You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's the rarest dinosaur in your collection?

Started by Raptoress, July 09, 2015, 11:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

My congratulations Ikessauro on your WWD ornithocheirus is like finding a four leaf clover.

For my part, my rarest figures are the miniature Battat tyannosaurus rex bought from an Italian seller and the Play Visions paleorchestes that I got thanks to the UK who mediated with an eBay seller. Those are the two rarest figures in my collection among others.

Also the diplodocus of Battat is another of the rarities that I have considering that it is a very expensive figure in the Ebay online market and that I got thanks to an American saleswoman whose figure I bought at auction and that fortunately no one bid for that immense sauropod.

Duna

I think no one will beat avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono with that unique piece, J @japfeif with the White Post complete set and even avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro with the WWD Ornitocheirus ... I'm not as lucky as @Faelrin because I opened the package of the WWD Toyway Tyrannosaurus (but I still keep it, as the package is wonderful).

Probably my rarest are, from the rarest to the less rare:
- Complete set of WWD 4 figures by Quick restaurants with their boxes. Also another one in its original package.
- 2 Jecsan recast hard plastic tyrannosaurus and 2 triceratops.
- 7 Ovomaltines.
- Complete set of El Cigarral dinos with an original package. A Danone Jurassic Park brachiosaurus in its intact package. A Spanish Montaplex "Animales Prehistoricos" surprise envelope.
- Inpro trachodon, Linde rhamphorrynchus ... and some others considered rare as Marx metallic grey Large Mold group, Starlux fishes and mammals ...
- 2 Invicta lambeosaurus, and some painted versions that are more rare as the Pteranodon, scelidosaurus ...
- A standing rainbow Papo tyrannosaurus.
- 1964 Sinclair dino set with the fair leaflet, Nabisco, Ajax ...

Cretaceous Crab

Hmmm.....probably the CollectA Deluxe Torvosaurus figure. Not much of a story behind it....I just waited until it was a half-way reasonable price on Amazon.

BlueKrono

The Quick restaurants WWD's are quite rare. I have only the Liopleurodon. Which Ovomaltines do you have?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Duna

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 02, 2021, 01:37:21 PM
The Quick restaurants WWD's are quite rare. I have only the Liopleurodon. Which Ovomaltines do you have?
I have a megatherium, baluchiterium, allosaure, iguanodon, triceratops, protoceratops and a blue yoplait stegosaure. I had two doubles but I sold them.

Do you have the Quick Liopleurodon? Congrats, you are very lucky, because that is the rarest. :) I found rhamphorrynchus to be the most common, along with the tyrannosaurus. I have the rest on sale if you are interested in only figures without boxes. They are very well done and display fantastic with the bigger Toyway figures.
These are mine with the boxes, cards and prints. Probably the most difficult and hard work I've ever had in my life to search for something. I wasn't as lucky to purchase all of them from a seller, I had to search for several months and hundreds of hours to complete the sets by myself. I cried with relief when I got the last one completed. You can't probably imagine how hard I worked to find them all. There are very few complete sets in the world.

Faelrin

avatar_Duna @Duna You are truly so lucky to have gotten your hands on those, and in such complete shape, as well as all the Toyway figures. The little display bases are nice touch (when complete anyways). It's amazing to see them all together as well. I think the Diplodocus and Rhamphorhynchus are lucky to have had those figures, despite their rarity, as Toyway never made figures of those.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

japfeif

Quote from: Duna on October 02, 2021, 02:52:40 PM
I have a megatherium, baluchiterium, allosaure, iguanodon, triceratops, protoceratops and a blue yoplait stegosaure. I had two doubles but I sold them.

Awesome set! I am digging that blue Stego! I knew you had some of these guys but it's great to see them! I always loved the Protoceratops, one of my favorite dinos (that never seems to get much love!) and it always reminds me of the old Pyro model from the 60s!

japfeif

Quote from: Duna on October 02, 2021, 02:52:40 PM

Do you have the Quick Liopleurodon? Congrats, you are very lucky, because that is the rarest. :) I found rhamphorrynchus to be the most common, along with the tyrannosaurus. I have the rest on sale if you are interested in only figures without boxes. They are very well done and display fantastic with the bigger Toyway figures.
These are mine with the boxes, cards and prints. Probably the most difficult and hard work I've ever had in my life to search for something. I wasn't as lucky to purchase all of them from a seller, I had to search for several months and hundreds of hours to complete the sets by myself. I cried with relief when I got the last one completed. You can't probably imagine how hard I worked to find them all. There are very few complete sets in the world.

Congrats on the set of the Quick dinos!!!! Honestly, I had never seen these guys before, they are awesome! I had heard of them but no one had a set that I knew of! Thanks for posting!!!   :)

japfeif

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 02, 2021, 12:51:29 AM

I recently acquired the model I considered my holy grail for years and it was a huge relief to finally complete my set. It is only fair I include it in this thread I guess.

The funny thing is, if you go back to page one, you'll see me saying in 2015 that I had the WWD collection minus this one.

Wow! Awesome  WWD Ornithocheirus! Truely I had no idea they were so crazy rare until I started reading it here! Congrats on your acquisition!

Dinoguy2

I'm not sure what would be rarest in my collection... I have a lot of pretty uncommon Carnegie variants which must have been in production for only a year or less, so in terms of numerical rarity it would probably be one of those.

Going by Doug's definition of "highly sought after, not sold a lot and when sold go for a lot of money", probably either my Invicta Lambeosaurus (which I did buy in the US do they were definitely sold here!), My v1 Battat Tyrannosaurus, or my (unglued) Carnegie Dinosaur Mountain. I would assume all of those things were made in greater quantities than the rare Carnegie variants, bit they're more expensive because more people collect them.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SBell

Probably the FaunaCasts Leedsichthys. AFAIK only five were purchased and I don't know if they actually all made it to their buyers.

Or the FaunaCasts Ptilodus. Only two of those, and one's in a museum!

Honestly, my rarest items are often figures like that. I was able to get a lot of FaunaCasts back when it was still an ongoing line.

ItsTwentyBelow

Hmm now this is an interesting to question.

I don't know much about it, but I still have my Carnegie Collection hollow dark gray plastic "play tray" with "The Carnegie Collection" stamped on the front in big letters, volcano at one end, and the fake sand texturing in the bottom. There are pictures of it in the old Carnegie Collection brochures from the early 90s. That may be my rarest piece, but I guess I don't really know how common they are compared to the display mountain. I played with that thing so much as a kid. Some of the edges along the base have broken off since it's pretty thin plastic. I need to get that from my parents after I can buy a house and have more space!

Other than that, maybe my Carnegie Australopithecus pair, Bullyland Deinotherium, Bullyland Arizonasaurus, or some of my original Battats are some of my rarest. There's probably something else I'm not thinking of.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on October 10, 2021, 07:35:36 PM
Hmm now this is an interesting to question.

I don't know much about it, but I still have my Carnegie Collection hollow dark gray plastic "play tray" with "The Carnegie Collection" stamped on the front in big letters, volcano at one end, and the fake sand texturing in the bottom. There are pictures of it in the old Carnegie Collection brochures from the early 90s. That may be my rarest piece, but I guess I don't really know how common they are compared to the display mountain. I played with that thing so much as a kid. Some of the edges along the base have broken off since it's pretty thin plastic. I need to get that from my parents after I can buy a house and have more space!

Other than that, maybe my Carnegie Australopithecus pair, Bullyland Deinotherium, Bullyland Arizonasaurus, or some of my original Battats are some of my rarest. There's probably something else I'm not thinking of.

The Carnegie playset is DEFINITELY more rare than the mountain. It's one of those situations where the mountain goes for much more money despite being more common. The reason is because everyone knows what the mountain is and some people want it as a display even if they don't plan on putting actual Carnegies on it. The playset is less durable so probably fewer exist, but when it sells it sells for less money... Because nobody knows it even exists so nobody is hunting for it. Same as the gold wash and dull wash variants. Most people don't even know to look for them so they only fetch a lot of money if they're spotted by the relatively few hardcore Carnegie nuts like me 😂
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Pachyrhinosaurus

My rarest would be: the FaunaCasts stegosaurus, Rush Studios metoposaurus and rutiodon, a resin master of the Battat dilophosaurus, and the euoplocephalus from the AMNH cladogram.

As far as toys I have the Bullyland dire wolf and protochirotherium, and older Carnegie variants.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Ah, the Bullhead dire wolf - looked for years for one, to no avail.

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 16, 2021, 12:35:11 AM
The Carnegie playset is DEFINITELY more rare than the mountain.

Interesting, thanks for sharing some info about the playset, Dinoguy2. I've never been able to find anything about it online. Always liked to "perch" the Carnegie Pteranodon on the volcano.

Mine definitely has a few cracks around the edges of the base, but it's still fully functional. My hope one day is to have enough extra space to keep it out on its own desk that I can roll a chair up to, and keep my CollectA and Safari paleo tree models displayed in it. Could even use it to create some quick Jurassic World scenes.

Lynx

Quote from: Lynx on October 01, 2021, 12:47:06 PMCurrently its the Carnegie 1998 Rex which arrived at my house earlier this year. I'm also waiting for the Papo rainbow acrocanthosaurus to arrive, which afaik is their rarest figure as of right now.
None of them are too rare, but the rarest in my collection.

Well, it's been a year, may as well give an update.
I ordered the wrong Acrocanthosaurus, so while that would have been my rarest figure, it won't be for a long while. I deeply regret not refunding the wrong order and getting it, because it's worth a pretty penny now.

My current rarest figure as of this writing is my Carnegie Velociraptor (2015) and Carnegie Diplodocus remake, both of which are a bit hard to come by.

Besides Carnegie figures, I do not own much value, though I have an unidentified oldie from somewhere around the 1960s! My oldest current figure, and maybe my rarest.
An oversized house cat.

Pliosaurking

My Carnegie Tylosaurus hands down!
It's such a beautiful figure, and while it's a bit outdated it's still in my eyes second only to PNSO's Tylosaurus.

SidB

Probably the Battat T-rex, version 1, though the v.2, which I also have isn't far behind.

Dyscrasia

Probably these.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: