You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

I will admit to being a bird dummy.  What bird is the one he's using for Zhenyuanlong?

I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Halichoeres

That bird has an extremely literal name: the red-billed blue magpie (Urocissa erythroryncha).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

antorbitalfenestrae

We don't have to choose exactly which raptor we'd be getting as an add-on until after the KS with the backer survey thing, right? I think my plan right now is to get the hornbill Zhenyuanlong if it gets unlocked, and if it doesn't I'll get the roadrunner Saurornitholestes, and if that doesn't get unlocked or if I end up really liking the Balaur when we see more of the sculpt I'll get that one. I think. It's a lot.

(Unrelated but does anyone watch Twin Peaks? I showed the project to my friend and it said that the varied thrush is the bird in the TP intro, and that it would probably get the Pyroraptor if not for the cost...)

Dobber

Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 21, 2016, 10:40:20 PM
We don't have to choose exactly which raptor we'd be getting as an add-on until after the KS with the backer survey thing, right? I think my plan right now is to get the hornbill Zhenyuanlong if it gets unlocked, and if it doesn't I'll get the roadrunner Saurornitholestes, and if that doesn't get unlocked or if I end up really liking the Balaur when we see more of the sculpt I'll get that one. I think. It's a lot.

(Unrelated but does anyone watch Twin Peaks? I showed the project to my friend and it said that the varied thrush is the bird in the TP intro, and that it would probably get the Pyroraptor if not for the cost...)

Correct, you specify which stretch goal raptor's you want in the Backerkit Survey. I'm just curious if we can still change our selections after the survey while he is still working on the sculpts.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Arul

Yutyrannus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 21, 2016, 08:10:21 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 21, 2016, 07:58:32 PM
Will the deadline be extended, because I really want the last three accessory packs but I doubt five days will be enough time to fund them all...
I don't think it's possible to extend the deadline on Kickstarter.  :-\ I have the same worries as you, fearing that the accessory packs may not be funded in time. Lets all just cross our fingers, up our pledges and hope for the best.
That's unfortunate, especially since the one I want the most is the very last one, and I actually want these accessory packs more than most of the raptors.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dobber on May 21, 2016, 11:28:33 PM
Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 21, 2016, 10:40:20 PM

Correct, you specify which stretch goal raptor's you want in the Backerkit Survey. I'm just curious if we can still change our selections after the survey while he is still working on the sculpts.

Chris
To the best of my knowledge, there is no set time limit to when you can complete your survey, so if you want to save it until he finishes the sculpts, I believe you can do so.  Just make sure you specify what you want before he starts shipping.  ;)

EDIT: Just upped my pledge to add a third raptor.  It's either going to be Balaur, Adasaurus, or the Dromeosaurus with kestral colors.  I'll have to mull those over, especially waiting to see the prototype of Balaur.

Sim

I imagine if the ceratopsian series follows this raptor one, the large figures will all be Late Cretaceous ceratopsians, quite possibly all ceratopsids.  I think this due to the part-sharing approach used in this raptor series and because of the species in the image:

If accessory packs were made for them, I think it would be nice for one of the species in the packs to be a Psittacosaurus as it's an interesting and unique-looking ceratopsian genus.  However, wouldn't that put it in the same situation Buitreraptor is in now?  For me it's worth getting these species from the groups the lines are focusing on even if they didn't coexist with the larger figures.  I think it's nice to have them alongside each other, and maybe they'll be able to go well with species from future series too.  That's just how I feel about this though...

Quote from: Dobber on May 21, 2016, 09:10:32 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 21, 2016, 05:48:24 PM
Quote from: Dobber on May 21, 2016, 12:25:13 PM
I may also change the Adasaurus since it's coloring is SO similar to Velociraptor....idk. I want to ask David why he chose that particular color scheme, but I don't want to some like I'm complaining.

Hehe, I also wanted to ask David why he chose that colour scheme for Adasaurus given it's similarity to the original Velociraptor's, but I too didn't want to sound like I'm complaining!  Especially since I've already enthusiastically asked/said quite a bit!  According to a Facebook post the colour inspirations are the bearded vulture (for Velociraptor) and ornate hawk-eagle (for Adasaurus).  Comparing the two birds on Google images, it looks like the Adasaurus might look more different from the Velociraptor than I thought.

Wow, your right! I see where the artwork is going now.....but I don't think it does the Hawk Eagle's colors justice. Maybe because it's in shadow or something. It looked like it had a similar black slash around the eye's but I can now see what he was going for. Can you post a link or list for what the bird inspirations are?

Chris

Here's a link to the Facebook post I saw with a list of what the bird inspirations are :): link

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: Sim on May 22, 2016, 04:33:06 AM
I imagine if the ceratopsian series follows this raptor one, the large figures will all be Late Cretaceous ceratopsians, quite possibly all ceratopsids.  I think this due to the part-sharing approach used in this raptor series and because of the species in the image:

If accessory packs were made for them, I think it would be nice for one of the species in the packs to be a Psittacosaurus as it's an interesting and unique-looking ceratopsian genus.  However, wouldn't that put it in the same situation Buitreraptor is in now?  For me it's worth getting these species from the groups the lines are focusing on even if they didn't coexist with the larger figures.  I think it's nice to have them alongside each other, and maybe they'll be able to go well with species from future series too.  That's just how I feel about this though...

Quote from: Dobber on May 21, 2016, 09:10:32 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 21, 2016, 05:48:24 PM
Quote from: Dobber on May 21, 2016, 12:25:13 PM
I may also change the Adasaurus since it's coloring is SO similar to Velociraptor....idk. I want to ask David why he chose that particular color scheme, but I don't want to some like I'm complaining.

Hehe, I also wanted to ask David why he chose that colour scheme for Adasaurus given it's similarity to the original Velociraptor's, but I too didn't want to sound like I'm complaining!  Especially since I've already enthusiastically asked/said quite a bit!  According to a Facebook post the colour inspirations are the bearded vulture (for Velociraptor) and ornate hawk-eagle (for Adasaurus).  Comparing the two birds on Google images, it looks like the Adasaurus might look more different from the Velociraptor than I thought.

Wow, your right! I see where the artwork is going now.....but I don't think it does the Hawk Eagle's colors justice. Maybe because it's in shadow or something. It looked like it had a similar black slash around the eye's but I can now see what he was going for. Can you post a link or list for what the bird inspirations are?

Chris

Here's a link to the Facebook post I saw with a list of what the bird inspirations are :): link

You're probably correct, and since all of his figures are in scale with one another (At least, I think, I am not sure) that would mean the parts-sharing gimmick would restrict him to ceratopsians of relatively the same size. I would think that maybe chasmosaurs or centrosaurs would be the focus group.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Roselaar

Isn't it likely Mr. Silva will produce the expansion packs eventually now that he has the money to start production on this line? He's already got things all mapped out, I doubt he'll ignore it entirely down the road. Or so I hope, since these packs do looks great!

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Roselaar on May 22, 2016, 11:35:32 AM
Isn't it likely Mr. Silva will produce the expansion packs eventually now that he has the money to start production on this line? He's already got things all mapped out, I doubt he'll ignore it entirely down the road. Or so I hope, since these packs do looks great!
That's kinda what I've been hoping, cause it doesn't look too likely that they'll be funded in time.  It's a shame, I'd love a iridescent black Microraptor.

stargatedalek

I'm a lot more interested in these expansion packs than any of the main dinosaurs. I'm still going to hold back on funding and see how everything plays out with the production for this line though (mainly out of those insane international shipping prices, but also out of bad Kickstarter experiences in the past).

terrorchicken

^me too! Im happy with just one raptor but I really want a wetlands or forest set.

QuoteIt's a shame, I'd love a iridescent black Microraptor.

we have the cousins of the bird being used for reference, boat tailed grackles, all over the place here. The males are stunning iridescent sleek black birds. I wonder how he'll get the black iridescent effect...

antorbitalfenestrae

We're only about $40 away from getting the roadrunner Saurornitholestes, and apparently we'll see the Zhenyuanlong package art later today!! hype!!!

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 22, 2016, 04:36:34 PM
I'm a lot more interested in these expansion packs than any of the main dinosaurs. I'm still going to hold back on funding and see how everything plays out with the production for this line though (mainly out of those insane international shipping prices, but also out of bad Kickstarter experiences in the past).

Why's that? Isn't this the first time we're getting dromaeosaurs that are accurate and beautifully detailed?( in figure form at least)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Rain on May 22, 2016, 10:04:12 PM

Why's that? Isn't this the first time we're getting dromaeosaurs that are accurate and beautifully detailed?( in figure form at least)
It's also the first time we're getting figures of Troodon, Microraptor, Buitreraptor, and an alvarezsaurid that are accurate and beautifully detailed.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Shadowknight1

Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 22, 2016, 09:59:41 PM
We're only about $40 away from getting the roadrunner Saurornitholestes, and apparently we'll see the Zhenyuanlong package art later today!! hype!!!
Both done, and Zhenyuanlong's artwork is BEAUTIFUL! *tears of joy*

Victoria's Cantina

The expansion packs are going to be incredible. I just wish you could mix and match. Like, I really want the Troodon figure, but I'd prefer the wetlands set, and I really like the taller tree accessories. But it is what it is.

I really wish I could buy everything in this line, but there's no way I could afford doing that. Hopefully after he fulfills the Kickstarter pledges he will continue manufacturing these for sale. At least that way I could continue adding these to my collection a little at a time.

Dobber

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 22, 2016, 11:01:00 PM
Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 22, 2016, 09:59:41 PM
Both done, and Zhenyuanlong's artwork is BEAUTIFUL! *tears of joy*

I whole heartedly agree. Zhenyuanlong was the one Stretch goal I was really hoping for and it's artwork looks so wonderful. I hope the figure will translate well. I am curious how the arms/wings will work, though, with those long Primaries. I don't know if they can splay out similar to the box art.

I'm also very glad the Roadrunner S. Langstoni has been unlocked. I'm going to get that one instead of the white S. Sullivani

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Rain on May 22, 2016, 10:04:12 PM
For me a lot of these dromaeosaurs are so similar that depending on how you choose to apply the feathers most of them could look, "interchangeable" so to speak, in life. Most of these could easily pass as most of the others (sans Balaur), so I'm probably just going to choose my favorite one artistically and then use it as "x species of dromaeosaur" when needed. Whereas Buitreraptor and Mononykus aren't so similar to other species being produced in the series, so there isn't the same sort of feeling of potential overlap.

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 22, 2016, 10:10:18 PMIt's also the first time we're getting figures of Troodon, Microraptor, Buitreraptor, and an alvarezsaurid that are accurate and beautifully detailed.
Don't forget the electronic WWD3D Troodon. It's only issue is the lack of a facial disc (speaking of which, has anyone brought that up in the comments yet?).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: