News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Retiring Safaris

Started by Takama, June 05, 2015, 11:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Things that are similar in this post and John's are because I wrote the parts in this post before John posted and due to differences I think it's best to leave my post as it is, and add this note.  We had some similar thoughts! :)

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 06, 2015, 07:59:19 PM
Is the Carnegie Elasmosaurus still in production, and has it been available for the last year or so? If so, Safari Ltd have been competing with themselves on this genus, and maybe this explains why the Wild Safari didn't sell as well as expected. Maybe the erroneous swan-necked version has more appeal to your average punter.
It's said in the first post here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3188.0 that Carnegie Collection figures will only be available until supplies end.  I've had a look on Safari's website and they still have both the Carnegie Elasmosaurus and WS Elasmosaurus, as well as many other discontinued figures, available: https://www.safariltd.com/category/dinosaurs?page=4  The Carnegie one even costs more than the WS one for some reason!  I agree with tanystropheus and stargatedalek though, I think the deal breaker for the WS Elasmosaurus was its colour scheme.

There are also two other things I think might have made the WS Elasmo sell more.  These apply to the WS Liopleurodon too as well as quite a number of other plesiosaur figures.

The first thing regards the skin.  Apparently finds of plesiosaur skin show it was smooth, without apparent scales but with small wrinkles.  Even before finding this out, quite smooth and streamlined skin was what I expected plesiosaur skin to be like  Both the WS Elasmo and Lio have skin that doesn't seem to be like this, which makes me like them less.  I had the Carnegie Elasmosaurus as a kid and while I liked it a lot (I've always really liked long-necked plesiosauroids) the rough skin on it bothered me even back then.  It looks like even when I was very young I found rough skin didn't seem right on it.

The other thing is a tail fin.  This is also something that to me seems like plesiosaurs would have.  Without one it seems like they wouldn't be reaching their full potential.  It turns out there's good evidence for a tail fin from both plesiosauroids (Seeleyosaurus, Cryptoclidus, Pantosaurus) and a pliosauroid (Rhomaleosaurus).  But as far as I'm aware the only plesiosaur toy/figure with a tail fin is the CollectA Rhomaleosaurus.  In fact, it seems the default for restoring plesiosaurs is without a tail fin, which I find puzzling!  Besides there being evidence for giving tail fins to plesiosaur figures, I think it would also make them more interesting and make them stand out from other plesiosaur figures that lack a tail fin.

The WS Elasmosaurus and Liopleurodon are still both great figures and the plesiosaur figures I currently like most.  I'm surprised the Elasmosaurus and Nigersaurus are being retired as they're both clearly good figures.

Takama

Well i was going through Safaris 2015 Collectors Book, and it still featured the Edmontosaurus which was a Dinosaur that Dan said was Retiring this year. Obviously they changed plans.

What im saying Is that there is still hope that Either the Nigersaurus or the Elasmosaurus Models can still be out for another year or so.

Shonisaurus

Elasmosaurus disappearing current company would not have classic we know unless you make such a figure Bullyland. Carnegie disappeared, withdrew make Schleich the long, Papo and Collecta, have not yet been released in conduct that figure. There would only be possibilities Rebor would make a figure of that species, but would have to wait long for marketing their products is very slow.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 07, 2015, 01:29:41 PM
Elasmosaurus disappearing current company would not have classic we know unless you make such a figure Bullyland. Carnegie disappeared, withdrew make Schleich the long, Papo and Collecta, have not yet been released in conduct that figure. There would only be possibilities Rebor would make a figure of that species, but would have to wait long for marketing their products is very slow.

I wouldn't be surprised if REBOR selects Elasmosaurus as one of their first marine prehistorics; it seems to fit in stylistically with their products. I have a feeling Papo's next (prehistoric) marine reptile will be Liopleurodon courtesy of German sculptor (Papo's prehistoric marine reptiles and mammals may adhere to a separate marketing cycle than the rest of their core dinosaurs...overlaps do occur, I suppose) . CollectA is best suited for prehistoric marine reptiles (e.g. Elasmosaurus) as they have demonstrated exceptional strength in that particular area (however, the likelihood of CollectA making an Elasmo is rather slim). And, Schleich seems to exhibit some sort of amnesia regarding their previous ability to make marine prehistorics - they did make a relatively good Elasmo several years ago (inaccuracies, notwithstanding)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 08, 2015, 02:24:12 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if REBOR selects Elasmosaurus as one of their first marine prehistorics; it seems to fit in stylistically with their products. I have a feeling Papo's next (prehistoric) marine reptile will be Liopleurodon courtesy of German sculptor (Papo's prehistoric marine reptiles and mammals may adhere to a separate marketing cycle than the rest of their core dinosaurs...overlaps do occur, I suppose) . CollectA is best suited for prehistoric marine reptiles (e.g. Elasmosaurus) as they have demonstrated exceptional strength in that particular area (however, the likelihood of CollectA making an Elasmo is rather slim). And, Schleich seems to exhibit some sort of amnesia regarding their previous ability to make marine prehistorics - they did make a relatively good Elasmo several years ago (inaccuracies, notwithstanding)

Tanystropheus, where did you get the news of liopleurodon Papo? It would be great news.

Then I agree with you with regard to elasmosaurus Schleich within what are the figures of Schleich, marine reptiles were good, especially his Shonisaurus, it was pretty accurate.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 08, 2015, 03:04:49 PM

Tanystropheus, where did you get the news of liopleurodon Papo? It would be great news.

Then I agree with you with regard to elasmosaurus Schleich within what are the figures of Schleich, marine reptiles were good, especially his Shonisaurus, it was pretty accurate.
I don't think he knows for sure. He just said he had a feeling.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 08, 2015, 03:22:26 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 08, 2015, 03:04:49 PM
This is the internet. It is now fact and the Wikipedia page will be updated as such! ;D

But really, even if Papo makes one, it will probably be of about equal quality to their previous marine reptiles. That is not a compliment.

I don't think he knows for sure. He just said he had a feeling.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.