animals. This one is about 1:50.

With the tree fern from Safari. The fiddleheads (new leaves) are opening in an impossible backward conformation. This would be sort of like having the elbows of a dinosaur angled toward each other from the shoulder girdle and meeting under the chest.

Ezikot

Kovu

Nice scores! The Diictodon is totally adorable - great colorations! The Dimetrodon is nice too! It's amazing how much detail Kaiyodo can pack into such a small package. Especially digging the eyelet designs on the sail.

Halichoeres

Halichoeres

Tetrapods of the Permian!

Coelurosauravus by Character Options for the Primeval action figure line. Weigeltisaurids formed their wings from elongated ribs, so this orientation would probably be pretty painful. And whereas Coelurosauravus did have a crest, it was transverse rather than longitudinal. Still, if you know a better toy of this genus, I'd like to hear about it. This one is about 1:7.

EDIT: I lied, weigeltisaurid wings weren't built from ribs, but from novel dermal bones, so the pose is maybe a little more plausible than I initially thought.

From the Gimiki's Journey line by Sellanomer, a juvenile Pareiasaurus. This genus is actually known from juvenile remains, so I'm confident saying that this is about 1:5.

Also from the Gimiki's Journey line, a juvenile Moschops. I'm not aware of any juvenile remains for this genus (though I could have missed something), so I'm guessing when I say this is about 1:4. I sometimes think about getting the Moschops from the Definitely Dinosaurs line, but I strongly prefer non-articulated figures.

[dead image]
Speaking of which: this is the same sculpt as the JP Lyceanops, though intended as "Tyrannonops," and it's the ugliest paint job. I got this in an eBay lot and it's just kinda hanging out on my Permian shelf until somebody makes a good Lycaenops. It's a smaller animal than I thought: this one is about 1:5.

The Permian is so underrepresented, especially considering how much weird stuff was around.

Another new addition, Kaiyodo Diplocaulus version 1.2. Like almost all of the 1.2 versions, an improvement on the original. I'm hoping that a future CapsuleQ set will feature an updated Diplocaulus with the membranes connecting its head to its limbs. About 1:12.

Joining its friends.

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

SBell

What is Gimiki's journey? It appears that I missed something!

Halichoeres

Quote from: joossa on October 18, 2015, 08:47:19 PM
Diplocaulus is so cute! <3

It really is!

Quote from: SBell on October 18, 2015, 10:50:58 PM
I'm surprised you've missed anything! There's a short thread about it here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1293.0
I have no idea what it's based on (a TV show? A comic book?), but the toy line is 24 small figures, a little bigger than toob dinos, all of baby dinosaurs (and pterosaurs, etc.). They're a little cutesy and simple, but there are several species that don't turn up very often elsewhere. They come with lenticular trading cards that alternate between the baby and the adult form. I got mine at urzeitshop.de, where they were cheap, although the shipping was a bit dear because they only use DHL. I have Eudimorphodon, Montanoceratops, Moschops, Mussaurus, and Pareiasaurus.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 19, 2015, 04:24:11 PM
Quote from: joossa on October 18, 2015, 08:47:19 PM
Diplocaulus is so cute! <3

It really is!

Quote from: SBell on October 18, 2015, 10:50:58 PM
I'm surprised you've missed anything! There's a short thread about it here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1293.0
I have no idea what it's based on (a TV show? A comic book?), but the toy line is 24 small figures, a little bigger than toob dinos, all of baby dinosaurs (and pterosaurs, etc.). They're a little cutesy and simple, but there are several species that don't turn up very often elsewhere. They come with lenticular trading cards that alternate between the baby and the adult form. I got mine at urzeitshop.de, where they were cheap, although the shipping was a bit dear because they only use DHL. I have Eudimorphodon, Montanoceratops, Moschops, Mussaurus, and Pareiasaurus.

I probably passed it by becuase they are 'cute' figures. But given some of the specie,s I may need to find a friend in Europe to help me out (and I think I might have one lined up!--been waiting for something I need in trade...).

Halichoeres

Added a couple of new Permian synapsids:
[dead image]
Favorite Dimetrodon. A bit glossy, even iridescent, but really well sculped and painted. And no scales! I'm not sure if there are any skin impressions from Dimetrodon, but there are some for Estemmenosuchus, which had no scales, and there are some for Archaeothyris, which had scales at least on the belly. Estemmenosuchus is a therapsid, and therefore more closely related to mammals than to Dimetrodon, but Archaeothyris is even more basal, so as far as I can tell sphenacodontids fall right smack into an ambiguous zone. On another note, I don't know enough about the genus to be able to tell which species it is, but assuming D. grandis, this is about 1:20-1:25 scale.

Bullyland Edaphosaurus. This and the Batrachotomus were the last Bullyland figures I wanted, so I'm happy on the Bullyland front at least until they announce their 2016 releases (bummer that they skipped this year). Kind of amazing how many sailed animals were around in the Permian and Triassic, considering that there basically aren't any now. Is it just that animals have figured out better ways to thermoregulate? This figure is billed as 1:30 but I think it's a little closer to 1:25.

With ~contemporaries: mostly synapsids, but one procolophonomorph and one temnospondyl. I kept the Papo Dimetrodon because it looks pretty damn good and I can't refute the scale hypothesis (but if someone can I'd be glad to hear the argument). I'm not missing much from the Permian, but I sincerely hope that more Permian animals will be made soon.

Uroplatus

Nice, i thought the Edaphosaurus was marked as 1:20 on it's belly but not sure, and not able to check mine right now...

Hydrosaurus sp. have sails , but that's the only extant animal that i can think of right now. :)

joossa

Hmm... your Papo Dimetrodon is distinctively different than mine.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: