News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nakasato Real Series

Started by Daspletodave, July 12, 2015, 11:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Daspletodave on May 19, 2019, 05:54:55 PM
Something very odd happening here, maybe a forum member can help. All of my photos had been stored on Photobucket. When that site started demanding payment I stopped using it (although my old photos are still there). As a result, all my photos from Photobucket were deleted from my old postings.
Now, as I can plainly see above, my Photobucket photos are back! I have not paid them anything, so I don't understand how the photos have reappeared.
Has this happened to anyone else?

After the furious backlash to the exorbitant fee they proposed, they relented and reinstated at least some users' photos. So for people who were storing relatively modest numbers of photos, they're showing up again.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

New Moroccan fish, with Spinosaurus accessory ;). avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres There seems to be 3 species of fish present in the diorama, could you ID them?

avatar_brettnj @brettnj Question: Has the Kanna Saurolophus been retired? I don't see it on the website anymore.

brettnj

Yes, it and several other Kannas have been retired.

I actually just sent the YAJ and Mercari search links for them to my mailing list as others have asked about about some of those in question.

Brett

Halichoeres

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy That doesn't look like any coelacanth known from the KemKem beds. To the best of my knowledge, the only coelacanth described from there is the giant Axelrodichthys lavocati (often called Mawsonia, but according to Carnier Fragoso et al. 2018, these specimens are closer to Axelrodichthys than to the type of Mawsonia). It's possible that the angle of the photo is tricking me, but mawsoniids have a longer snout and a more concave profile than what this figure appears to exhibit. This figure looks like a Miguashaia head on the body of a more crownward coelacanth. To me, this diorama looks like another example of a company going to great pains to update their theropods for any minor tweak, but putting next to no research into their fish. But bonus points for not including another alleged Onchopristis that's actually just a copy-pasted modern sawfish.

I can't see the other fishes well enough to identify them, but I can say confidently that they're actinopterygians. The larger one could be a holostean like Adrianaichthys.

Edited to add: bonus points for not painting the generic coelacanth in gombessa colors.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

thedeadlymoose

The Real Series Sanchuryu ("Gallimimus") was on the retired list. It's now been re-released with a new (more muted) color scheme: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopdetail/000000000214/ct14/page1/recommend/

Halichoeres

Quote from: thedeadlymoose on July 14, 2021, 07:42:03 AM
The Real Series Sanchuryu ("Gallimimus") was on the retired list. It's now been re-released with a new (more muted) color scheme: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopdetail/000000000214/ct14/page1/recommend/

Interesting, I prefer the original, but this one looks like nice too!

On the fish, I have them in hand now and can confirm they aren't identified in any way. I think they also aren't identifiable--the coelacanth is inaccurate to any Kem Kem species and there too many actinopts from the formation to be positive about the ones included here. I think it's pretty likely that no actual fish fossils or photos thereof were consulted.

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2021, 11:55:09 PM
Quote from: thedeadlymoose on July 14, 2021, 07:42:03 AM

Interesting, I prefer the original, but this one looks like nice too!

I agree! I prefer both old version -- the blue/green one and the one that looks like this new one but with a bolder color scheme -- but those have been extremely hard to find. This one, at least, is easily acquired with Brett's help.

And I do like it. As we all know, small feathered dino species are hard to come by, especially non-dromaesosaurs.

GojiraGuy1954

I prefer Safari's Deinocheirus, but If I remember correctly it had not been released by the time this thread was first created
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 10, 2021, 07:43:16 AM
I prefer Safari's Deinocheirus, but If I remember correctly it had not been released by the time this thread was first created

The Safari Deinocheirus is one of my favorite dinosaur figures all around. As an example of its species, it's equalled only by the 2019 Kaiyodo Deinocheirus. I think that didn't quite count in my head because Deinocheirus, while obviously an ornithomimosaur, looks WeirdTM. I love it, but it doesn't scratch the same aesthetic itch.

I fully expect that if avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson did any other ornithomimosaur, it would take the crown for the best option out there of its kind. Just like his feathered Coelophysis.

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2021, 11:55:09 PM
On the fish, I have them in hand now and can confirm they aren't identified in any way. I think they also aren't identifiable--the coelacanth is inaccurate to any Kem Kem species and there too many actinopts from the formation to be positive about the ones included here. I think it's pretty likely that no actual fish fossils or photos thereof were consulted.

Ah, well, that's a shame. Hoped that at least some of them would be worth adding to my Kem Kem biota collection. :'(
Thanks for the ID attempts avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres !