You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digibasherx

More options going out today.  Ahhh.. I think my wallet just hit me across the head just now.

#9- Saurornitholestes langstoni (roadrunner colors)- unlocked at $245,000
#10- Zhenyuanlong suni (helmeted hornbill colors)- unlocked at $255,000

And then.. we get into the accessory packs! I will be posting a comprehensive update on these later today, but for now here's how they break down:

#11- Wetlands Accessory Pack- featuring 6" Buitreraptor g.- unlocked at $265,000
#12- Desert Accessory Pack- featuring 6" Mononykus o.- unlocked at $275,000
#13- Forest Accessory Pack- featuring 6" Microraptor g.- unlocked at $285,000
#14 Mountain accessory pack- featuring 6" Troodon f (juvenile).- unlocked at $295,000

Once unlocked, these accessory packs will be available to add to your existing pledge for $30US or $35 INT. Again, I will posting a much more detailed look at what is included later today.

And looking past those stretch goals, we have the two unpainted 'Build-your-own' Raptor sets.

#15 Build your own Raptor 1 (Velociraptor  body type)- unlocked at $305,000
#16 Build your own Raptor 2 (Atrociraptor body type)- unlocked at $315,000

Once unlocked, these sets will be available to add to your pledge for $40US or $45 INT

There will be more info  on the BYO Raptor sets in a few days.

And last but not least, there will be two more Jonathan Kuo related tiers listed within the next few days:

Exclusive Post card set no.2 (set of 7) (Adasaurus thru Linheraptor, plus V. osmolskae)- $15 (everyone)
2017 Beasts of the Mesozoic 2017 calendar featuring the art of Jonathan Kuo- $25 (everyone)

Digibasherx

Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 20, 2016, 01:14:10 AM
One thing I just realized is that in the package art, the placement of the primary feathers seems a bit off? I just noticed it and it's starting to bother me. It looks like the feathers just attach to the wrist as opposed to the second finger. I think I saw somewhere that it was that way on the toys just for technical reasons, but there's no reason why it should be that way on the art. It's most noticeable on the Dromaeosaurus and Adsaurus.

I don't think any of the raptors lived in a snow environment either, but it makes an awesome looking portrait.

Flaffy

I'm kinda disappointed that the accessory packs are further back than the repaints. I personally think that the Zhenyuanlong repaint should be further back as it only has 15 votes, compared to the others who are at 45 votes or above, but oh well. Either way, I hope the Kickstarter funding starts picking up the pace, it would be such a shame to see all those wonderful ideas (and obscure species) left unfunded!

terrorchicken

uh I would really love an accessory pack. I bet theyd be great as a general diorama as well as for the ks raptor figures. I havent pledged my velociraptor yet b/c I really want to see what these accessories will look like.. and if I should just pledge for them now or wait and buy them later if they get unlocked. And yes Im aware the deadline is in a few days...

Dobber

I upped my pledge one more time to $360...my wife is going to kill me :-\

Hopefully, the Sauronitholestes Langstoni will be unlocked. If so, I will get it instead of the Sauronitholestes Sullivani, which looks kind of boring. I will probably get the Dromeosaur/American Kestrel repaint. Still not sure about the Adasaurus as the colors are SO similar to Velociraptor. Also not sure about Linheraptor. So I may end up lowering my pledg back down to $325. Just depends on if S. Langstoni is unlocked.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

antorbitalfenestrae

Quote from: Digibasherx on May 20, 2016, 07:17:25 PM
Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 20, 2016, 01:14:10 AM
One thing I just realized is that in the package art, the placement of the primary feathers seems a bit off? I just noticed it and it's starting to bother me. It looks like the feathers just attach to the wrist as opposed to the second finger. I think I saw somewhere that it was that way on the toys just for technical reasons, but there's no reason why it should be that way on the art. It's most noticeable on the Dromaeosaurus and Adsaurus.

I don't think any of the raptors lived in a snow environment either, but it makes an awesome looking portrait.

We have fossils of dinosaurs from Alaska and Antartica tho, so I don't think that part is far-fetched. I just have problems with the anatomy

Shadowknight1

I will say, Dromeosaurus painted like a kestral is incredibly tempting.  But I still think that if I get a third, it'll be Balaur.  And I really want the forest accessory set with the Microraptor!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

ItsTwentyBelow

These accessory packs are a fabulous idea, and I'm totally hooked. I pledged for the nice blue Velociraptor as well, but now I'll also have to add at least one of the packs!

Waiting to see the finished pieces is going to be a killer, let alone the wait to finally receive them. Totally going to be worth it  ^-^

antorbitalfenestrae

I might be getting funding for this as a graduation present from my aunt and now I can't decide what else I would want to get...

I know I want the Velociraptor mongoliensis and the Zhenyuanlong, but since it's going to be a gift and not just my money I could get three even? It's made complicated by the fact that we don't have much more concept art or anything for most of them. I feel like the Pyroraptor color variant is too close to the V. mongoliensis (even though I love it), and the package art for Dromaeosaurus bothers me too much. The sculpt and color scheme for Balaur is also very nice and I might be leaning towards it, also because I really doubt there are any other figurines of it yet! But again I really, really hate the concept art. I feel like my feelings would change when I see the sculpts since the Saurornitholestes sculpt looks amazing and we don't have full prototypes for any others. Actually now that I think about it I do really like the Saurornitholestes roadrunner color variant, but, of course, it isn't unlocked yet!!

idk. someone should give me advice I'm terrible at making decisions like this

Dobber

I say pledge for the  Saironitholestes/roadrunner. I'm fairly confident it will get unlocked. If not you can either choose a different Raptor or just before the KS ends you can reduce your pledge amount. If it does get unlocked I just replace the current S. Sullivani with it. I think the color for Adasauris is WAY to close to the V. Mongoliensis, more so than Pyroraptor and since I only pledged up to Zhenyaunlong + 1 more I think instead of the Dromeosaur/Kestrel repaint, which sounds nice and Kestrels are beautiful, but I don't think it will translate well to a painted figure....like the Blue Velocirator IMO. So I think I'm going to get the Pyroraptor/Thrush repaint instead as it is a species I wouldn't have.

I agree about the Dromeosaurus thing with the primaries not on the second finger being troubling. I may also change the Adasaurus since it's coloring is SO similar to Velociraptor....idk. I want to ask David why he chose that particular color scheme, but I don't want to some like I'm complaining.

Chris

Flaffy

I'm kinda worried that the accessory packs won't get funded, I hope I am wrong. :-[

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Digibasherx on May 20, 2016, 07:11:59 PM
More options going out today.  Ahhh.. I think my wallet just hit me across the head just now.

And then.. we get into the accessory packs! I will be posting a comprehensive update on these later today, but for now here's how they break down:

#11- Wetlands Accessory Pack- featuring 6" Buitreraptor g.- unlocked at $265,000
#14 Mountain accessory pack- featuring 6" Troodon f (juvenile).- unlocked at $295,000

Once unlocked, these accessory packs will be available to add to your existing pledge for $30US or $35 INT. Again, I will posting a much more detailed look at what is included later today.

And looking past those stretch goals, we have the two unpainted 'Build-your-own' Raptor sets.

Once unlocked, these sets will be available to add to your pledge for $40US or $45 INT

And last but not least, there will be two more Jonathan Kuo related tiers listed within the next few days:

Exclusive Post card set no.2 (set of 7) (Adasaurus thru Linheraptor, plus V. osmolskae)- $15 (everyone)
2017 Beasts of the Mesozoic 2017 calendar featuring the art of Jonathan Kuo- $25 (everyone)

Not sure why they swapped Bambiraptor for Buitreraptor. What would you put on the base? None of the other figures lived in South America... All the other accessory packs "go with" one of the existing figures. Avisaurus would have been cool to have a Hell Creek environment represented, though I guess the juvi Troodon could stand in for Pectinodon.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 21, 2016, 04:19:11 PM
Quote from: Digibasherx on May 20, 2016, 07:11:59 PM

Not sure why they swapped Bambiraptor for Buitreraptor. What would you put on the base? None of the other figures lived in South America... All the other accessory packs "go with" one of the existing figures. Avisaurus would have been cool to have a Hell Creek environment represented, though I guess the juvi Troodon could stand in for Pectinodon.

He listens to fans heh

Quote from: Sim on May 19, 2016, 06:25:22 PM
The accessory sets sound very nice.  I think the only part that really interest me about them are the Microraptor and Mononykus though.  The Mononykus would be the first ever toy/figure/model of an alvarezsaur, I think?  I'm not keen on Bambiraptor as it seems likely it's actually a juvenile Saurornitholestes langstoni.  I've mentioned this to David and asked if the very long-snouted dromaeosaur Buitreraptor could be done instead of Bambiraptor.  I'd really like a Buitreraptor figure!  Here's the comment: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/992645470/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1580576?cursor=13405816#comment-13405815

Sim

I think the package art and concept art only represent the final figures to varying extents, as that's been the case with the currently completed figures.  The concept art for the first three can be seen here (Balaur's wings are also shorter in this earlier concept art): link  For comparison, the completed figures / package art (and newer Balaur concept art) can be seen here: link

I'm hoping the Dromaeosaurus's wings look more like the concept art than the package art, as has been the case with V. mongoliensis, Tsaagan and Saurornitholestes.  The only other Balaur figurine I know of is this one by brandem: link

Quote from: Dobber on May 21, 2016, 12:25:13 PM
I may also change the Adasaurus since it's coloring is SO similar to Velociraptor....idk. I want to ask David why he chose that particular color scheme, but I don't want to some like I'm complaining.

Hehe, I also wanted to ask David why he chose that colour scheme for Adasaurus given it's similarity to the original Velociraptor's, but I too didn't want to sound like I'm complaining!  Especially since I've already enthusiastically asked/said quite a bit!  According to a Facebook post the colour inspirations are the bearded vulture (for Velociraptor) and ornate hawk-eagle (for Adasaurus).  Comparing the two birds on Google images, it looks like the Adasaurus might look more different from the Velociraptor than I thought.

Shadowknight1

I say pledge for the  Saironitholestes/roadrunner. I'm fairly confident it will get unlocked. If not you can either choose a different Raptor or just before the KS ends you can reduce your pledge amount. If it does get unlocked I just replace the current S. Sullivani with it. I think the color for Adasauris is WAY to close to the V. Mongoliensis, more so than Pyroraptor and since I only pledged up to Zhenyaunlong + 1 more I think instead of the Dromeosaur/Kestrel repaint, which sounds nice and Kestrels are beautiful, but I don't think it will translate well to a painted figure....like the Blue Velocirator IMO. So I think I'm going to get the Pyroraptor/Thrush repaint instead as it is a species I wouldn't have.

I agree about the Dromeosaurus thing with the primaries not on the second finger being troubling. I may also change the Adasaurus since it's coloring is SO similar to Velociraptor....idk. I want to ask David why he chose that particular color scheme, but I don't want to some like I'm complaining.

Chris

How are you seeing Adasaurus as being close to Velociraptor in colors?  Adasaurus is varied tans and browns and greys.  Velociraptor is fiery orange with black wings.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 21, 2016, 04:19:11 PM

I knew Buitreraptor isn't known to have coexisted with any of the other figures when I suggested it, but the same was true for Bambiraptor (unless Saurornitholestes langstoni gets made) and Microraptor.  And Mononykus is only known to have coexisted with Adasaurus.  The Mononykus was also said to come with a Protoceratops skull despite no ceratopsians being known to coexist with Mononykus.  I did consider that the figures could be treated as generic to allow them to represent coeval species, but I thought that it would be unlikely for another genus to have the same external appearance as Microraptor to the degree of having the same combination of colouration and feather arrangement.  I also thought some of the existing figures wouldn't have any accessory pack that would be 100% accurate for them, even if the 'accessory' species were regarded as generic, unless things in the pack were excluded, e.g. in the case of Balaur and Acheroraptor.  I suggested Buitreraptor when only the first 3 packs were planned, the mountain pack hadn't been planned yet.  Without the mountain pack, I think there was other existing figures that wouldn't have an entirely accurate accessory pack available.

It's for these reasons I thought it could be very nice for this series that focuses on 'raptors' to have Buitreraptor which is a unique-looking dromaeosaur that's never been made.  David said he would rather sculpt Buitreraptor than Bambiraptor and acknowledged the Unenlagiinae aren't known to coexist with any of the existing figures, and said, "But the habitat theme matches up, and it's unique look will be a great addition to the other raptors I think."

That said, the point that the Unenlagiinae aren't known to coexist with any of the other figures is definitely valid.  I'd like the dinosaurs I get from this line to represent the species they are intended to be so the fact they may not have coexisted doesn't bother me.  I guess it comes down to whether to miss out on interesting species just because they aren't coeval.

I'm sorry that the inclusion of an unenlagiine isn't satisfying to some people, I didn't expect that but I can definitely understand why.  I thought most would be mixing species not known to coexist and use the figures as the species they are.  If you've backed the Kickstarter, you can share your thoughts/suggestions in a comments area.  If you feel a juvenile Bambiraptor/Saurornitholestes would be better than Buitreraptor I'm happy for you to tell David that.  Troodon is now planned as a juvenile, so it could be nice to go alongside that.  You could also suggest any other species for the accessory packs that you think might be better, like maybe a smaller troodontid?  I just shared what I thought might be good, but I'm interested in what others think as well!  If you have any thoughts on species/things that could make the accessory packs better, please do share them! :)

Yutyrannus

Will the deadline be extended, because I really want the last three accessory packs but I doubt five days will be enough time to fund them all...

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Flaffy

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 21, 2016, 07:58:32 PM
Will the deadline be extended, because I really want the last three accessory packs but I doubt five days will be enough time to fund them all...
I don't think it's possible to extend the deadline on Kickstarter.  :-\ I have the same worries as you, fearing that the accessory packs may not be funded in time. Lets all just cross our fingers, up our pledges and hope for the best.

Dobber

So I asked this question of David:

David, after the campaign has ended and we fill out our backer kit surveys with which stretch goal raptors we want (for those of us that unfortunately can't get them all) would we be able to change which stretch goal raptor we chose as you post updates on the sculpts? For me, I'm pledged through Zhenyuanlong + 1 more and I'm not sure which one to get. Plus I'm on the fence about Adasaurus as it's color scheme looks so much like the first Velocirator, that once some of the later prototypes are revealed I may end up prefering one of them instead of Adasaurus. I'm not talking about changing my pledge amount up or down, just changing which stretch goals I'd want using my already pledged total. I'm assuming since you would still be working on the sculpts that they have not been sent to the factory for the molds yet. Thanks for any help.

Not sure if anyone has already asked this, but does anyone know?

Chris

Dobber

Quote from: Sim on May 21, 2016, 05:48:24 PM
I think the package art and concept art only represent the final figures to varying extents, as that's been the case with the currently completed figures.  The concept art for the first three can be seen here (Balaur's wings are also shorter in this earlier concept art): link  For comparison, the completed figures / package art (and newer Balaur concept art) can be seen here: link

I'm hoping the Dromaeosaurus's wings look more like the concept art than the package art, as has been the case with V. mongoliensis, Tsaagan and Saurornitholestes.  The only other Balaur figurine I know of is this one by brandem: link

I may also change the Adasaurus since it's coloring is SO similar to Velociraptor....idk. I want to ask David why he chose that particular color scheme, but I don't want to some like I'm complaining.

Hehe, I also wanted to ask David why he chose that colour scheme for Adasaurus given it's similarity to the original Velociraptor's, but I too didn't want to sound like I'm complaining!  Especially since I've already enthusiastically asked/said quite a bit!  According to a Facebook post the colour inspirations are the bearded vulture (for Velociraptor) and ornate hawk-eagle (for Adasaurus).  Comparing the two birds on Google images, it looks like the Adasaurus might look more different from the Velociraptor than I thought.

Wow, your right! I see where the artwork is going now.....but I don't think it does the Hawk Eagle's colors justice. Maybe because it's in shadow or something. It looked like it had a similar black slash around the eye's but I can now see what he was going for. Can you post a link or list for what the bird inspirations are?

Chris

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: