You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World 2 official release date 2018

Started by The Arc, July 23, 2015, 11:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Arc

It's been announced,  here's a video of me going over an article and some of my own commentary on the matter.  What do you guys hope for in the sequel?
https://youtu.be/-421MTo6sTY

stargatedalek

I hope it gets a bigger budget and as such more practical effects!

The Arc

Same here!  I sure hope they would apply more $ toward animatronics and I believe to some extent-  they would if they had it. 

Hermes888

Quote from: The Arc on July 24, 2015, 12:16:18 AM
Same here!  I sure hope they would apply more $ toward animatronics and I believe to some extent-  they would if they had it.
I doubt they would've added more animatronics with more money. Was 150 million dollars not enough? The original did a better job with less.

The Arc

Lol.  Sad,  but most likely the unfortunate truth :/

Gwangi

Quote from: Hermes888 on July 24, 2015, 01:17:57 AM
I doubt they would've added more animatronics with more money. Was 150 million dollars not enough? The original did a better job with less.

Similar blockbusters like "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" ($279.9 million) and "Transformers: Age of Extinction" ($210 million) had even higher budgets. The original "Jurassic Park" had a $63 million budget but you have to consider factors like inflation too. And while "Jurassic Park" certainly looked better, it was a case of less is more. The dinosaurs were only on screen for 15 minutes in that 2 hr. 5 minute movie. Certainly "Jurassic World" delivered more dinosaur screen time which is what you would expect from a sequel in the 21st century. We live in an age where practical SFX unfortunately do cost more than CGI. Making a CGI T. rex is a lot cheaper than building one. That may not have been the case in 1993 but it is now.

All I ask from a sequel to JW is not to give us too many transgenetic dinosaurs, like the Stegoceratops or *gasp* dino-humans. I'm sure there will be military involvement but that plot line needs to be handled with care.

Hermes888

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2015, 01:56:55 AMAll I ask from a sequel to JW is not to give us too many transgenetic dinosaurs, like the Stegoceratops or *gasp* dino-humans. I'm sure there will be military involvement but that plot line needs to be handled with care.

I'm really not looking forward to the sequel. It's not that I hated Jurassic World (I had a fun time watching with friends), but I really hate that they set up a sequel with military dinosaurs and weird crap like Indominus that are just glorified SyFy monsters.

I'm surprised they never revealed that the Indominus had human DNA in the mix. I guess they'll save that for the sequel when they finally want to cash in on that abandoned concept art from a few years back.

Dinosaurs with guns. The only way to out dude-bro Jurassic World.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm sure they might create more Indominus creatures..I've heard from a score of kids this year asking why don't we have an Indominus Rex here?  I just tell them we are working on getting one from Ingen but they've had some issues recently..  lol

I don't recall there being a specific mention of human dna in the creature anywhere though?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2015, 01:56:55 AM
Quote from: Hermes888 on July 24, 2015, 01:17:57 AM

Similar blockbusters like "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" ($279.9 million) and "Transformers: Age of Extinction" ($210 million) had even higher budgets. The original "Jurassic Park" had a $63 million budget but you have to consider factors like inflation too. And while "Jurassic Park" certainly looked better, it was a case of less is more. The dinosaurs were only on screen for 15 minutes in that 2 hr. 5 minute movie. Certainly "Jurassic World" delivered more dinosaur screen time which is what you would expect from a sequel in the 21st century. We live in an age where practical SFX unfortunately do cost more than CGI. Making a CGI T. rex is a lot cheaper than building one. That may not have been the case in 1993 but it is now.

All I ask from a sequel to JW is not to give us too many transgenetic dinosaurs, like the Stegoceratops or *gasp* dino-humans. I'm sure there will be military involvement but that plot line needs to be handled with care.
Suppose it isnt the military and that terrorists, right out of todays headlines, get control of some of the dinosaur material and....well...let your mind wander.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinomike

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 24, 2015, 03:58:57 AM
I'm sure they might create more Indominus creatures..I've heard from a score of kids this year asking why don't we have an Indominus Rex here?  I just tell them we are working on getting one from Ingen but they've had some issues recently..  lol

Haha! :))
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Viking Spawn

As I already posted in the other thread, summer 2018 is going to be a HUGE year for me!   

http://deadline.com/2014/08/godzilla-2-release-date-2018-819502/

I wonder if Legendary gets cold feet and moves their date?  Granted, both films are scheduled a few weeks apart, but poor Godzilla will get lost in the hype of JW I'm afraid...   :-\

Patrx

As others have opined, I am quite worried about a JW sequel. The saving grace of the first one was the functioning park, which was a new and interesting experience that fans have always wanted. Without that, what's left? More freakosauruses? Militarized 'raptors? That seems to be where they're headed and it reeks.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 24, 2015, 03:58:57 AM
I've heard from a score of kids this year asking why don't we have an Indominus Rex here?
Ah, man. That's just depressing.

As for Godzilla 2, they've nowhere to go but up :)

stargatedalek

I have nothing against indominus or the idea of hybrids in general. As I see it every dinosaur in Jurassic Park is already a sci-fi monster, Jurassic Park has never been about accuracy post the decision to be made into a film. The point I would draw the line of insanity at would be when the hybrids no longer look like real living animals. None of the JP animals have ever looked like their real life counterparts, but they always looked and felt alive, and I feel indominus isn't any different. Indominus may not be based on a real animal (I'd argue it LOOKS more like a real dinosaur than most JP theropods, but perhaps that's just biased because there's no particular theropod to compare it to and point out its flaws) but it still felt real.

Patrx

I hate to go down this rabbit hole again, but the first movie was very much about bringing current dinosaur science to people while showing them an entertaining adventure movie. There were exaggerations and flaws even then, but the sequels are where the "monster-movie" thing really got started.

The issue that I have with the hybrid thing isn't that it's stupid. I don't mind stupid. in fact, movies like Godzilla (2014) shoot themselves in the foot by trying not to be stupid. What bothers me is that the hybrids undermine the fact that dinosaurs are already interesting without being modified or exaggerated. If we want kids to respect not only prehistoric life, but modern biodiversity, we have to make movies that show that animals are not to be assessed based solely on how intimidating or weird or dangerous they are. The closer JP/JW gets to monster-movie aesthetics, the less inspiring and useful it becomes in that regard.

As an aside, and at the risk of seeming contradictory - Excellent signature gif, Viking Spawn! That's the highlight of that movie  :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on July 24, 2015, 04:07:21 PM
I hate to go down this rabbit hole again, but the first movie was very much about bringing current dinosaur science to people while showing them an entertaining adventure movie. There were exaggerations and flaws even then, but the sequels are where the "monster-movie" thing really got started.

The issue that I have with the hybrid thing isn't that it's stupid. I don't mind stupid. in fact, movies like Godzilla (2014) shoot themselves in the foot by trying not to be stupid. What bothers me is that the hybrids undermine the fact that dinosaurs are already interesting without being modified or exaggerated. If we want kids to respect not only prehistoric life, but modern biodiversity, we have to make movies that show that animals are not to be assessed based solely on how intimidating or weird or dangerous they are. The closer JP/JW gets to monster-movie aesthetics, the less inspiring and useful it becomes in that regard.

As an aside, and at the risk of seeming contradictory - Excellent signature gif, Viking Spawn! That's the highlight of that movie  :D

I'm actually hoping for a corporate espionage deal with a should have been main character returning..Lew Dodgson.  He's the true villain the series needs.  His goals now that is up in the air. Using him finally will bring back fans.

The movie does address your concern in it though, I mean two characters observe that realistic dinosaurs are spectacle enough...but the fickleness of today's society is so overwhelming the I-Rex is made.

I've been looking at Viking Spawn's gif there myself..l wonderful animatronic work..just look how realistic looking it is compared to the CG shots we ended up with.

Viking Spawn

I agree with Patrx in that there are so many cool "real" dinosaurs out there, there really isn't a need to create hybrid ones.  But unfortunately, I don't think the studio is going to see it that way.  With the huge success of JW, they are going to have to do something different, yet, do something to top themselves.  Meaning, they'll have to come with a new idea that will be even bigger than JW to keep selling movie tickets. 

My biggest fear is that they'll get too carried away and we get a creature in the realm of John Carpenter's "The Thing."  We already seen active camouflage like in the Predator films...

Oh and BTW, glad you like the signature fellas!   :)

And I can't get over the fact that June 2018 is going to be an explosive sci-fi creature month!

Gwangi

And don't forget that we also have "Skull Island" in March of 2017. A year before the other two but still something to look forward to. I am anyway.

stargatedalek

I have a bad kind of feel that Goji is going to get lost in the JW hype and JW is going to get lost in the HTTYD hype...

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 25, 2015, 12:12:50 AM
I have a bad kind of feel that Goji is going to get lost in the JW hype and JW is going to get lost in the HTTYD hype...

There is a lot of overlap in interests with those three movies so I'm not too worried. Reptilian monsters, dinosaurs and dragons? Bring it! Just about anyone that will watch Godzilla will also watch JW. But they all have their niches too. Godzilla fans will see Godzilla regardless, as will JP fan, as will HTTYD which will also snatch up the child demographic.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2015, 10:33:21 PM
And don't forget that we also have "Skull Island" in March of 2017. A year before the other two but still something to look forward to. I am anyway.

I forgot about that one!   Oh yes, I do have that on my must see list as well.   That, and Pacific Rim 2 which is scheduled for August 4th that summer!

Its a great time to be a giant creature feature fan!!!!    :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: