You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antorbitalfenestrae

I'm hoping for the hornbill Zhenyuanlong because I already like the sculpt and hornbills are very very cool (tbt the "Avisapiens" concept with intelligent non-avian dinosaurs based on hornbills)

Flaffy

A Chinese wild pheasant's colourings on the Zhenyuanlong would look great too.  :))

Victoria's Cantina

Does anyone know... if I change my pledge from the Raptor Pack to just the Atrociraptor, can I still add on Tsaagan? I've decided I want the blue Velociraptor instead of the orange one and don't need both. I'd rather save that money for one of the stretch goals.

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on May 19, 2016, 01:52:57 AM
Quote from: Sim on May 19, 2016, 12:23:47 AM
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing.  I think the current Dromaeosaurus looks excellent, it's one of the ones I've pledged for.  I'm surprised so many want it in another colour scheme.  As for Pyroraptor, well, I wonder how many voting for it know that it's appearance is almost entirely unknown.  I personally think the Saurornitholestes langstoni / Greater roadrunner combination would look best out of the options, but it's also the only one that would be a new species - the much more completely known species of Saurornitholestes.  The other three options would just be alternate colour schemes for species already in the line.

It is a fan's vote though...  I did a tally and it seems Saurornitholestes has about 10 less votes than Pyroraptor and Dromaeosaurus which have almost the same amount of votes.  Zhenyuanlong is far behind the other 3.

Yeah, I fully agree. Also, IMO, the current Sauronitholestes color scheme  looks a bit bland too another reason I was hoping a S. Langstoni / Roadrunner would've been made. I agree the current Dromeosaur already looks good. :(

Chris

Yeah I agree, I find the current Saurornitholetes colour scheme looks a bit bland too.  I personally think the current colour scheme choices for Dromaeosaurus, Zhenyuanlong and Pyroraptor already look good.  I think ones that would benefit from a new colour scheme most would be Saurornitholetes first as it would allow for it to be a new species, and then Adasaurus as it's colour scheme looks so similar to that of Velociraptor mongoliensis!

Flaffy

A roadrunner Sauronitholestes would look beautiful! I heard that Sauronitholestes is lagging behind by a few votes, I hope that changes. :-[

Sim

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 19, 2016, 02:57:35 PM
A roadrunner Sauronitholestes would look beautiful! I heard that Sauronitholestes is lagging behind by a few votes, I hope that changes. :-[

A lot of people have voted for the Saurornitholestes, it just seems a repainted Dromaeosaurus or Pyroraptor have been getting a little more votes.  I really want a figure of Saurornitholestes langstoni, it's the only dromaeosaurid known to be in the size range David's making which is known from good fossil remains but isn't in this raptor series.  The species of Saurornitholestes that is in this raptor series is only known from a fragment of the skull.  That combined with its colour scheme is why I'm not getting it.

I've currently pledged for Velociraptor mongoliensis, Dromaeosaurus and Linheraptor.  The Saurornitholestes sculpt just needs to be repainted to represent the one missing species and I would pledge for it too.

I wish very fragmentary species wouldn't get treated like they are known from more than they actually are and receive priority over species that are known from much more complete remains.  Pyroraptor, for example is known from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroraptor#/media/File:Pyroraptor_fossil_01.png

Flaffy

The contents for the accessory packs have been announced! Each pack will also include an extra dinosaur (not the same size as the raptors of course).  ;D ;D ;D
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/992645470/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1580576

Blade-of-the-Moon

These accessory packs sound too good to pass up...

We're down to the last week now- man this has gone by so fast!

Today I wanted to show you a preview of the painted Saurornitholestes prototype. Full unveiling on Saturday, but I thought you all might enjoy a sneak peek at what's ahead. My right-hand figure painter, Matt Holt, has done it again with this one. Take a look at these shots he took for me after he finished.

Another amazing paint job Matt! Looking forward to getting this in-hand tomorrow.
New stretch goals

And the other item for today is the announcement of the next stretch goals and what they will contain.

So first we have three accessory sets, all taking into consideration your suggestions and comments from before. These items are near final but are subject to change if needed. They are:

1/6th Wetland accessory pack

swamp themed base with translucent water effect (can connect with existing bases)
    5" Bambiraptor (shoulder and neck articulation)
    2 fern clusters
    1 horsetail cluster
    egg clutch w/ removable hatchling
    1 long posing rod 3.5" (for jumping poses- posing rods are interchangeable with regular posing rods and bases)
    2 base connector clips (straight and tilted)
    1 pivoting figure clip

1/6th Desert accessory pack

desert themed base with dino tracks (can connect with existing bases)
     6" Mononychus (jaw and neck articulation)
    desert rock cluster
    protoceratops skull
    1 long posing rod 3.5" (for jumping poses- posing rods are interchangeable with regular posing rods and bases)
    2 base connector clips (straight and tilted)
    1 pivoting figure clip

1/6th Forest accessory pack

Forest themed base with fallen leaves and small vegetation (can connect with existing bases)
    5" Microraptor (shoulder and neck articulation)
    1 fallen cycad tree trunk
    5" Araucaria tree
    one long posing rod 3.5" (for jumping poses- posing rods are interchangeable with regular posing rods and bases)
    2 base connector clips
    1 pivoting figure clip

empire3569

I am definitely going to add one of those forest accessory packs to my pledge! Should look great with my Atrociraptor. I do have one question though; does anyone have details about the base connector clips and pivoting figure clips? I apologize if they have already been explained, but it's hard to keep up with the comments section on the kickstarter

Flaffy

Quote from: empire3569 on May 19, 2016, 05:39:52 PM
I am definitely going to add one of those forest accessory packs to my pledge! Should look great with my Atrociraptor. I do have one question though; does anyone have details about the bar connector clips and pivoting figure clips? I apologize if they have already been explained, but it's hard to keep up with the comments section on the kickstarter
I agree, the comment section on Kickstarter can be confusing and it's hard to find the comments you're looking for.  :-[

Sim

The accessory sets sound very nice.  I think the only part that really interest me about them are the Microraptor and Mononykus though.  The Mononykus would be the first ever toy/figure/model of an alvarezsaur, I think?  I'm not keen on Bambiraptor as it seems likely it's actually a juvenile Saurornitholestes langstoni.  I've mentioned this to David and asked if the very long-snouted dromaeosaur Buitreraptor could be done instead of Bambiraptor.  I'd really like a Buitreraptor figure!  Here's the comment: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/992645470/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1580576?cursor=13405816#comment-13405815

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm likely in for all three of those regardless..they'll be great dio fodder.

empire3569

I actually just changed my base pledge from the Atrociraptor to the Velociraptor; since the only stretch goal I am getting is the Dromaeosaurus, which is my favorite of all the sculpts, I thought the Atrociraptor sculpt was just a little too similar (with the smaller primaries and deep skull). So I guess Ill have to get that desert diorama with the Protoceratops skull!

Sim

Quote from: empire3569 on May 19, 2016, 08:00:34 PM
I actually just changed my base pledge from the Atrociraptor to the Velociraptor; since the only stretch goal I am getting is the Dromaeosaurus, which is my favorite of all the sculpts, I thought the Atrociraptor sculpt was just a little too similar (with the smaller primaries and deep skull). So I guess Ill have to get that desert diorama with the Protoceratops skull!

And it seems it will come with an alvarezsaur!  I think this will be the first ever mass produced alvarezsaur figure!  And, of course, the first ever Mononykus figure.

empire3569

Quote from: Victoria B on May 19, 2016, 08:39:16 AM
Does anyone know... if I change my pledge from the Raptor Pack to just the Atrociraptor, can I still add on Tsaagan? I've decided I want the blue Velociraptor instead of the orange one and don't need both. I'd rather save that money for one of the stretch goals.

I believe David said you can now add any of the original three to your pledge, but they are 40$ instead of 35$

Roselaar

Oh bloody heck, the expansion packs do sound neat! For now, I'm spending enough dough already, so I'll skip these for later. My wallet can only take so much. :)

Appalachiosaurus

Why Microraptor and Mononychus? Neither of those lived with any of the dromaeosaurs being made.

Sim

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 19, 2016, 11:21:34 PM
Why Microraptor and Mononychus? Neither of those lived with any of the dromaeosaurs being made.

Mononykus and Adasaurus appear to have coexisted.  Unless Saurornitholestes langstoni is made, I don't know of any evidence for Bambiraptor coexisting with any of the other dromaeosaurs being made.

antorbitalfenestrae

One thing I just realized is that in the package art, the placement of the primary feathers seems a bit off? I just noticed it and it's starting to bother me. It looks like the feathers just attach to the wrist as opposed to the second finger. I think I saw somewhere that it was that way on the toys just for technical reasons, but there's no reason why it should be that way on the art. It's most noticeable on the Dromaeosaurus and Adsaurus.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 19, 2016, 11:42:28 PM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 19, 2016, 11:21:34 PM

Mononykus and Adasaurus appear to have coexisted.  Unless Saurornitholestes langstoni is made, I don't know of any evidence for Bambiraptor coexisting with any of the other dromaeosaurs being made.

Yeah, but Adasaurus lived in a swamp not a desert. You are right about Bambiraptor too, mistook the two species there.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: