News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nakasato Real Series

Started by Daspletodave, July 12, 2015, 11:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettnj

If anyone wants a very few words or phrases translated, please forward the complete text with them emboldened or underlined, whatever makes sense.  I'll forward to my source.

Patrx

Quote from: Sim on July 16, 2015, 07:58:46 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on July 15, 2015, 03:12:49 PM
According to the ebay listing (from a Japanese seller) it is Sanchuryu- a Gallimimus. Click on the Deinocheirus pic at upper left of this page.
I can't see the ebay listing or Deinocheirus picture you're referring to...

Here, have a link! :) The seller is also offering some of the other figures.

Sim

Thanks Patrx!  Was it one of the ads shown at the top of a Dino Toy Forum page?

Patrx

Quote from: Sim on July 16, 2015, 09:35:47 PM

Indeed, but I don't see it anymore :o  I wonder how those are selected and if they vary significantly between users?

Sim

Quote from: Patrx on July 16, 2015, 09:37:36 PM
Quote from: Sim on July 16, 2015, 09:35:47 PM

Indeed, but I don't see it anymore :o  I wonder how those are selected and if they vary significantly between users?
I wonder too.  I didn't see that ad at all. 

Halichoeres

"Sanchuryu"/"Sanchusaurus" are quite far apart from Gallimimus in time though so it's interesting it's being suggested as possibly synonymous with Gallimimus.

You're right, that is odd! I hadn't noticed that, but yeah, it's like 20 million years. If the remains are as meager as the Wikipedia page seems to suggest, it's probably not enough to erect a new genus, but I'm not sure why someone would have decided it was a Gallimimus specifically, rather than a contemporary of the Sanchu specimen.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Daspletodave

My Nakasatos arrived (thanks to Brett).
These models are huge!

The Tarbosaurus bataar is almost exactly the same size as the Carnegie Albertosaurus.
The Tarbo and Sanchuryu come in their own clear plastic case. The Saichania chulsanensis and Protoceratops andrewsi come in sturdy cardboard boxes. Even so, my Protoceratops arrived broken and will need supergluing.
The Saichania measures 14 inches long or about 36 cm.
The figures are resin, not plastic.

Patrx

Good golly, that Tarbosaurus is brilliant! I want to like the ornithomimid, but ... does it have teeth? And are its hands pronated?

brettnj

The Tarbo and Sanchuryu come in their own clear plastic case. The Saichania chulsanensis and Protoceratops andrewsi come in sturdy cardboard boxes. Even so, my Protoceratops arrived broken and will need supergluing.
The Saichania measures 14 inches long or about 36 cm.
The figures are resin, not plastic.

To be clear, Kevin had already repaired the figure when he contacted me.  I offered to replace the proto at no cost (and he kindly but unnecessarily declined).

I want everyone to know that we stand behind what we do and that in the one year we've been doing this we've not had a complaint.

I also wasn't aware these are resin and will take extra care with future shipments, of which there are already many for these figures.

Daspletodave

The ornithomimid Sanchuryu does have teeth (lower jaw only) and its hands are pronated.

Gwangi

Those are fantastic. Especially the Tarbosaurus, I've been wanting a good tarbo. Much larger than I anticipated, I thought they would be WS sized.

Patrx

Quote from: Daspletodave on July 17, 2015, 09:35:37 PM
The ornithomimid Sanchuryu does have teeth (lower jaw only) and its hands are pronated.

Alas! Everything else about it is so charming, too  :-\

Sim

Without using Google Translate, on some (not all) of the pages for individual figures there's actually a good amount of information in English if one scrolls down a bit.  I completely missed this until now!  It was late when I made my previous post in this thread, that definitely didn't help!
On the original Japanese website, there's now each figure's name in English and more information in English on individual figure pages that wasn't there before: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopbrand/ct14
So maybe, the info in English I thought I'd missed as I said in the above quote was actually not there originally.  That would make sense as I don't remember seeing it when I first viewed some of the figure pages, and ARUL also said:
Quote from: ARUL on July 12, 2015, 11:25:32 PM
That is a nice website thanks unfortunately for me its fully japanese language..

Daspletodave

The Nakasato Protoceratops

The Protoceratops measures 9 inches long.

Daspletodave

More pics of the Nakasato Tarbosaurus. He matches the Favorite Tyrannosaurus in length, so 1/50 scale is a good bet. He's also the same size as the Carnegie Albertosaurus.
None of these Nakasato dinosaurs are meant to be detachable from their bases.

Daspletodave

The Nakasato Saichania and Sanchuryu

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on July 17, 2015, 09:46:43 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on July 17, 2015, 09:35:37 PM

Alas! Everything else about it is so charming, too  :-\
So I'm having a hard time finding information on this specimen; some sources say Late Cretaceous (in which case it makes sense to refer it to Gallimimus), and some are saying Early Cretaceous (in which case Gallimimus makes less sense). But if it's Early Cretaceous, it would make sense to have some teeth--after all, Pelecanimimus was pretty toothy. It's a shame about the wrists, but to me the wings make up for it. If it's really just a Gallimimus, though, yeah, I can see the teeth being irksome.

Also, a modest proposal: that this thread be renamed "Nakasato Real Series" and be moved to the Dinosaur Toy Lines board. Moderators, what do you think? (PS--thanks to Daspletodave for all the pics.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Roselaar

These models are gorgeous! So where do I get them and how much will they cost me? :)

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 18, 2015, 05:15:26 PM
So I'm having a hard time finding information on this specimen; some sources say Late Cretaceous (in which case it makes sense to refer it to Gallimimus), and some are saying Early Cretaceous (in which case Gallimimus makes less sense). But if it's Early Cretaceous, it would make sense to have some teeth--after all, Pelecanimimus was pretty toothy. It's a shame about the wrists, but to me the wings make up for it. If it's really just a Gallimimus, though, yeah, I can see the teeth being irksome.
That's odd that some sources say its from the Early Cretaceous and others say the Late Cretaceous!  The teeth of the Sanchuryu figure look like those of Harpymimus which appears to have teeth only in the front of its lower jaw.  The Sanchuryu figure also has dewclaws.  I think I remember reading somewhere basal ornithomimosaurs have dewclaws while derived ones only have 3 toes on each foot but I can't find anywhere that says this at the moment (if anyone has any more info on this please do share it!).  I think the Sanchuryu figure is intended to depict a basal ornithomimosaur (so not Gallimimus) due to the teeth (and maybe the dewclaws).  The website is going with it being from the Early Cretaceous: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopdetail/000000000214/ct14/page1/recommend/

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2015, 12:11:56 AMThat's odd that some sources say its from the Early Cretaceous and others say the Late Cretaceous!  The teeth of the Sanchuryu figure look like those of Harpymimus which appears to have teeth only in the front of its lower jaw.  The Sanchuryu figure also has dewclaws.  I think I remember reading somewhere basal ornithomimosaurs have dewclaws while derived ones only have 3 toes on each foot but I can't find anywhere that says this at the moment (if anyone has any more info on this please do share it!).  I think the Sanchuryu figure is intended to depict a basal ornithomimosaur (so not Gallimimus) due to the teeth (and maybe the dewclaws).  The website is going with it being from the Early Cretaceous: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopdetail/000000000214/ct14/page1/recommend/

Ah, right you are. I hadn't even noticed the dewclaws. And the package photo Daspletodave posted says Barremian, which is really quite early (also 6 m would be very large for this clade at that time!). At any rate, this looks like an uncommonly good figure of a basal ornithomimosaur and I'm looking forward to receiving the one I ordered.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: