News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Uroplatus on October 22, 2015, 09:35:09 PM
Nice, i thought the Edaphosaurus was marked as 1:20 on it's belly but not sure, and not able to check mine right now...

Hydrosaurus sp. have sails , but that's the only extant animal that i can think of right now. :)

I double checked mine after getting home, and it definitely says 1:30, although most of the Triassic guys say 1:20. I forgot about Hydrosaurus! That's a pretty cool lizard.

Quote from: joossa on October 23, 2015, 03:52:30 AM
Hmm... your Papo Dimetrodon is distinctively different than mine.
Interesting, how so? Papos do vary quite a lot.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

joossa

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 23, 2015, 06:14:03 AM
Quote from: joossa on October 23, 2015, 03:52:30 AM
Hmm... your Papo Dimetrodon is distinctively different than mine.
Interesting, how so? Papos do vary quite a lot.

The paint on yours is much lighter/brighter. Here's mine:
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Not sure just where the little guy falls in line with the other flying lizards you named, but this little guy Kuehneosaurus, is present in at least three or four of the old Aurora prehistoric scene models. Also with the dimetrodon, there is a small Diplocaulus, I distinctly remember, because I traded mine to Stemturtle !
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Uroplatus

Quote from: Uroplatus on October 22, 2015, 09:35:09 PM
Nice, i thought the Edaphosaurus was marked as 1:20 on it's belly but not sure, and not able to check mine right now...

Hydrosaurus sp. have sails , but that's the only extant animal that i can think of right now. :)

I double checked mine after getting home, and it definitely says 1:30, although most of the Triassic guys say 1:20. I forgot about Hydrosaurus! That's a pretty cool lizard.

Weird, mine says 1:20, and looking back at the pics of the one i traded with Georassic that one says 1:20 as well.  :o

Halichoeres

Quote from: joossa on October 23, 2015, 06:58:32 AM

The paint on yours is much lighter/brighter. Here's mine:
Yours is quite a bit darker, but some of the brightness on mine might be the image processing--I ran the photo through Snapseed's HDR filter to even out the depth of field, but one side effect is slightly exaggerated color saturation.

Quote from: Uroplatus on October 23, 2015, 04:06:12 PM

Weird, mine says 1:20, and looking back at the pics of the one i traded with Georassic that one says 1:20 as well.  :o
How very odd! I checked a third time and yup, 1:30. I guess we've found a variant? Although you got mine and yours and Georassic's all the same place, right?

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 23, 2015, 07:53:04 AM
Not sure just where the little guy falls in line with the other flying lizards you named, but this little guy Kuehneosaurus, is present in at least three or four of the old Aurora prehistoric scene models. Also with the dimetrodon, there is a small Diplocaulus, I distinctly remember, because I traded mine to Stemturtle !
I'd love to have a Kuehneosaurus! Not sure I'd want to shell out for one of the old Aurora kits to get one, but that would be pretty cool. I remember seeing photos of yours in the Leaping Lizards thread.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Uroplatus

Yes i did, i have checked again as well and mine says 1:20, and you can see the one Geo has, including the belly printing, in this thread...

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3831.0

So yes, i guess we found a variant. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

You can often find the old Kuehneosaurus piece in lots of pieces from models from that time period..I seem to remember it was included in several of the models...off hand I was thinking it came with both the Large horned ceratopsians, the Terror bird, the swamp...and maybe another kit or two besides...point being some of them were reissued by Revell I think and....yep there ya go. I know it was part of both the Styracosaurus and Triceratops models which were both re-issued at least once if not more.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 24, 2015, 03:28:53 AM
You can often find the old Kuehneosaurus piece in lots of pieces from models from that time period..I seem to remember it was included in several of the models...off hand I was thinking it came with both the Large horned ceratopsians, the Terror bird, the swamp...and maybe another kit or two besides...point being some of them were reissued by Revell I think and....yep there ya go. I know it was part of both the Styracosaurus and Triceratops models which were both re-issued at least once if not more.

How anachronistic! I'll start keeping an eye on model listings on eBay. Thanks for the tip!

Halichoeres

Tetrapodomorphs of the Devonian! Many are known, in part because so many paleontologists are interested in the water-to-land transition, so in recent years they've expended great effort to sample "Romer's Gap." So far, though, only a few have been made into toys. Somehow, one still can't get a Tiktaalik or an Elpistostege, except maybe on Shapeways.

Yujin Acanthostega, gashapon version. There were two color variants; I prefer this one, which strikes me as appropriate for a mostly-aquatic predator. Replaces the Kaiyodo Dinotales Acanthostega, which is pretty good, but not as good as the Yujin. About 1:8.

Kaiyodo Ichthyostega (Great Leaps in Evolution exhibit set). Mine, unfortunately, has a bit of paint slop on the eye, but I love this figure. When Ichthyostega was first described, people assumed it had five digits, but later preparation of the limbs found that it probably had seven, though the manus and pes may have been somewhat externally syndactylous. This shows six external digits, which is the likeliest number. Kaiyodo really nails stuff like that. Replaced the five-fingered Cog Ltd. (Tedco) version in my collection. About 1:12.

They look good together. Hopefully won't be too long before they're joined by Tiktaalik, Hynerpeton, or Metaxygnathus.

Georassic

Late to the Edapho-scale discussion, but yep, mine is clearly marked 1/20...

So Yujin's Acanthostega is better than Kaiyodo's? I have no Yujins, and I don't know anything about the line, so now I'm curious about them...

SBell

Quote from: Georassic on November 02, 2015, 11:58:51 PM

So Yujin's Acanthostega is better than Kaiyodo's? I have no Yujins, and I don't know anything about the line, so now I'm curious about them...

I would tend to agree--although there are 3 versions from Yujin (the original is on the black base with the same general paint pattern, from the NHK set; the other 2 are on ground bases and one is much lighter). I still like my little purple Kaiyodo guy though!

Halichoeres

Yeah, that's my opinion anyway. On the whole I think Yujin figures are similar in quality to Kaiyodos. They're made of a much less brittle plastic than Dinotales, more like the CapsuleQ sets, and so they're also less nerve-wracking to handle and display. Anyway, for the Acanthostega there were two gashapons, and another on like a little plinth for the Miracle Planet set (as Sean indicated). My impression is that the gashapons are a bit easier to get. Most of them were actually in my trade thread until a couple weeks ago--I only ended up keeping this one, the Henkelotherium, and the NHK/Miracle Planet Haikouella (which forum member Chad gave me).

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 03, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Yeah, that's my opinion anyway. On the whole I think Yujin figures are similar in quality to Kaiyodos. They're made of a much less brittle plastic than Dinotales, more like the CapsuleQ sets, and so they're also less nerve-wracking to handle and display. Anyway, for the Acanthostega there were two gashapons, and another on like a little plinth for the Miracle Planet set (as Sean indicated). My impression is that the gashapons are a bit easier to get. Most of them were actually in my trade thread until a couple weeks ago--I only ended up keeping this one, the Henkelotherium, and the NHK/Miracle Planet Haikouella (which forum member Chad gave me).

The NHK is much rarer--it came out briefly, associated with a (kind of boring, Japan-Canadian produced) TV show. The range is more broad though; some other little gmes are the Precambrian Kimberella and Charniodiscus, and the Tetonius. None of which were re-released when the set was turned into a gashapon. Probably because we needed 4 different Allosaurus colours.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on November 03, 2015, 01:58:01 PM
The NHK is much rarer--it came out briefly, associated with a (kind of boring, Japan-Canadian produced) TV show. The range is more broad though; some other little gmes are the Precambrian Kimberella and Charniodiscus, and the Tetonius. None of which were re-released when the set was turned into a gashapon. Probably because we needed 4 different Allosaurus colours.

PLUS the secret 5th allosaur! Really a bummer that with 21 figures, there were only 8 unique sculpts.

Libraraptor

Staring drooling at your collection,say, do you already own a Bullyland Protochirotherium?!

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 03, 2015, 05:51:00 PM
Quote from: SBell on November 03, 2015, 01:58:01 PM

PLUS the secret 5th allosaur! Really a bummer that with 21 figures, there were only 8 unique sculpts.

I know--especially considering that the orginal set has 14 (three hominds on one base). Plus the skulls.

Georassic

Most of them were actually in my trade thread until a couple weeks ago--I only ended up keeping this one, the Henkelotherium, and the NHK/Miracle Planet Haikouella (which forum member Chad gave me).
[/quote]
Unfortunately, I likely never gave them a second glance since I wasn't familiar with the line. You have a lot of brands/lines I've never heard of anywhere else. :-)
Sounds like my wishlist will be a-growing again...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 03, 2015, 08:39:42 PM
Staring drooling at your collection,say, do you already own a Bullyland Protochirotherium?!

Thanks! I actually do have a Protochirotherium. I forgot to highlight it when I revisited the new Triassic additions, but you can see it in the overview photos. It's my only ichnotaxon. :)) Now I'm just missing the Odontochelys from Joy City! ;)

Libraraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 04, 2015, 06:13:25 PM

Thanks! I actually do have a Protochirotherium. I forgot to highlight it when I revisited the new Triassic additions, but you can see it in the overview photos. It's my only ichnotaxon. :)) Now I'm just missing the Odontochelys from Joy City! ;)

Okay! Then I probably didn´t look at your pics carefully enough ;)

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 04, 2015, 06:13:25 PM

you'll have to get the Safari Fossils toob--you'll have a few more ichnofossils, plus a few taxa in fossil form!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: